Kotick: New IPs Aren't Given Away, They're Earned

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Kotick: New IPs Aren't Given Away, They're Earned

If an Activision studio hasn't proven its worth, it won't be creating a new IP.

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick says it likes the company's studios to retain their identities, but they might have to earn the right to do so first. Despite criticizing EA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103781-Kotick-Takes-a-Swing-at-EA] for not allowing its studios to retain their "independent vision," that same vision at Activision appears to come with a cost.

Speaking in Edge magazine, Kotick says that studios usually have to be "successful" to be able to go and create a new IP. "In the last year, we've taken four or five big bets - Blur [http://www.amazon.com/Singularity-Bonus-Exclusive-Graphic-Playstation-3/dp/B003M2T8IS/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285682575&sr=8-2] were completely new," he said. "That's more than we usually would do, but in each case there was a very good reason why the developer chose to do it."

But these IPs aren't just given away. "Our process isn't that we say, 'Neversoft, you make a new IP,'" he continued. "When they wanted to make Gun [http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Xbox-360/dp/B0009Z3I0A/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1285682591&sr=1-1], they certainly earned the right to make new IP. They came in and said, 'This is our idea,' and we provide a lot of the research that will tell them how to think about the product."

"Then they go off and make the game they want to make, and we try and be supportive. You have to earn the right to do that, so it's usually the really successful studios that get the right."

He then says that typically Activision's successful studios haven't wanted to make anything else other than what made them popular. "The really insightful developers realise that the pathway to innovation is greater from a proven property that has an audience... There are so few new IPs that are introduced successfully."

Doesn't this sound a little bit like Activision allows an "independent vision" with reluctance? It's smart business sense, but with Kotick saying that EA stifles its studios by making them follow EA's rules, it seems somewhat hypocritical from a company doing that appears to be the same thing.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=266952]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
oh shut-up Kotick, people should be able to make a new IP regardless.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
It almost doesn't matter what Activision does now. Even a very public hanging of Kotick wouldn't bring me back to any of the titles they make. A company that is not fun to work for will not make fun games. I sure wouldn't be too happy working for the Anti-christ of gaming.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
It is a very good business strategy, but Kotick just has no idea what he's actually saying.
I just think he's a really good real life troll.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
"The really insightful developers realise that the pathway to innovation is greater from a proven property that has an audience... There are so few new IPs that are introduced successfully."
Is that a direct quote? If so, the wording there paints a very egotistical portrait of Kotick. Otherwise, it's just him failing to understand the complaints about the industry nowadays.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
So you have to have conformed to the company line to be able to be individual? Hmm...not sure if that's the best way to encourage new ideas and free thinking. I mean DJ hero isn't exactly a huge step from gituar hero is it? Nor is blur "NFS done with weapons!" I'll grant prototype was original, mind.

I suppose it saves having to ditch small companies left and right when 'great new idea #1' turns out to be 'grand mishmash of bad execution 9000#' and taking a loss on said mess.

However; why not just offer start-ups a small budget with a fixed maximum ceiling and publish the game regardless of quality.
If it does badly you might recoup the costs in a few sales and worst case you didn't incur a big loss. It looks like Activision are willing to cut projects with tens of millions spent on them already so this shouldn't ruffle many feathers.

If it looks to have potential but was badly done you can give the idea to an established studio and just keep small company as an idea factory publishing small budget games. Maybe under and Indie child publisher?

If it was a good idea and well executed take them on properly and see if they can handle corporate commissioned work. They do well at that then you grant them a big budget for their next IP and yank the chain for 'IP milking #12' every few years.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
"I should hire some people to do public relations for me...", Bobby said while chewing the head of a small puppy and soaking his feet in a bucket of human blood.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
No matter how Kotick explains things or takes shots at other companies, it always turns out that he's the bad guy. Maybe if he just shut up for a month or so, he could make a comment that would make him look even worse.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
wow, more kotick bashing... @the_root_of_all_evil wont like this
OT: the mans a moron. give him some lego and hope he doesnt hurt himself.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
LawlessSquirrel said:
Tom Goldman said:
"The really insightful developers realise that the pathway to innovation is greater from a proven property that has an audience... There are so few new IPs that are introduced successfully."
Is that a direct quote? If so, the wording there paints a very egotistical portrait of Kotick. Otherwise, it's just him failing to understand the complaints about the industry nowadays.
It does look like a complete load of tosh. All he's saying is "Games makers know that if we don't make money from their game, or can it just because we can, then no publisher will ever touch their idea again. However small tweak of big names will probably get by us and become normal game features"

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
hahahahaha i need to hire this Clown for my Nephew's Birthday party. He is TOO funny! XD