Pachter "Betting" 3DS Delayed Past March Overseas

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Pachter "Betting" 3DS Delayed Past March Overseas

Michael Pachter says there's "no prayer" that the 3DS will make it overseas shortly after its Japanese release.

Videogame industry analyst Michael Pachter has made an initial response to the news that Nintendo will be releasing the 3DS in Japan on February 26, 2011 for ¥25,000 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103851-Nintendo-3DS-Coming-in-2011-With-300-Price-Tag]. While it's expected in March for North America and Europe, Pachter says it wouldn't be surprising if the handheld were delayed into April for overseas markets.

Speaking to Joystiq, Pachter said: "Looking at how Nintendo does things, if you're launching February 26 in Japan - and their earnings reports say before the end of the fiscal year in U.S. and Europe - is there any prayer, even a 1 percent chance that they'll launch a week later in the U.S., March 5? No freaking way. It's not even remotely possible they're launching first half of March. I'm betting it gets delayed until April in Europe and U.S."

It just keeps getting worse for those that hoped the 3DS would magically come overseas in 2010. However, Pachter at least offers a reprieve in the area of pricing, as he doesn't expect the 3DS to cost $300 (an approximate conversion of ¥25,000 to dollars). He's betting on the still somewhat high price of $250, and says it'll be that high because Nintendo is kicking itself for not making more money off the Wii.

"They screwed up on the Wii. It was sold out for two full years," Pachter continued. "They should have sold it for $300 at launch, and made another $50 for every Wii sold during that period. It sold so competitively in the first few weeks that it was going for $1,000 on eBay -- and they absolutely don't want to see the 3DS on eBay."

"I think Nintendo will charge $250 and people will pay it," he added. Pachter also predicts a possible increase in software prices, noting that Nintendo's first-party games are priced $5 to $10 higher than the DS standard of $29.99. He believes that standard may be brought to $34.99 for 3DS titles, which isn't a far cry, but it is one less dollar-menu meal at a fast food joint.

Let's face it: the 3DS would sell like hotcakes at a comfortable $199, and products that are likely to be in high demand are hardly ever priced where the consumer is comfortable. I'm no industry analyst wearing a fancy pin-striped suit that looks over lengthy reports that contain lots of numbers all day long or anything, but I don't think it takes a Michael Pachter to see Nintendo is going to go for maximum profits on this one. Iwata himself has even already admitted it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103890-Nintendos-Iwata-Blames-You-for-the-Price-of-the-3DS].

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/30/pachter-3ds-will-cost-250-in-the-u-s-likely-wont-come-state/]

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Forcing a limited shortage would enable Nintendo to sell it at a higher initial price...

Though I honestly think it's going to be hard to acquire a 3DS for the first year regardless; it looks like it prove to be a strong seller.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, if Nintendo has there way will be totaly oppositte to this...

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Pachter again?. Yawn.

Even he recognizes that he's betting now. What's next?. He says "I just pulled prediction X out of my ass" and every gaming website still publishes what he says?.

I don't know what's more ridiculous, Pachter and his "predictions", the gaming press or me for commenting. I guess there's blame for everyone of us.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
"Don't break my heart." -- various characters in drama fiction and slow pop songs

Feb 4, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
Why is everything this guy says in the news?
Because he's good at what he does. I'm not talking about his job as an analyst, I'm talking about his ability to self-promote.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Why is everything this guy says in the news?
He gives a look into what industry analysts are thinking, which is interesting. Analysts are supposed experts, but not tied to a specific videogame company, so they can look through the BS of official press announcements and whatnot. Being right or wrong isn't necessarily the point.

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Being right or wrong isn't necessarily the point.
Actually it is the point. Why should I listen to someone who constantly makes wrong predictions or states the obvious? Listening to him is like listening to a fortune teller, they both force feed you with insubstantial bullshit.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
The stupid thing is that Pachter's making it sound like this is some big revelation he's onto, that the DS may be delayed a month. Who effing cares? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a month delay holds absolutely no implications for any parties involved.

Now a four to six month delay, well that's worth talking about. Doesn't Pachter have some subprime mortgage loans to overvalue instead of bothering us with every third idea that pops into his head?

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
tendo82 said:
The stupid thing is that Pachter's making it sound like this is some big revelation he's onto, that the DS may be delayed a month. Who effing cares? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a month delay holds absolutely no implications for any parties involved.

Now a four to six month delay, well that's worth talking about. Doesn't Pachter have some subprime mortgage loans to overvalue instead of bothering us with every third idea that pops into his head?
^I absolutely agree.

I don't think this is HUGE news, it is actually something I could predict. It shouldn't be surprising based on the Wii sales that they'd want a delay JUST to make more units. Also a longer delay between Japan and US/Euro sales could only generate MORE interest with Westerners, asssuming the 3DS is as wonderful as they say.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
VanityGirl said:
It shouldn't be surprising based on the Wii sales that they'd want a delay JUST to make more units. Also a longer delay between Japan and US/Euro sales could only generate MORE interest with Westerners, asssuming the 3DS is as wonderful as they say.
Abso-freakin-lutely. Generate a buzz, show other people having fun and enjoying it and it makes everyone else want to have it too. Just like Cartman Land. They should tease the hell out of the American press about release dates, build up a fervor, and then eventually drop it in a couple of weeks or months late. I am sure it won't make a difference negatively in sales like VanityGirl said. Simply by Pachter making this prediction, he's probably got people worried they won't get a 3DS when they come out.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Is he seriously saying the Wii didn't make enough money? The Wii sold well in part because of its low and accessible price.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Why do we care what this tool says enough to link his twitter feed to the front page?

"Product will be delayed" is hardly a stretch of a prediction. Release dates are set by marketing department and PHBs. They are completely made up usually based on casual conversations with engineers...the guys who do the actual work.

If he predicted "product will be on time and bug free" that would be newsworthy, this is just filler...and yet I'm commenting on it at 2am....

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
pachter is just trying to be cool. i have no belief in the 3DS myself, but im not gonna say its delayed.

pacther go home and work on another terrible gears of war game.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
After proposing a Live Platinum membership, I just want this guy to burn in a fire. Seriously Pachter, Shut the fuck up.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
"They screwed up on the Wii. It was sold out for two full years," Pachter continued. "They should have sold it for $300 at launch, and made another $50 for every Wii sold during that period. It sold so competitively in the first few weeks that it was going for $1,000 on eBay -- and they absolutely don't want to see the 3DS on eBay."

He's missing an obvious point here, no-one, not even Nintendo themselves, predicted the way the Wii would take off, it caught them and everyone else by surprise, so how is that screwing up exactly? If it had been a shoe-in, yeah, I could see the point in that remark, but it wasn't, it was a gamble intended to remove themselves from direct competition with Microsoft and Sony and the power race they were engaging in.

More on topic, seeing as this guy has predicted a delay and seeing as he's always wrong, I predict the 3DS will see a North America release in March.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
SomethingAmazing said:
Delayed overseas? Hah! Don't make me laugh.

It's getting delayed world wide.
It already was. Anyone can see that they were aiming for a pre-holiday release originally. The decision to delay was probably made less than a week before the conference and was made to ensure that there are enough units at launch. And didn't they say it would definitely be released world wide by the end of March, which would automatically make Pachter wrong? I might be wrong, but I seem to recall that being official.