Myst Dropping Into Movie Theater Age

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Myst Dropping Into Movie Theater Age

Filmmakers want you to know that Myst actually has a story worth exploring.

Adventure game series Myst [http://www.amazon.com/Myst-10th-Anniversary-DVD-Pc/dp/B0000AFWWH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1285949771&sr=8-1] has taken a significant step towards the big screen. Two producers of movies such as Chronicles of Narnia and Donnie Darko are teaming up with the Mysteria Film Group, owners of Myst's movie rights, to make the game into a feature film.

I know what you're thinking: How can Myst's gameplay translate into a film? Puzzle-solving aside, Myst actually has a deep storyline, which was exposed even in the very first game back in 1993, and expanded on in four successive titles, an MMO, and plenty of novels. The story just wasn't told in the exact same linear way as other adventure titles. Players of the original Myst had to piece together what was happening through environmental clues.

Myst producers Hunt Lowry and Mark Johnson are searching for a writer that can tap into what made the franchise's games and novels so popular. They call Myst an "innovative property" and are focusing on the novels to avoid being "limited only to the famous island of the first game," while they also hope to bring "engaging characters and an epic narrative" to the final product.

I may be brutally attacked for saying this, but a Myst movie easily has a chance of turning out to be pretty cool. Anyone that played Myst when it first came out knows that the discovery of various plot points, including dead family members and betrayals, was very engaging despite the game basically being a slideshow. If the movie can translate the experience of a mysterious world where not everything is as it seems to viewers, along with the incorporation of travel between books that take people to new worlds (known as "ages") it should have no problem becoming a must-see.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/computer-game-myst-gains-movie-steam/]

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
A Myst film? I have troubles seeing how that would work out... But hey, best of luck to them, if they can pull it off, I will be impressed.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I have been waiting for so long for this. I started the series with Riven, back when I was a wee bairn, and got the first and third games shortly afterwards (getting Exile just after it first came out). Sadly I was foolish enough to sell them when I got tired of adventure games, but recently got back into them and I'm going to track down the entire series again as soon as I've managed to get my laptop CD tray fixed.

My point is, having been with the series from the early days, I understand fully the difficulty the production team will face, and as a filmmaker too I understand how tough it will be to get what made the games so awesome across on screen. But then again, the Myst series, along with some of the works of Roberta Williams, are ranked in those few games that actually have a decent filmable element to them, especially when you consider the various scenes acted superbly in the series by the various actors, including Myst creators the Miller Bros. I have every confidence that if this is handled well, we could see a truly good videogame movie here (and I'm a guy who actually enjoyed the Resident Evil and Silent Hill films, for the record... though Uwe Boll can suck donkey testicles...).

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
This... is... awesome!

I know there's a stigma attached to video game movies, but Myst has such depth and lots of room for exploration of the universe, the writers basically have a free license!

My only regret will be that I won't get to work on this film.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
Myst producers Hunt Lowry and Mark Johnson are searching for a writer that can tap into what made the franchise's games and novels so popular.
How about the original writers? The Miller brothers, and David Wingrove?

I may be brutally attacked for saying this, but a Myst movie easily has a chance of turning out to be pretty cool.
You won't be attacked by ME for saying that. So long as they use some of the backstory instead of actually adapting the games themselves.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
I could see it happening for Riven if they are focusing on the story. The original title, not so much.

Still, I think it would be more successful if they explore the universe of Myst and tell their own story using familiar concepts and characters. My apprehensions are (somewhat) allayed by the fact that they'll be exploring the novels as well.

I'm eagerly anticipating this, with a pinch of skepticism thrown in.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
FUCK YES!

I love MYST. I have to see that movie when it's out.
Let's hope it isn't bad.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The only thing I knew it did for me was frustrate me when that one puzzle just, wouldnt make sense!

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
I don't really have any problem with this per se, but does anyone in the whole world (and for thee purposes I mean anyone as in, enough people to allow the movie to make money) care about a Myst movie? Anyone?

Fifteen years too late you say? Yeah, thought so.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
See, knowing what I do about the Myst universe, this actually sounds like something that could work - quite well in fact. Done well, a Myst film wouldn't even feel like a "video game movie", which is why it might end up being the first good video game movie. Civilizations that can create worlds inside of books? Hell yes.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
If they ruin my childhood with this film I swear I'll....

Well I don't know what I'll do... probably nothing but I'll be VERY DISAPPOINTED

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
Lolth17 said:
I don't really have any problem with this per se, but does anyone in the whole world (and for thee purposes I mean anyone as in, enough people to allow the movie to make money) care about a Myst movie? Anyone?

Fifteen years too late you say? Yeah, thought so.
It was the best-selling PC game until 2002, ya know. There are 6 million people who've been through the experience who might want to see how it translates to the silver screen. Plus, it's not like the concept of "books link to worlds" is alienating to people who haven't played it, or even nongamers. I could see it being successful... or at least I'm one ticket for their efforts :p

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
I've been following the production blog for almost two years now, so it's really exciting to see it gaining steam like this.

But just to set the record straight, this isn't based on the games. This is an adaption of the second novel, the Book of Ti'ana, which is a prequel to both other books and all of the games.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I hope the movie will be based on the story of Atrus and Ti'ana (the second book)... could make for an excellent film.

orangecharger

Nov 13, 2009
This has a chance of being pretty freakin' sweet. It also has the chance of being right crappy. I hate to say it, it's more likely to be crappy. When's the last time someone thought about the Myst franchise? Me it was probably sometime around 1994 though I thought it was the greatest game ever when it came out.

So in a Hollywood where they cast Jake Gillenhoweveryouspellhisname and Michael(who plays himself in every movie) Cera in everything you can possibly think of -- and where they look to capitalize on the nostalgia of 30 somethings -- it will have a huge opening weekend... but ultimately it will suck balls.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I'd rather see a film adaptation of The Book of Atrus, but this is a start. Here's hoping it turns out well.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Actually, Myst has one of the easiest ideas to adapt to a movie. It was basically done (from a children's perspective) in The Pagemaster.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It would be worth doing just so the Waynes Brothers can make a movie out of "Pyst"... 40 million people have trashed the island, now it's your turn! :p

I guess a lot of people probably won't remember that but it was the first thing that came to mind. >:)

That said, I suppose a Myst movie would work, but it would have to be done very carefully. Truthfully though there are games that I would want to see turned into movies long before Myst.