Report: Europe Embracing Gaming

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Report: Europe Embracing Gaming

People across Europe are coming to see videogames as among their top leisure activities, according to new research.

A report by the Interactive Software Federation of Europe took a look at people ages 16 to 49 across 15 markets, and found that 40 percent of respondents said they played games between 6 to 14 hours per week.

The majority - 72 percent - said they played for fun, while 57 percent play to stimulate their imagination; 45 percent said gaming makes them think.

The research further showed that 81 percent of gamers with children play with them and that more than half monitor their children's playing.

The majority of those who said they did not indulge in gaming cited time constraints as the limiting factor.

"Our research findings cement what those who work in the industry understand as a given, namely that videogames hold a recognized place in today's entertainment culture. The people that are videogaming today are of all ages, of both genders and of all nationalities," said Jens Uwe Intat, chairman of the ISFE board.

Source: Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/research-shows-growing-videogame-popularity-in-europe]

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Here in Britain I've found video gaming to be exposed pretty well, with many good up-and-coming UK games makers selling successful games. However, I'm glad to hear that video games are becoming more respected on the mainland. I've heard that video games have been subjected to restrictions that other art forms to not have to comply to, especially in Germany.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
even here it can be pretty apparent with the ratings put on games, the BBFC does movies and game ratings however a lot of the time it's quite easy to spot them giving pretty relaxed ratings to movies and harsher ones to games even if they share very similar content.