Enslaved Inspired by Journey to the West and ... Moonlighting?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Enslaved Inspired by Journey to the West and ... Moonlighting?

The head of Ninja Theory said that not only is Enslaved loosely based on the Chinese novel Journey to the West but also the American 80s sitcom, Moonlighting.

Enslaved stars Andy Serkis of LOTR-fame as a agile prisoner named Monkey. The female gadgeteer, Trip, enslaves Monkey and forces him to help her escape a post-apocalyptic New York City that is vastly overgrown with jungle foliage and robotic monstrosities. Chief of design at Ninja Theory, Tameem Antoniades, said that in addition to the widely reported similarities in story to Journey to the West, he modeled Monkey and Trip's relationship on the bickering of Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis in the 80s comedy series, Moonlighting.

"One of my earliest games ... was called Destructoid [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_World_(video_game)]. "You form this emotional bond with this weird alien that's kind of helping you, and you're helping him, and you can't speak the same language."

Antoniades said that even though other games have had that kind of a partner character, such as Yorda in Ico, no game had gone far enough with that kind of relationship. "Nobody actually tried to do it like dramatically, like real up close and personal, like you would a TV drama."

"Actually, this is showing my age ... Moonlighting with Cybill Shepherd, I actually used that as a bit of an influence as well."

As someone who grew up in the 80s, I have a certain fondness for Moonlighting and how it portrayed a relationship between a woman in power over a man. Willis and Shepherd were constantly bickering, but there was always the hint of sexual attraction there.

It will be interesting to see how Monkey and Trip's relationship mirrors that of Maddie Hayes and David Addison. Or if they can rattle off Dr. Suess-like dialogue:

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/interview-ninja-theory-s-tameem-antoniades-on-enslaved-184933.phtml]

Dec 14, 2009
Lots of things have been inspired by Journey to the West. Dragonball is probably the mosy popular iteration. I like it, it's a timeless story that can be based anywhere.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
I heard about this game, and what I'm seeing so far seems pretty awesome, especially with Andy Serkis on development.

Oh, hang on, did someone say Ninja Theory?

Shit.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Strange combination right there - Although like what I have seen so far, so not going to knock it!

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Odd, first thing that came to mind when I read the title was the black metal band Enslaved.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
InterAirplay said:
I heard about this game, and what I'm seeing so far seems pretty awesome, especially with Andy Serkis on development.

Oh, hang on, did someone say Ninja Theory?

Shit.
Err...whats wrong with Ninja Theory if you don't mind me asking?

If they can actually pull of the Dr.Seuss-age like they did in Moonlighting, hell yes, I want this game. haha

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Well, Trip and Monkey better not resolve that sexual tension at some point in the game, because apparently Moonlighting went downhill seriously after Dave and Maddie did the deed.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
So I'm actually quite excited about this game, and thanks to the OP I'm now looking for Moonlighting to watch.

How does this all relate to the old Japanese TV show/myth about the Monkey god and Tripitaka the priest? Will Pigsy be making an appearance?

^^ What Root said above is relevant.

PayNSprayBandit

Dec 27, 2008
Okay, I am now interested. This game looked rather standard, but if the writing draws on Moonlighting, (one of the funniest shows ever) I'm in.

They said Castle was going to draw on Moonlighting, you can tell, and it's awesome. It'll be nice to see a game populated with characters who are fun. Sure, we've had a few strong characters or sympathetic characters; characters who are good for dramatic purposes. But, outside of Ratchet and Clank, characters who I find fun still seem rather rare.

Feb 13, 2008
Actual said:
So I'm actually quite excited about this game, and thanks to the OP I'm now looking for Moonlighting to watch.

How does this all relate to the old Japanese TV show/myth about the Monkey god and Tripitaka the priest? Will Pigsy be making an appearance?

Journey to the West - which inspired the game, is also the basis of Monkey (Magic) that us Brits over a certain age know and love.

But I think there's a chance that Pigsy/Sandsy and even perhaps Horse, may appear.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Actual said:

Journey to the West - which inspired the game, is also the basis of Monkey (Magic) that us Brits over a certain age know and love.

But I think there's a chance that Pigsy/Sandsy and even perhaps Horse, may appear.
Actually, in that same interview, he says that Pigsy will be a playable character in the DLC.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
HOLY CRAP OUT OF THIS WORLD WAS AWESOME!

Easily one of my favorite games of the era. Flashback always drew me in too.

Yeah, glad I preordered this way back. I love real adventure games.

Feb 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Actual said:

Actually, in that same interview, he says that Pigsy will be a playable character in the DLC.
Sound! :)

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
I can't help but be annoyed by them constantly throwing up the "inspired by Saiyuki" thing. Like a certain game that outright tells you it has a deep and compelling narrative in it's trailer *cough*LordsofShadow*cough* it just seems like they're showing off. I think it would be better if you were going along, and suddenly you think, Hey, this Monkey character is a lot like--Holy crap! This is based on JttW! It's the joy of discovery, and making connections, and I feel they're removing that opportunity by plastering the fact everywhere they go.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I love it when developers mention my favourite game :3 (see avatar)

Moonlighting is an awesome show too.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I've never even heard of Moonlighting before, but that video was pretty awesome. I played the demo of Enslaved, and it looks pretty good I must admit, but the framerate was atrocious. It could just have been a sub-par quality demo though, so I might look at it a bit more closely when it comes out. I've already gotten Civ V last week and a preorder for New Vegas, so I'm loathe to have to spend more money.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
I'm Chinese so I grew up with the Monkey King and Journey to the West. He is one of my favorite childhood characters.

I've watched plenty of the Enslaved footage, and only after the new Odyssey to the West{/i] subtitle, did I realize the similarities with the main character named Monkey and the fact that he is being controlled by his companion's whim.