273: Second Real Life

Catie Osborn

Aug 31, 2009
Second Real Life

We meet hundreds of people online in forums, MMOs or late night fragfests, but these interactions are usually quick and meaningless. Catie Osborn discovers how some online relationships are more complex than you might expect in a place like Second Life.

Read Full Article

TraderJimmy

Apr 17, 2010
...Wow.

o_O

I'm not sure who I feel more sorry for in that situation. This kind of drama is exactly why I stayed the hell away from Second Life. Kind of lame that he told you - for all he knew you could've been an EDiot, and after that it'd be game over, man.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Ok...

Intense stuff to think about right there. I'm going to have to excuse myself and go distract my mind for a while. Good article.

ZelosRaine

Sep 20, 2010
This article made me think of .hack/sign, specifically of Subaru. Really, we all do not do enough for the people around us.

GeoPB

Jun 10, 2009
Brilliant article, similar things happen with Habbo and games like that, weird to think about the person on the other side of the computer. It detaches us far too much. Strange, very strange.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Very good article, and strangely similar my experience with second life, I was originally drawn into the game when I first left home, was very alone and thought whats the harm in trying something like that to get some social interaction. I'd always dismissed this sort of thing in the past, "MSN with avatars" I'd say cynically. Since then... well my account has been active for about 3 years now, 3 years of meeting fascinating people from all over the world that I wouldnt have had a chance to before, heck about a year ago I even had someone from tennessee fly over to the UK to spend a week with me, now how often does that sort of thing come about from a game of Starcraft or TF2... in short its been 3 years that have drastically changed my view of the online community, any online community.

Think the most fundimental thing I brought away from it all is that everything online, be it forum posts, avatars etc. are all people, before then I was very cynical, with my outlook I was essentially treating them like some AI, the same way I would a bot or an NPC in a video game, not real people with real feelings and emotions.

While I rarely frequent the world of SL these days, through a combination of RL commitments (work, family and so on) and slightly offput by the drama inherent in an online community, spent a lot of time on SL playing agony aunt or shoulder to cry on to people, not necessarily unwillingly to my "close friends" on there but there are times I just dont feel up to it. I do know the people I've met on thier and the time we shared, I wouldnt change it for the world.

Lorechaser

Aug 28, 2004
My wife logs in to SL 2-3 times a week to play dress up, make a few items for her store and then quits. I consider it much cheaper than actual clothes shopping....

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
FTA (emphasis added):
'While I still occasionally unleash my wrath on the unsuspecting n00b who's just blown my kill streak or mucked up a quest, ever since that strange interaction in Second Life, I've done my best to be kind to the gamers I encounter. I have realized that I will never really know the full story of that rogue who just ganked me, and so I try to make sure every impact I have is a positive one, because sometimes the smallest gestures are the ones that make the biggest impact, especially to people like K.

Beyond that, I learned that worlds like Second Life may be a den of scum and villainy upon first glance, but some very real people have a need for the interaction, companionship, comfort, and friendship that can be found within that select group who "actually play this."'

Just like real life.

Once again proving my theory that who you are online is who you are in real life; being an asshole doesn't get a free pass and being kind matters especially to those who do not experience enough kindness.

I hope more people take that idea to heart.

Shaz

Mar 27, 2009
I don't play Second Life, but I am a MMORPG junkie. While my situation isn't even remotely as dire as K's, I'm mostly house-bound. The majority of my social interaction is online, and all I can be is grateful that this wonderful thing called The Internet came into being in my lifetime. It means I don't spend the majority of my time stuck in this house completely alone. Sure, the people I'm interacting with aren't here physically, but I'm still *interacting* with them. It's far better than being a passive bump on a log staring at the television!

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
wow...that was one of the scariest f*cking stories I have ever read ever...I hope that dude finds a way to get out of this situation without having a suicide on his hands.

I would say "lolz" but that would make me a terrible person.
:(

(Insert name hear)

Jan 22, 2009
ZelosRaine said:
This article made me think of .hack/sign, specifically of Subaru. Really, we all do not do enough for the people around us.
As a fellow, .Hack fan, I think you for this comparison. Anyways, nice article.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Yeah... I know this only too well.

For me, it was IMVU, which is different, but the same general ideas apply.

You'd be surprised what can happen. I somehow fell in love with someone I'd never met except online, and that immediately turned into an outright disaster.

And that's despite being a fairly cynical and careful person, knowing full well how silly this kind of thing can seem.

That doesn't change what happened, so all I can say is, be careful. it may not be a 'real' world, but the pain it can cause the unwary is real enough.

Typecast

Jul 27, 2008
That youtube video of that kid having a massive tantrum over his mum deleting his WoW account? Yeah now I feel bad about laughing at it :(

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
Second Life, WOW and many others clearly offer a real life raft to people otherwise trapped in their lives. Even though I don't participate in them myself I appreciate the articles I read that offer stories like this, I think it is a fantastic unintended benefit of the online universe.

A great recommendation, Catie. Let's be honest, kindness is forever in short supply in the world and is always welcome and beneficial, no matter the setting. Life can be hard, cruel and brutish and we all should strive to be more considerate than we feel like being.

It's never wasted effort and we never know what life shaking ramifications the smallest kindness we offer might create.

It's always worth doing.

Loquacia Loon

Sep 29, 2010
This is a very good post and an interesting cautionary tale. Avatar people are vessels for real emotions.

I've been in SL for three very happy years and romance hasn't been on my agenda at all. I am thrilled though at all the friends I have made - really interesting people from around the globe - and how I have been changed by the experience.

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
I guess I never thought about it like that before. I used to think that people in games like this don't really have much in the way of "Kindness" but I do understand that maybe they're in situations like this.

ScottocS

Mar 27, 2009
That was quite the thought provoking article. Im actually quite glad I read these week to week.

It would seem a lot of people do take advantage of the "anonymity" when playing or interacting online. It really doesn't have to be that way though.

I wonder if more people were made aware of these kind of interactions, that they might change the ways they interact with people online for the better? o_O

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Wow, what an interesting and nifty read. I too used to think only of the silliness of pouring time and money into something like Second Life. This has certainly opened up my perspective on the human side of gaming in that environment.

Jaegerwolf

Sep 29, 2010
To give a bit of the flip side of this situation, I remember meeting a young woman on SL years ago while playing hockey (yes there are organized sports in SL, look up GOHA) who a friend introduced me to. She was going through a messy divorce and just needed some support since she didn't really have friends our her and her husband was a control freak.

So we became friends and along with others got her through that tough time in her life. After she finally got the bum out of the house, we started to talk more and decided to meet at least once in RL before she decided whether she was going to move back home to Europe.

Three years later she became my wife :)

We both still play Second Life (finally dragged her onto the ice), and enjoy having fun with our friends both online and off. We also consider ourselves lucky to not end up in the drama that can take place there, or really any online game if you think about it. Only advice I can offer is don't go looking for romance online. If its something that's likely to last it'll come and find you when you least expect it