Microsoft Jealous of Call of Duty Release Schedule

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Microsoft Jealous of Call of Duty Release Schedule

If a Call of Duty game can be released every year, why can't the same be true for Halo?

Microsoft has made Halo: Reach [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103659-Microsoft-Halo-Reach-the-Best-Selling-Xbox-Exclusive-In-History] recently did on a yearly basis.

"There's no explicit strategy that says we're to ship a Halo game every year," Spencer told IGN. "I will say I think one Halo game every three years -- which was kind of our old cadence - is probably not frequent enough."

"We're coming up on, what, next year is the 10th anniversary," he continued. "You watch the change in gamers in 10 years. The percentage of players who are playing Reach that were I'll say not old enough to play Halo 1 at the time, 10 years is a long time between launches. We definitely think about a more persistent Halo engagement for customers and not going dark for two years, and Live helps obviously with multiplayer to keep people engaged."

Spencer says that 343 Industries, which has taken over the helm of Halo in Bungie's absence [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100329-Bungie-Signs-Deal-With-Activision], is "thinking a lot about how to take this franchise and turn it into something that people feel like they have an ongoing relationship with." However, he indicates reluctance to force a developer to ship a new Halo every year, saying: "But it's not, hey every November 6 or whatever we have to ship a game and build a production plan around that. We want to do things that make sense as a first party."

Microsoft definitely looks at the yearly release model successfully managed by Activision with Call of Duty in a positive light, with Spencer candidly stating: "I used to look at annual releases of non-sports games as people just trying to milk me. I figured nobody had enough time to do a good job, and all of the negatives that we would associate with those kinds of scenarios. Kudos to Activision because they've done a good job building a good game, continuing to release each year and I think the fans feel like it's a good thing that they do that."

Spencer thinks Halo is a bit different than Call of Duty though, because it's "a story based game built around a certain set of characters, which is a bit different than what they do with Call of Duty." It's harder to release a game every year within a defined universe than with a military FPS that can go anywhere.

I'm getting the idea that Microsoft has big plans for Halo now that it can potentially do whatever it wants without resistance from Bungie. As long as 343 and Microsoft put out quality products, they should keep the interest of fans no matter the release schedule.

Thanks for the tip Ranger19 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/ranger19]!

Source: IGN [http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1122586p1.html]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The key with the CoD schedule is the double studios, rather than rushed one year developed games, they have rushed two year developed games.

Thankfully, from the sounds of things, they don't want one Halo game every year. Just more of them.

I wouldn't mind a "Mass Effect style" Halo Shooter/RPG...The lore and setting are certainly already in place.

Or a Halo Wars 2, which is the closest we've gotten to a successful console RTS, unless R.U.S.E. changed that when I was completely ignoring it.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Practically every CoD was developed by a different house.

Which means microsoft is angry it didn't exert more contractual control over it's development houses.

Kotick is winning.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
YAY! let's all be like Activision and milk the motherfucking shit out of EVERYTHING that racks sales!

no.... Halo is a higher quality title that takes longer to make because more stuff and polish is put into it...

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I think that they should release a game when it's actually fully completed. Because a new CoD game comes out every 2 years (alternate companies) When the game does come out, there is a sense of incompleteness about the game. I bet that if they took a little more time making the CoD games, then when they ARE released, they would be a lot better.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm...

Halo 3.. 07
ODST,...09
Reach ...10

Whats to be jealous of.. they seemingly have gotten on that track themselves.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Crap, a strange double post just happened and now I am confused...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
They can do whatever they want to Halo IF it's a quality product, and just as Onyx Oblivion said, the key is having multiple studios working on it, so that it doesn't turn as a rushed piece of crap. I'm still waiting for Microsoft to do it's Halo ports to the PC...

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Fortuan said:
Is it a good thing that Bungie isn't in-charge of Halo?
Yes. It is a very good thing. Now Bungie can give their talents to a new game. A now beginning.

Of not Halo.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Does it matter? I garuntee people will hate the next Halo game for no other reason than it'll be different. I really, really pity 343 Industries; they've got a lot to live up to. If they try and make it too similar to past Halo games they'll be accused of be unoriginal and if they do things differently people will complain because of changes.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
YAY! let's all be like Activision and milk the motherfucking shit out of EVERYTHING that racks sales!

no.... Halo is a higher quality title that takes longer to make because more stuff and polish is put into it...
This, havent they noticed that Halo is good and COD is sjit.
ACTIVATE FLAME SHIELD!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
TheRightToArmBears said:
Does it matter? I garuntee people will hate the next Halo game for no other reason than it'll be different. I really, really pity 343 Industries; they've got a lot to live up to. If they try and make it too similar to past Halo games they'll be accused of be unoriginal and if they do things differently people will complain because of changes.
343 really does have their work cut out for them, as all they've done so far is Halo Waypoint.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Fortuan said:
Is it a good thing that Bungie isn't in-charge of Halo?
I sincerely doubt it will be. Remember:
At the end of the original trilogy, Master Chief doesn't actually die. Hell, he can even be seen floating towards a planet.
Ten bucks says they will milk this dry.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I think it's good that they're considering their options rather than just saying "yeah, we'll do a Halo game each year".

I think the franchise would benefit from annual installments, but not annual games. It's already established as a multimedia franchise, so there's nothing saying that they couldn't do something in the style of Halo Legends every other year. That'd keep up interest in the franchise while 343 would have enough time to make the next game.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Oh god, what the hell? Come on, I'm sick and tired of people stupidly saying that the Halo franchise is being milked, because it's obviously not.

But if Microsoft become even more greedy and try to pump out more installments just for the hell of it the milking accusations will finally be right.

Please, just don't...

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
The key with the CoD schedule is the double studios, rather than rushed one year developed games, they have rushed two year developed games.
Exactly. That's the main difference.

His point, that Activision releases CoDs more frequently and people are into that, is also somewhat moot seeing how much flak Treyarch's CoD got and how many people fucking hated MW2.

I'm sure they'll keep buying them to a certain extent, but you hurt your franchises when you release too quickly, just like Bungie hurt Halo with ODST.

Bobkat1252

The Psychotic Psyker
Mar 18, 2008
No, just no, Microsoft. Halo's done for now, put it in a box and store it away. Maybe in another 5-10 years you can make another one but as for now the only halo game that could still be made without being unnescessary is a second Halo Wars. I loved the Halo series and I would hate to see it go the way of the Star Wars movies: unneeded sequals that detract from the quality of the series as a whole.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I think Ill wait til next gen for more halo, and they would have more games if they were switching off games between a good studio release and a bad studio release of the franchise, two free guesses which is which.