BioWare's Baldur's Gate Coming to GOG.com

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
BioWare's Baldur's Gate Coming to GOG.com

When Good Old Games comes back online there'll be at least one giant RPG reason to fire it up again.

If there's one thing that can make gamers forgive Good Old Games for faking its own death [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103694-Good-Old-Games-Not-Really-Gone], it's the release of truly awesome games that aren't easily acquired elsewhere. GOG.com teased "new, huge releases" when it said that it was relaunching tomorrow, and now we know that one of those releases will be BioWare's Baldur's Gate.

What can I say about this. Baldur's Gate is the best RPG of all time. Too much? Well it's at least one of the best RPG series to ever grace the rock we're flying through space on.

There's a reason why BioWare calls Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Pc/dp/B001IK1BWC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1285202242&sr=8-2] the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate instead of just a brand new cool IP. Baldur's Gate was released way back in 1998 but I would challenge any modern RPG to provide the same amount of content, even if the graphics may have aged a bit.

Baldur's Gate, whose gameplay is based on the 2nd Edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and which takes place in the Forgotten Realms, allows players to create their own class from a variety of choices, to roll stats, and to pick from the get-go whether they're going to be an evil bastard or a knight in shining armor. Through the huge main storyline and the mass of sidequests available, extremely memorable party members will cross your path, though the most evil or most good will take exception to your actions as you choose to kill innocent NPCs or to help them find their lost kitties.

It's also... well just play it, it's awesome, and ideally it'll still come in at the GOG.com price of $9.99 or less. And where Baldur's Gate shows its face, hopefully Baldur's Gate 2 can't be far behind. I forgive GOG for their sins already with this announcement, and as its founders say in the video, even more games should await us tomorrow.

Apr 28, 2008
Well this does make me feel a little better. But I won't be taken so easily by games.

Unless that game is System Shock 2. Then all will be forgiven.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
I never really hated them in the first place, maybe because i never bought from them, but this would be a good first try i suppose =)

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
they are.... NOT good actors, or salesmen for that matter. they were very dry. they should hire someone to pimp their stuff out. OH!!! GET WILLIAM SHATTNER! i hate him as an actor but i love him advertising that travel agency site.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I hope they get Total Distortion too, the files on my disk are corrupted and I don't wanna buy another disk...

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
Baldur's Gate was actually the first RPG I've ever played.

It changed my gaming life.

Thank you, Bioware.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I've never used GOG before, anyone who can tell me if they do anything more than make the games work on modern OS's? (Like removing/altering resolution limitations? Tried playing Baldurs Gate again a few years ago but the MASSIVE border around the active screen just made me barf...)

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
RejjeN said:
I've never used GOG before, anyone who can tell me if they do anything more than make the games work on modern OS's? (Like removing/altering resolution limitations? Tried playing Baldurs Gate again a few years ago but the MASSIVE border around the active screen just made me barf...)
You can play Baldurs Gate at a high resolution with a little fiddling.

Can't remember what exactly but I didn't install much.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'm gonna get blasted I'm sure for this, but I never played Baldur's Gate. I have played Dragon Age Origins, and in terms of content it is vast.

So, could one of you Baldur's Gate Veterans give me a proper comparison in terms of content and execution between BG and DA:O?

steamweedlegoblin

Apr 28, 2010
If Baldur's Gate is coming to GOG, I'm willing to bet my left nut that it won't be long before it also comes to Steam - which is hands down a better digital download service. I'll be waiting for that before I make a purchase.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I'm shocked they finally got permission from WotC to release it.

Just the same, if they get it optimized for XP I'll get it. I still have the old disks, but the installer hates modern windows systems.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
OK...they cosplay as roleplaying monks and ask for forgiveness?

Apology fucking accepted.

I'll check out their catalogue once it launches tommorow.
Just checked their site and they appear to have Simon the Sorcerer...OMFG OMFG OMFG!

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
I'm gonna get blasted I'm sure for this, but I never played Baldur's Gate. I have played Dragon Age Origins, and in terms of content it is vast.

So, could one of you Baldur's Gate Veterans give me a proper comparison in terms of content and execution between BG and DA:O?
For some perspective. DA:O is my favourite game to come out in the last.... 5 or 6 years.

I still think BG is better.

I sound like a massive Bioware fanboy but really I've only played a few of their games, I didn't like Neverwinter that much.

Anyway, Bauldur's Gate is bigger, but only if you have the burning desire to explore. If you're the kind of guy who does what the NPC's suggest and such, maybe you'll finish it quickly but I didn't complete it until 2005. I got it in 1998. Admittedly I rerolled about 50 times to try out different combinations.

There's so much you can do. So very much.

I would suggest getting it.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
So who was idiotic enough to ever uninstall this game in the first place? I've had it constantly on more than one computer since it was released - along with Planescape and Fallout, naturally.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Jhereg42 said:
Just the same, if they get it optimized for XP I'll get it. I still have the old disks, but the installer hates modern windows systems.
Works fine on my XP systems - just an occasional crash from the loading screen (and, to be honest, it probably did that from day one).