Valve: PC Gaming Alive and Well, But Developers Off Their Game

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Valve: PC Gaming Alive and Well, But Developers Off Their Game

Valve's marketing vice president and frequent spokesman, Doug Lombardi, laughed off the idea that PC gaming is dying, but said other developers need to get with the program.

"I mean, I think, we sort of laugh at it," Lombardi said of increasingly high-pitched concerns over the viability of PC gaming in an interview with Shacknews.com

"Because we've been wildly successful - we're very fortunate, you know. Our games have all done really, really well, Steam has taken off and become this whole other business for us, Valve has never been in better shape - and yet everybody is talking about how in the PC world, the sky is falling," said Lombardi.

Lombardi pointed out that the sales data often cited to buttress claims of a dying PC industry do not include MMOG subscribers, Steam users, other customers of digital download services, or even other countries.

"NPD, god love 'em, they release a U.S. retail sales report, and people take that and say that's the world picture. And it's just not true...if people were looking at WoW's subscriptions alone and factoring it in, looking at Steam sales and factoring it in...Just look at what Popcap's doing - Bejeweled and Peggle and all this stuff - they're not in that NPD data."

Lombardi also said part of the brouhaha was effective PR by console makers and the absence of anything similar on the PC front.

"It is absolutely a perception problem. I mean one of the things that happens is - Microsoft has an army of PR people that work for Microsoft. They have at least two agencies that are additional armies. Nintendo I'm not as familiar with their PR outline, but I'm sure it's similar. Sony is similar. The PC has nobody," he said.

At the same time, Lombardi blasted developers for not taking accurate stock of what computers gamers have, and for aiming only at the high-end. He contrasted this with his own company, which conducts surveys twice a year to gauge the horsepower of gamers' computers.

"You know, it's hard to be able to have games that scale, and to write performance on the high end, and write performance on the bottom end, but you know, winning in any industry means some hard work, and there's a certain level of hard work that developers have to take responsibility for," he observed.

Source: Shacknews.com [http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=873&page=2]

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
What I'm hearing from developers currently is basically "boohoo, it takes effort to please PC gamers" : P

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Well, this is Valve, probably one of the best PC developers out there... maybe more PC devs should look up to Valve for inspiration and guidance... Or they can continue to moan and ***** about 'how the sky is falling'.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
I think Valve should start up a new ESA and get a more active, effective and truthful voice of the gaming industry out there.
Anyway, so far, Valve has made a lot of good and well timed decisions, Steam was a risk but it paid off handsomely. All of their games are quality over rushed releases and/or expansion pack milking. When Valve talks, the industry should listen.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Unfortunately Sera is very right. Valve are almost single handedly keeping PC gaming going by sticking to their guns of releasing good, well polished games that deliver what they're supposed to and offer very good support there after. As anyone who's into gaming will have recently heard about 2k Boston's DRM shite checking the game every ten days, Steam does that too. But why do people accept Steam more easily? For one, you don't get any limited installs nor do you have to contact a company like SecuRom if something goes haywire or someone hacks your account. You can, at any time you like to any computer you want, download any Steam game you have. The only cravat? You can only log into your Steam account on one computer at a time. That's not at all bad. Steam also keeps your games up to date, there's a good shop and an ever widening collection of games to buy. I was even able to get the Hexen games! I couldn't get them to run on XP at all and I was able to download them from Steam and they worked straight away. *Sighs* Cherished, gauntlet clad memories. PC gaming could really do with a unified Steam like option. And yes, I am aware that not everyone has broadband and there are the few ISPs out there that don't like Steam for some reason but those people are shrinking in number every week.

PC gaming needs a Valve like service to encompass all PC gaming and Steam is the best program for the job, particularly now since Valve have released the development kit to allow developers to include their games to Steam and even give them achievements to rekindle new life into them.

errorfied

May 11, 2008
I'm in complete agreement with Valve here. I was never a big P.C gamer until I discovered portal via steam when they were giving demos away for free if you had any nvidia hardware. From there, I've slowly been downloading pretty much everything Valve have to offer. I didn't even like FPS games before, but they just make such great games it actually doesn't matter.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Doug Lombardi said:
Lombardi also said part of the brouhaha was effective PR by console makers and the absence of anything similar on the PC front.

"It is absolutely a perception problem. I mean one of the things that happens is - Microsoft has an army of PR people that work for Microsoft. They have at least two agencies that are additional armies. Nintendo I'm not as familiar with their PR outline, but I'm sure it's similar. Sony is similar. The PC has nobody," he said.
We need a flag. A Steam flag or som'thing.
No flag, no market.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
I think that some PC developers are often too willing to blame their failures on the PC market, rather than themselves for making a bad game.

"It's not our fault we made a bad game! It's the PC markets fault for not buying bad games like console user do!"

Darkshade505

May 24, 2008
Valve is awsome in a lot of respects. first off they care! you can tell by just playing games such as TF2 the emmotion and effort put into that. The NEW FREAKING DOD SOURCE is awsome!!! beta is out now! I made a error and bought a extra tf2. emailed them and got refuned without a fuss at all. all im saying is that valve do make TONS of mistakes but they fix them sooner or later (depending on how many people complane but common no one is THAT good) over all valve is one of my fav companys right up beside 3D realms

Darkshade505

May 24, 2008
I think that valve is on the top of the PC market or near it. i think its time to take a step up! i would love to see a steam commercial on tv god knows they can afford it. (not a bad thing) the think that makes Steam somehting that i think will never die is that its self sufficant. if valve one day just fell into a coma and stoped making games and only the steam deparment was alive it would still florish becuse of other games that are added.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
The PC market has changed; those developers are successful who have changed with it. New demographics and new play styles dominate the PC landscape. Valve has remained successful with the older style of development because they're among the best, and if you're the best at what you do, you can always find a market (if you look in the right place). But the rank and file don't have the luxury of selling whatever they want to make.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Poor Valve, so deluded... PC gaming is like the weak beach wimp to Console Gamings enormous bully, sure, I suppose there's something good about it, but it is clearly the inferior of the two.

Plays2

Oct 8, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
Poor Valve, so deluded... PC gaming is like the weak beach wimp to Console Gamings enormous bully, sure, I suppose there's something good about it, but it is clearly the inferior of the two.
I suppose you're an obvious console tard. I play console games and PC games and wonder what platform do I play the most?

PC, of course.

I tended to play PC games since I was 7 and played Doom happily and I almost completely ignored consoles because I already knew that PC's had a lot more potential than consoles and that's an obvious fact.

So yeah, I disagree with your post and now I consider you for a console tard. Congratulations...

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
And that, my friends, is how you identify a console tard...
I agreed with that entirely.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I would game on my PC but... I don't have the $2000 necessary to get it up to spec. Once PC gaming pulls its head out of its own ass and starts making games that can run smoothly without constant upgrading then gimme a call.

Plays2

Oct 8, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
I would game on my PC but... I don't have the $2000 necessary to get it up to spec. Once PC gaming pulls its head out of its own ass and starts making games that can run smoothly without constant upgrading then gimme a call.
You are indeed a console person :D

And I know it because certain console players (Not all of them) pull comments out of their asses without knowing what they're talking about. Just like you did.

Look, I bought my new Dell laptop for 1200$ and it runs Bioshock very good and smooth (I love the Nvidia 8600M and Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz!) and I will use it for 5 years until I decide if it's outdated or not.

What really grinds my teeth is that people think they need a lot of money to upgrade a PC and upgrade it every 6 months, that's just stupid in my opinion. Everyone who shells out 3000$ or more on a PC surely doesn't know how to spend money.

*Sigh* I wish people would stop thinking that PC gaming needs a hardware overall every six months. I'm playing modern games on my current two year old desktop for crying out loud, most of them still on HIGH.

By the way, consoles in terms of prowess are obsolete the day they come out. When I ordered my new Dell Laptop, it was running games better than the Xbox 360 version, if it was multi platformed. Hell, it still does. And don't start a console vs. PC debate in here. I will defend PC's tooth and nail.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
...and PC gamers are overtly defensive and elitist. Always referring to people who use consoles as unintelligent nitwits who can't tell their assholes from their elbows, two can play at the insult game.

Anyway, directly on the comments... your dell laptop still costs $1000, most consoles cost half that and are pretty much garaunteed to run anything that comes out on them.

Also my PS2 has lasted me for 7 years of gaming, whereas my PC can't run anything anymore.

Plays2

Oct 8, 2007
When did I said that console gamers are stupid? I have some friends that are console gamers and I respect the things or platforms they like and I wouldn't obviously start an argument on what platform is better.

Don't get me wrong, I own a PS3 and I also love it. Sometimes I tend to play the PS3 more and sometimes I play PC more.

PedroSteckecilo said:
Also my PS2 has lasted me for 7 years of gaming, whereas my PC can't run anything anymore.
That's your problem, you didn't upgrade it. But then again, I won't change everyone's tastes. I respect them. But the reason I got pissed off in this argument was that you were saying that PC gaming is inferior to Console gaming and that is not true.

I should have said that when we were in this argument...

Oh well, let's not continue with this argument.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I guess you got me then, my arguements are invalidated because I'm too lazy to bother looking up prices for more cost effective PC gaming.