Know PHP? We're Hiring!

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Know PHP? We're Hiring!

Yes, we're hiring again. We're looking for another web developer to join the Nerf Thunderdome championship title and masters of ASCII-based voodoo.

Sorry internationalers, this is a full-time job at our office in Durham, NC. But if you have a friend or e-buddy that might be interested, please let them know. People familiar with our sites and what we do always get bonus points.

If you're more into words than code, we're also currently looking for a non-games editor.

The full text of our job posting below:

Themis Media, the company behind two-time Webby award-winning site The WarCry Network is seeking an experienced web developer with a passion for games and gaming to join our team. We're looking for someone that is knowledgeable and flexible enough to jump in and make things happen. Come work in a small, young company with a casual atmosphere (pants required) where you will always have something interesting to work on, and interesting people to work with.

Job Responsibilities
As a web developer at Themis, you'll be jumping right into web development work in a LAMP environment on a variety of projects, including:

Developing and implementing custom client websites.
Maintaining and updating existing web properties.
Designing and implementing new features in our custom CMS.
Building and deploying community features on existing media properties.

Qualifications
Qualified candidates must have:

A minimum of 1-5 years experience.
Hands-on knowledge of HTML/XHTML, JavaScript/AJAX, and CSS.
Working knowledge of PHP and MySQL.
Good communications skills, and the ability to both work with a small team and handle solo projects.
Good organizational skills, and the ability to meet deadlines.
The ability to work hard in a high intensity environment.

In addition, ideal candidates will have one, many, or all of the following:

Solid design skills and a grasp of current web UI trends.
Familiarity with the Prototype and Script.aculo.us libraries.
Experience and knowledge of current PC and console games.
Experience with online games and online communities.
Experience with current social networking platforms and APIs.
Basic familiarity with image editing programs. (Photoshop, Paintshop, Corel, GIMP)
Ability to debate differences between Kirk and Picard without resorting to violence.

Multi-talented individuals are highly valued here - if you have additional talents outside the programming arena (writing, soldering, origami, kung-fu, ...) please mention them!

Compensation & Benefits
This position is for a full-time salaried employee at our office in Durham, NC - just outside RTP. Compensation ranges between $39,000-$59,000 depending on knowledge and experience, with a benefits package and perks including flexible hours and a casual atmosphere.

How To Apply
Interested applicants should send a resume, including examples of previous work, to [email protected] referencing Web Developer in the subject.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Shame i dont have a few years experience, ive got all the rest. ah well, maybe another time

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow - Expanding a bit arent ya? Well good luck to applicants! Looks like a god deal to me!

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Damn... still in web development classes, actually sitting in it right now... so much for that. :/

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
... Is something going on astronomically? Planets coming into alignment or something?

The timing of this just strikes me as odd, considering what I've been doing to pay my bills for the past year.

Anyway. Good luck to all applicants.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
Shame i dont have a few years experience, ive got all the rest. ah well, maybe another time
Apply anyway, you would be surprised what a good cover letter and interview can make up for.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Oh god >.<

I can actually DO web development. How come you guys have to be in North Carolina? That's in the complete opposite direction I'm trying to move!!!

BioTox

Nov 19, 2009
You all need a Dallas/Ft. Worth office. =P I would of totally applied. LoL What you listed is pretty much what I've been doing for the past 2 years. Game related would of been awesome.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well I don't know PHP, but I can bake a mean Chocolate Éclair. Is there a place for me in your company?

More organizations need pastry Chefs. Recent studies have shown that companies who hire on site pastry chefs are 500% more profitable

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Damn you ocean and age! If I was older, had a little experience, and wasn't stuck over here I'd jump on that. Hopefully you'll still be hiring in 10 years!

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Dammit. Now I wish I (a) knew PHP (stupid JavaScript only being a part of the web trinity...) and (b) had the ability to move to a new location (stupid school).

Good luck to the applicants.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
The Cheezy One said:
Elementlmage said:
Apply anyway, you would be surprised what a good cover letter and interview can make up for.
Good examples of past or current work are best. Whether or not it was paid work is irrelevant - the one nice thing about web development is that anyone can get web space for dirt cheap (or free) and do stuff with it, or even just contribute to an open source project. We value people that do things, that's why our positions don't usually ask for a degree.

ShadowKatt said:
How come you guys have to be in North Carolina? That's in the complete opposite direction I'm trying to move!!!
Low cost to live here, a good local economy, and generally nice weather. We're pretty happy here, actually. Strangely enough, because of all the tech companies and colleges importing people to the area, it's not actually that "Southern".

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Virgil said:
The Cheezy One said:
Elementlmage said:
Good examples of past or current work are best. Whether or not it was paid work is irrelevant - the one nice thing about web development is that anyone can get web space for dirt cheap (or free) and do stuff with it, or even just contribute to an open source project. We value people that do things, that's why our positions don't usually ask for a degree.
well in that case (this isnt me actually applying, just throwing ideas around, but)...
http://www.nozzleplots.co.uk
a website i've been working on using HTML script and an FTP program, no web design programs. its pretty crappy, unfinished, and i dont have anything to put in it, but its mine :)
http://www.bubblefoundation.org.uk
a charity website ive been co-editting for a while now. unfortunately i can only do something when they tell me too, so it hasnt had anything changed recently
im in the UK, but id move if i got the job

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
The Cheezy One said:
Virgil said:
The Cheezy One said:
Elementlmage said:
well in that case
http://www.nozzleplots.co.uk
a website i've been working on using HTML script and an FTP program, no web design programs. its pretty crappy, unfinished, and i dont have anything to put in it, but its mine :)
http://www.bubblefoundation.org.uk
a charity website ive been co-editting for a while now. unfortunately i can only do something when they tell me too, so it hasnt had anything changed recently
You should put that in your Resume and send it along. ;)