Sonic Creator Wants to Make Dreamcast 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sonic Creator Wants to Make Dreamcast 2

Could the beloved Dreamcast ever have a successor someday? If Sonic creator Yuji Naka has his way, it just might.

Despite dying an early death in the very beginning of the last console generation, the Sega Dreamcast still has many fans who look back on those halcyon days with fondness. Sega may have morphed into a mere software developer these days, but Sonic creator Yuji Naka dreams of recapturing the company's old glory.

"I do miss those old days when I was heavily involved in hardware making at Sega," Naka Ivy the Kiwi [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=267778]. "I was involved in most of the consoles and controllers that Sega came up with."

Naka says he'd like to get back to the hardware-making side of things, if only in an advisory position. "It would be ideal if I could become some sort of advisor working with the platform makers in future," he says. "I think if I can work really well with the platform makers then it's good for everyone, because I can then come up with totally new games."

If Ivy the Kiwi performs well, says Naka, who knows? Maybe a Dreamcast 2 would be in the cards someday. "Of course Dreamcast was my baby back at Sega and I want to carry on making good games for the European market, and one day I'm hoping it gives me the opportunity to work on Dreamcast 2."

I'm not so sure I see the connection between a game about a kiwi selling well and Sega getting back into hardware, but sure, why not! I mean, the Dreamcast was pretty cool, right?

(CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=267778])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
If a Dreamcast 2 happens, we'll need another Power Stone.

Best fighting games ever. None of that sissy "blocking".

Mikester1290

Jun 29, 2010
Don't think I'd buy one, but thats cos I'm a PC guy.

But I'd LOVE to see a third contender in the console market. I loved the old consoles.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SEGA always carried the bad karma of "releasing consoles too soon." An extra year of development would made the Saturn and Dreamcast better consoles than they already were, and that's a pity. I support a DreamCast 2.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
How come when I read this I thought it was a sad and pathetic attempt for them to try to get back to their glory days with sonic?

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Mikester1290 said:
But I'd LOVE to see a third contender in the console market. I loved the old consoles.
Third?

The Dreamcast 1 sold only around 8 million units. That's nothing.

Please Sega...don't do it. Don't ruin yourself again. You're slowly making a name for yourself with improved titles across all major plattforms, the future as a software publisher/developer looks pretty good for you.

I don't think another Dreamcast would be bad quality wise (just like I think that the last Dreamcast was excellent in quality) but I just don't think it can compete.

Dec 14, 2009
Step 1: Release Dreamcast 2 bundled with Shenmue 3.
Step 2: There is no step 2
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit!

Mikester1290

Jun 29, 2010
Brotherofwill said:
Mikester1290 said:
Third?

The Dreamcast 1 sold only around 8 million units. That's nothing.

Please Sega...don't do it. Don't ruin yourself again. You're slowly making a name for yourself with improved titles across all major plattforms, the future as a software publisher/developer looks pretty good for you.

I don't think another Dreamcast would be bad quality wise (just like I think that the last Dreamcast was excellent in quality) but I just don't think it can compete.
OOPS! I auto-deleted the wii from my brain, no offence to the wii guys.

I can't imagine a new Dreamcast would get the sales like you say, but I'd LIKE to see it happen.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I'd support this console, easily, The Dreamcast was a good console, i was sad to see it go.

Hell, i think it would gave Microsoft and Sony a wake up call.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I can see the headlines now...

Dreamcast 2 released!
*a few months later*
Sony and Microsoft join forces to make ultimate video game console! Dreamcast gets blown out of the water! AGAIN!!

And then everyone laughs. Ha-ha-ha-ha :D

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I loved the original dramcast, and wouldnt be agaisnt a number 2 - Its sad what happened ><

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Sega sucked at making consoles. They need to accept it and move on; it's just not their thing.

Anyone Remember what a great success the 32x was? Or remember what a great success the Sega CD was? Or remember how well the Sega Saturn sold?

Remember all those great games on the Genesis that weren't Sonic? Me neither.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Ah lor', if only.. though I wonder if a mark 2'd be special like the original.

I mean of all the consoles, the Dreamcast Was kind of unique - it handled colours differently, and just about matched the PS2's hardware capability through its software architecture - by my understanding it outperformed the Xbox, too, efficiency wise; the Xbox was just a hardware monster.

But a new one? I dunno.. are there similar ways a console could go a different path and end up with noticeably different game presentation now?

K V MAN

Sep 20, 2010
arc1991 said:
I'd support this console, easily, The Dreamcast was a good console, i was sad to see it go.

Hell, i think it would gave Microsoft and Sony a wake up call.
i loved the dreamcast too, my first Soul caliber experience........ ahhh the memories

but still "gave Microsoft and Sony a wake up call" there already on cocaine and red bull as it is

sticking dreamcast 2 in the middle of that is calling for total annihilation

o and Wii is good too

Psychemaster

Everything in Moderation
Aug 18, 2008
The only fault Sega consoles ever really had was that they were never marketed properly.

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
This!

and also give us another sonic adventures.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
I bet anything it would sell well, as long as they had a good lineup of games immediately.
Daystar Clarion said:
= Me insta-buying

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Got to admit, by this point Sega have so many cult successes, they could probably release a Dreamcast on the strength of cult sequels and tapping all of those separate fanbases alone >.>; Shenmue 3, a better NiGHTS sequel, another Panzer Dragoon (and Saga?)..

.. Nah, wishful thinking I guess.