Consumers not Willing to Buy New TV For 3D, Finds Survey

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Consumers not Willing to Buy New TV For 3D, Finds Survey

A survey has found that 3D isn't a big enough draw to get people to spend a heap on cash on new equipment.

3D gaming might have hit a snag, at least on consoles, as a survey found that more than eight out of ten people don't consider the ability to view 3D media enough of an incentive to buy a new television. Additionally, more than half of the participants said that they wouldn't be willing to pay extra for 3D.

A study published by Deloitte, a consultancy and risk management firm, found that 83% of the people polled wouldn't buy a new TV just for 3D, and 60% didn't think that 3D was a worth paying a premium for. The study also found that 31% of people didn't think that 3D enhanced their viewing experience, and a further 13% found that watching things in 3D actually made them ill or uncomfortable.

Opinions about 3D weren't uniform across all age ranges though. The 1,960 people polled ranged from 14 to 75 years old, and at the younger end of the spectrum, around 40% said that they would buy a 3D TV that required glasses and 55% said that they would buy a 3D TV that didn't require glasses.

This seems like especially bad news for Sony, as it seems to be pouring a lot of resources [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103343-3D-Best-Enjoyed-on-Big-Screen-Says-Sony-Boss] into 3D media across all branches of the company. It's still very early days for 3D though, so it's probably best not to start writing obituaries just yet.

Source: CNET [http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20017254-17.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20] via Geek.com [http://www.geek.com/articles/news/study-finds-home-consumers-just-dont-want-to-pay-for-3d-20100923/]

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
LOL. I would understand why the younger end of the spectrum would say they would get a 3D TV. Get the TV through the parents money.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Um....duh?

Most of us are strapped for cash right now as it is. On top of that, we are forced to wear those dorky-looking glasses to fully enjoy the TV. I would rather not fork over that amount of money just so I can have blood or dust seemingly hit me in the face due to whatever is going on in the picture.

Sorry, but I just fail to see how anybody could justify a purchase like that. Not many devices support 3D yet, let alone games.

[sub]Who designs these studies? How dumb do they think we are?[/sub]

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
lol did we really need a survey for this? i mean ive seen 3d tvs their nothing special it doesnt enhance anything to me

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I'm not surprised. If I had the free cash to blow on a 3D TV I might consider it, but as a person who doesn't have an infinite amount of disposable income, I'm looking at the best quality for the least cash. 3D would undoubtedly lash on an uncomfortable amount of moneys to the pricetag.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Commence slow clap nnnnnnnnow

-clap-

-clap-

-clap-

-clap-

The only way 3d could potentially be viable is nintendo's current 3ds system. No glasses needed just Tv. It would also need to cost as much as the current tvs do. This way people don't feel ripped off when they need to buy something else to make the image more 3d and last man in doesn't get left out when there are no more pairs of 3d glasses, as well as making it a viable option to own.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
SnootyEnglishman said:
I'm not surprised here. 3D is just a gimmick and will die out soon enough.
To be fair that's what they said about videogames :p.

Not really suprising I mean:
1. It's a recession
2. Everybody only just upgraded to HD
3. It's kinda gimmiky

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Well everyone has been buissy buying expencive home cinemas that are surprised that people are not throwing out there old hardware or giving it to the childs room so they can have 3d at home.
But what can I say by TV still has a back to it.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I actually own a 3D TV and while it's cool, there is only ONE movie in 3D. Even Avatar is out in 3D. Not to mention, the glasses cost $200 a piece.

*sigh*

I will still try it with MW2 soon though :)

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
"It's still very early days for 3D though"

Actually, 3D technology has been around since 50s. It's very early days for this modern-day 3D, though, which is further proof the format is not going anywhere. Better get used to 3D, because it's going to be the norm soon enough.

Spinwhiz said:
Not to mention, the glasses cost $200 a piece.
Wait, seriously? Are these glasses special in any way, or are they just the standard black-frame 3D glasses you get at a theater?

Must be why they tack 3$ onto movie ticket prices.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Survey shows that people are not made of money, especially not in the vicinity of a huge economic collapse.

And to misquote Ashen
"In 2012 all 3D televisions will be recalled, when it's discovered that 3D is crap."

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Have to say it; No shit Sherlock.

It's a gimmick. Hell, all the "3D" I've seen doesn't even look 3D. Just shit.

And no, I didn't see Avatar in 3D. I'm sure THAT looks 3D, but that was designed from the base up to be shown in 3D, while most other '3D' things weren't.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
I actually own a 3D TV and while it's cool, there is only ONE movie in 3D. Even Avatar is out in 3D. Not to mention, the glasses cost $200 a piece.

*sigh*

I will still try it with MW2 soon though :)
Do you feel like you invested in the technology too soon? I mean if the only real 3D movie currently out is Avatar, then doesn't that sort of limit your use of the TV?

I'm not flaming you of course, but based on what you just said, the TV seems like a bit of a waste right now.

OT: I don't have the money for a 3D TV at the moment. I'm too busy saving for a better living residence so I won't be tossing any money at a TV anytime soon. *sigh*

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Femaref said:
And on another note, grass grows and birds fly.
sunshines, and brotha? I hurt people!

Did they even really need to do a study? I guess it helps them realize that they're wasting their time, either that or they're going to have to do something in order to catch peoples attention.

Kind of like how I'm sure Nintendo did a study with the Wii to figure out just who to market it too.