Professor Layton Makes a Festive 3DS Debut in Mask of Miracle

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Professor Layton Makes a Festive 3DS Debut in Mask of Miracle

The top-hat-wearing Professor is set to make a festive debut on Nintendo's next handheld, and rumors of a makeover seem to have been greatly exaggerated.

Earlier this week, we learned that Level-5 had been pondering a makeover for its puzzle-solving Professor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103809-Professor-Layton-Getting-Makeover-for-3DS-Debut] to make the sleuth more accessible to Western audiences.

Last night, Level-5 released the first trailer for Professor Layton's 3DS debut - Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle - and we got to see just how much of the character the developers had changed. Which, as it turns out, seems to be not a single darn thing.

If Professor Layton looks any different in this trailer than he has in games past, I can't spot it. He has the coat, the top hat, and the dotted eyes, and he's still solving puzzles with his trusted companion Luke. The puzzles themselves do seem designed to take advantage of the 3DS' added depth, but this otherwise looks just like a standard Professor Layton title to me.

You know what? I'm okay with that.

(Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/29/professor-layton-and-the-mask-of-miracle-3ds-trailer-marches-int/])

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Hmm... I can't tell the difference either. But then again the trailer didn't give you a very good look at him to begin with. Either way, I'm buying a 3DS day one and this game is at the top of my list.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Luke looks a little different. Maybe it's just me.

Also looks like the production value has improved, Layton and Luke actually move outside of cut scenes. But then again I never got the latest one so I have no idea if this is anything new.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Luke looks a little different. Maybe it's just me.

Also looks like the production value has improved, Layton and Luke actually move outside of cut scenes. But then again I never got the latest one so I have no idea if this is anything new.
Luke looks different because this is a prequel showing how the Professor and Luke met in the first place. He's a lot younger. And they are moving more than they have before.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
You need to look harder. The trailer is actually a puzzle put out by Level-5, and the first person who can successfully find the one aspect of Professor Layton that has changed will receive 40/40 Picarats. I'd give you a hint, but you don't have any of those shiny coins. You should try poking about more.

Seriously: The animated sprites are a little off putting, but hey, it's more Layton. More Layton is always a good thing. Hey, this reminds me of a puzzle!

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
Definitely means there will be a 3DS in my home shortly after release, lol. Looks great.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
If the 3DS turns out as expensive as I think will be at this side of the continent, then I'll guess the PS3 will wait a bit longer than expected.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Actually, there is one difference. As far as I know, the Professor did not move his arms in previous games. In this one, he does.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems pretty standard Layton affair - And thats cool. At least we now what we are getting

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Hooray! His design didn't change! If more animation is all they meant by design change, then I love you, Level-5!

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
*EXHALE* Oh thank God! I was kinda worried they were gonna change him to something that we really wouldn't like. They probably got halfway through changing his look and said "What the hell are we doing?"

psychic psycho

Dec 17, 2009
Populus89 said:
The makeover refers to the character being a 3D model, rather than being hand drawn.
That was the first thing I noticed when I saw the ingame footage. But everyone thought it was animated sprites, so I started doubting myself. It's nice to see someone confirm my suspicions.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Like sherlock homes, but impossibly sexy!
and he hangs around with a kid of questionable age and relationship... at least watson was about 35... or so they tell us...

RogueDarkJedi

Dec 28, 2008
Should Professor Layton change? In my opinion, no, he should not. Adding additional movements is fine, but what makes the series so great are the characters and the story (not to mention the outstanding visuals).

Level-5 should not do what Capcom did with Phoenix Wright (kill off the character). Keeping Professor Layton the way he is, is the best move the studio can make.

sockgirl

Dec 22, 2010
Er stupid question, but here it goes anyway.

Is there any chance that Nintendo are not going to be money-grabbing evil tools and are going to release this game for the ds/dsi too?

I've just bought a new dsi (my old one broke) and the chance that they won't release one of my favourite game series on it so I will have to buy another far more expensive one is actually little more than a kick in the face. Especially since apparently there won't be much difference in the animation and content once the 3d aspect is taken away!