Final Fantasy XIII Producer Wants a Sequel

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

Square Enix producer Yoshinori Kitase just wants his characters to have happy endings, even if it means making a whole new game.

Despite the vast number of Final Fantasy games, there are relatively few that you could consider to be true "sequels." In fact, there's really only ever been one, and that was 2003's Final Fantasy X-2 [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-X-2-Playstation-2/dp/B00008URUA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286184452&sr=1-1]. Kitase has said that he'd be keen to make double that number by making Final Fantasy XIII-2, but in order for it to happen, the fans would have to have to want it.

In an interview in Final Fantasy XIII Ultimania Omega, a companion book for the game, Kitase said that he wanted to expand the Final Fantasy XIII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286183900&sr=1-1] universe beyond what would be seen in Final Fantasy Versus XIII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK9QBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1286184490&sr=1-1] and Agito XIII, and added that he'd like to tell a story where Lightning - one of Final Fantasy XIII's main characters - ends up happy in the end. Kitase said that his team had already begun work on its next game, which given his comments about the fan reaction needed to get it made, probably isn't Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Kitase also explained what happened to the FFXIII DLC. He revealed that there were originally plans to have an area called the Seventh Ark, where players could engage in quest-like battles, but quality concerns, and the vastly different requirements needed to get content approved on Xbox Live and PSN, meant that it was never released. The decision was made that it would be better to move on to the next project, although FFXIII director Motomu Toriyama said that the new game will incorporate some of the ideas that didn't get used as DLC.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/04/ffxiii_ultima_interview/]

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
This is one Final Fantasy that I rather not see DLC or sequels to. I felt like the game only had a few decent moments after the 2nd final battle. Everything else? Not so much if you're familiar with JRPGs outside of Final Fantasy. Actually, I have a lot of negative comments on this game's story. Not so much the awesome battle system. (Though it flaws itself when common battles can take up to 10 minutes to win.)

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
No. Just no. If you want a good report of Final Fantasy XIII's gameplay and combat system, you probably shouldn't ask me. But I liked the story. However, nothing can be improved by making it end "happily". The story ended where it should. Leave it be.

Axeli

Jun 16, 2004
I am tempted to say "Hell no", but I think it would be for my own good to get more alienated from the series. I say go ahead. They can't make me disrespect the series more than XIII already did.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
added that he'd like to tell a story where Lightning - one of Final Fantasy XIII's main characters - ends up happy in the end.
...she seemed pretty happy at the end of FFXIII to me. Did I miss something?

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Lets hope they don't sell it out like they did with VII. Squeenix keep changing their minds about what they're going to release, so I'll believe it when I see it.

[sub]Que the people bitching about the game in 3, 2, 1...[/sub]

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
I couldnt ever manage to finish final fantasy 13 =\. the Story was fine, combat system was sexy as hell, but the problem that just destroyed the game for me was a few things, the difficulty for one (call me a pussy, it was just too friggin hard), I hated the way it constantly capped your stat growth (up until disc 3), and the fact that there was no world map or towns, not really for any particular reason, its just that always going from the end of one mission straight to the next one made me feel kind of assaulted, like I never got to take a rest.
And the very last problem I faced with it, was the weapons and currency system. I just found it insanely hard to get a good amount of money, and the way you had to buy special materials to upgrade weapons with and just upgrade them constantly always screwed me over and made me uncomfortable.

It was just one too many small issues I had kind of piling up on me. Anyways..sorry for venting, Ive just never gotten the chance to explain why my xbox has FF13 achievements on it but no game completion, cus my friends keep asking me XD.

As for a sequel, well, X-2 had very little in common with final fantasy 10 in terms of combat mechanics, so it was bassicly a whole new game with the same characters and universe. So if FF13-2 whatever the hell it would be called had totally different mechanics, then I would probly have a pretty good time with it :p.

spacewalker

Sep 13, 2010
I remember a story of how they cut a lot of the content thay had made for the game, he probably held on to it in order to use it for something later.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
They need the fans to want it? Well, good luck with that.

Try making a non-shit game first, then we can talk about sequels. Even if the game was half-decent (like, let's say X) the sequel wasn't exactly up to par anyway. It's not like they already have 2 other games in the XIII universe that still need to prove their worth.

Just keep making new FF games, I thought that's why they always play in a different universe.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
He wants a sequel? Maybe he should want a new job as well, because if he's responsible for XIII's game design, layout and structure, he should be fired.

A corridor-based fighting game with RPG elements and a battle system where you can't change the character you're controlling while in the battle, where if they die and the other two party members are at 100% health and both have Raise magic, yet you STILL have Game Over?

I doubt his competence as a producer.

u4527646

Jul 20, 2010
I'm one of the people who really actually enjoyed everything about that game, so I would definately describe myself as a fan... But I REALLY don't see the need for a sequel. I mean, the story seemed quite finished at the end, I can't really see the point in going further, I don't even know what you would include (both story-wise and gameplay-wise) in a sequel.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Amnestic said:
added that he'd like to tell a story where Lightning - one of Final Fantasy XIII's main characters - ends up happy in the end.
...she seemed pretty happy at the end of FFXIII to me. Did I miss something?
I'm glad I wasn't the only person who thought this.

While I really enjoyed FFXIII and loved the story and characters (yes, even Vanille) its hard to imagine how they'd do a sequal unless they just abandon all the characaters from XIII and keep the world/lore.

Edit:
u4527646 said:
I don't even know what you would include (both story-wise and gameplay-wise) in a sequel.
Storywise I'm stumped, but considering the biggest complaint most people have about the combat is not being able to switch, they'll either do a completely new system (like X to X-2) or tweak the system so you can switch mid-combat.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I enjoyed this game. I'm pretty sure most of the haters have no valid reason for not liking it. So what it isn't like the rest? That doesn't make it a bad game. Just pretend it's named something else. Better now?

Alchemist08

May 25, 2010
Really? Why not, if as the director, you want your characters to have a happy ending, give them one, in the original game? Is this too difficult of a concept for the poor man?

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
...If it's a sequel that is just a ten hour experience where Sazh repeatedly kicks Hope in the balls, then i might be willing to rent it. GOD i hated Hope.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
This is where I would usually unleash a torrent of hate in the general direction of FFXIII.

But in this case, it just doesn't seem necessary. Plenty of other people are going to do it for me.

TheRobotandtheBeast

Aug 9, 2010
Wait, didn't they lose their fancy l'cie powers at the end of xiii. Good luck fixin that little plot device.

But if he insists, he can always go the route of Reverent Wings. No need for a 7 year dev cycle then.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010

Mythgraven wants a million dollars.

Whiskey Echo!!
mythgraven

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
I know my favorite character won't return so I won't bother (unless they cheated the mythology and bring her back)