Bungie Turns 15,000 Halo: Reach Cheaters Into Noobs

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Bungie Turns 15,000 Halo: Reach Cheaters Into Noobs

Cheaters will never prosper in Halo: Reach with Bungie threatening to continually reset their progress.

Completing challenges in Halo: Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M] can net players credits used to purchase rewards, and some of those rewards require quite a bit of credits. Thousands of players have found a way to illegitimately acquire masses of this online currency, but to no avail as Bungie recently announced it'll be resetting the progress of every cheater it can find back to square one.

"We are in the process of applying credit resets to approximately 15,000 users who we have identified as the most egregious Challenge Reset abusers," Bungie revealed in a forum post [http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=49997802]. In addition, these 15,000 players have earned a one-day credit earning ban.

As usual when these sorts of things happen, Bungie says it has selected players for resets "carefully" so that it "avoids false positives." This situation specifically has to deal with "an exploit that allowed players to complete a Challenge 20+ times via intentional network manipulation (i.e. disconnects)."

Players will apparently be losing all of their items along with the reset, as Bungie explained that the cheaters may need to re-download their pre-order or limited/legendary edition armor bonuses. This isn't close to the end of Bungie's cheater attacks either, with Bungie saying that "a more comprehensive pass" is coming next week and that it's tuning the Reach banhammer.

Bungie "strongly advises" cheaters to reconsider their ways. Haven't players of online games on Xbox Live learned by now that abusing exploits and glitches will only lead them into the depths of despair?

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
That forum thread is downright amazing. If you've got a spare half an hour, flick through some of the replies.
<quote=Cheaty McCheatington> BUNGIE STANDS FOR BUTT-HOLES UNITED,GAAYY INTERCOURSE EXTREME
^Probably my favourite post from that thread so far. The imagination some of these crying kids have is amazing.

On topic, good on Bungie. It makes it all the more worthwhile for us legit players, and gives us a good laugh at those who tried to cheat crying about how they're going to sell Halo for Black Ops when it comes out.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Haven't players of online games on Xbox Live learned by now that abusing exploits and glitches will only lead them into the depths of despair?
Judging by the lack of enforcement of any kind in MW2 I think it's safe to say that people expected more of the same from Bungie, but are now seeing they were wrong to think so.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
God, the whines and threats of the f'ng cheaters resounded on the Bungie forums. Reading them just made my day.

Listen you little twats: just because they didn't EXPLICITLY state that doing a DAILY challenge multiple times a day was cheating....use some fucking common sense.

It'd be awesome if Bungie took a page out of Valve's book and issued a free download of an actual 'Halo'-helmet to those people that didn't exploit.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
VIVA LA REVALUCION! Fight those endless waves of kids! Be victorious!

Made my day even better (finished Starcraft 2 -SQUEAL-).

imgunagitusucka

Apr 20, 2010
I don't see why people get so upset about this credit farming. I don't care if they want to spend countless hours of their life trying to earn armour effects, as long as they don't manipulate the MP gameplay in their favour then how is it effecting me? All I care about is a level playing field when going head to head onine, they can have all the fancy gear they like, they still go down with a grenade/headshot combo.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Excuse me while I go read cheaters whine on B.net

Hah, these people are funny. "OMG WE ARE NOT CHEATERS, WE'RE IMPROVISERS!" and "BUNGIE DIDN'T TELL US THIS WAS CHEATING, WAAAH."

Silly noobs.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
HAAAA!

I laugh in the face of the thousands of gamers who spent hours boosting points just to find themselves pointless and alone. In a corner. A dark corner. With wolves.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Dear Bungie:
I LOVE YOU!
People are going to be bitching about this for months to come.
Serves them right though. If you cheat the game, we beat you up.

I didn't know which BanHammer picture to choose, so here's three:

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Haven't players of online games on Xbox Live learned by now that abusing exploits and glitches will only lead them into the depths of despair?
Of COURSE they haven't. A complete inability to learn or progress beyond their mindlessly narrow, self-entitled worldview practically DEFINES the Xbox Live crowd.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Ha, You don't cheat on Bungie's watch. There were Bungie employees THEMSELVES on the forum that night finding a few threads claiming they were "BANNED 4 NO RAISON!?" with exactly how many times they used the challenge exploit glitch and when.

As the Superintendent would say...

KEEP IT CLEAN

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I love reading that comment thread, so many people obviously lying about how they didn't cheat. Yes you did, shut the fuck up.

I will salute the one guy who owned up and said something to the effect of "Yeah, I did it, you're right to take my credits and I'm going to play fair from now on. Thanks for not making it a permanent ban from the game." among the pages of whining in there.