Good Old Games Will Be "Done" In 250 Games

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Good Old Games Will Be "Done" In 250 Games

Retro PC digital distributor Good Old Games thinks that there are "only so many" good old games out there.

Current digital distribution platforms like Steam and Direct2Drive have it easy: New games come out almost every day, so your library is slowly expanding all the time. For retro gaming institution Good Old Games, however, their library is inherently limited: By definition, all the games that it could ever conceivably host have already been released.

Speaking with GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-09-27-good-old-games-250-more-games-and-well-be-done], GOG managing director Guillaume Rambourg said that there would come a day when there were no more good old games to be had. "I believe we are running after roughly 200 good old games," said Rambourg, "and then I think the PC catalogue will be pretty much packed. There are only so many good old games. 450, 500 and then I think we'll be done."

"It took us two years to get 230 games," he said of the service's current library, "[So] I think it will still take us at least another year, maybe two years to get to 400. We still have much on the plate." The service was aiming for one "key" publisher per quarter, Rambourg said, and was so far performing "above expectations."

GOG has been in the spotlight recently for its controversial Baldur's Gate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103694-Good-Old-Games-Not-Really-Gone] to its library when it relaunched.

That's one down, 249 (or so) to go.

Catch the full interview with Guillaume Rambourge at GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-09-24-gogs-guillaume-rambourg-interview].

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Then when they finally get 500 games:

"PSYCH BITCHES! WE WENT BACK IN TIME AND MADE MORE OLD GAMES! WE CAN CONTINUE FOREVER!"

I'm fucking calling it!

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Starke said:
Honestly, I just want to see System Shock 2 on their list.
That is, sadly, not happening. None owns the copyright to System Shock 2 in its entirity so no one can release it legally. The same thing goes with Grim Fandango.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Starke said:
Good call. I think are going to run into problems finding new great titles to add. Most of the post 2005 classic games have been either Blizzard or Valve and I don't see them rushing to to release there back catalogue to a third party no drm vendor.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
SteelStallion said:
That makes no sense. The good old games library grows larger as more time passes and more titles are considered "good old".

Another few years and a lot of the early-mid games of this decade will be good old stuff.
That's the first thing I thought. It's like they forgot time progresses in a forward direction at all times.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
The list of "new" old games is going to get dry pretty quickly. In 4 years they exhausted the list of games from about a 15 year time period. When they mine it dry they'll have to get by on all the 2005 releases in 2012

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Blue-State said:
Hubilub said:
Then when they finally get 500 games:

"PSYCH BITCHES! WE WENT BACK IN TIME AND MADE MORE OLD GAMES! WE CAN CONTINUE FOREVER!"

I'm fucking calling it!
Quick someone call the Doctor, THE PROPHESY MUST COME TO PASS!

Actually, if they just drag it out long enough, by the time they get to 500, the ones we have now will be old to! =D
FTFY

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Just so long as they eventually get the old Humongous Entertainment adventure games. Those were awesome.

P.S. Thanks

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
So wait they have one game and have 249 to go? So they gotta catch em all? If so they're missing mew.

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
Browsing their catalogue there's a ton of good stuff in there, amazing just how many of those games I've got / had.
Warmed my heart a little to see that Unreal and Unreal 2 were there, even more so to see people talking in the comments about XMP. God I miss that :(

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
The definition of what is or is not a good game depends on the USER...not the site.

Here is an example. I hate the game World of Warcraft. It is a horrible game that sucks in mindless zombies around the globe. HOWEVER there are people out there that love it.

I love the Halo games.....but then there are people that hate them as well.

That said a site cannot say what is a good game or not. It is in the eyes of the person that chooses to play that game.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
Starke said:
That is, sadly, not happening. None owns the copyright to System Shock 2 in its entirity so no one can release it legally. The same thing goes with Grim Fandango.
The universe is always like that with anything good and interesting. No problems figuring out who owns garbage but if it's good it's usually a muddy issue at best.

OT: So long as they remember that the games have to be good aswell as old. Too many people confuse the idea of an old game that is good and a game being good because it is old.