Daily Star Pays for Libel on Fake Grand Theft Auto Story

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Daily Star Pays for Libel on Fake Grand Theft Auto Story

British tabloid the Daily Star agreed to pay Rockstar Games a "substantial" amount of money for printing fake Grand Theft Auto: Rothbury story.

Back in July, the Star posted a story on its website [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102247-Daily-Star-Gets-Nailed-for-Made-Up-GTA-Story] claiming that a Grand Theft Auto was already in the works based on the crimes of Raoul Moat, a gunman who shot his ex-girlfriend, her lover, and then himself after a standoff with police near the town of Rothbury, U.K. It ran with an image purported to be the cover art for the game. The story was pulled from the website after the Daily Star realized that no such game was being made. In response, Rockstar Games parent-company Take 2 Interactive sued Daily Star-owner Express Newspapers for printing lies and damaging the videogame company's reputation. In court in London today, the Daily Star's lawyer agreed before a judge that the story was "untrue" and apologized for the harm it caused. Daily Star agreed that it did not attempt to contact Rockstar Games before the story ran and that it will pay a "substantial" sum of money for the damages it caused.

Melanie Hart, representing Rockstar, presented the evidence before Mr Justice Tugendhat. The story's leader referred to Rockstar Games as "questionable idiots" and solicited quotes from family members of the victims of Moat's crimes. "I can't believe someone wants to make money out of people who have been killed," the grandmother of Moat's ex-girlfriend said. "It is sick - it's blood money. The game is beyond belief."

Hart summed up the agreement: "In those circumstances, the defendant is here to apologize to Rockstar Games for the damage and distress caused by their publication of false allegation. The defendant has also agreed to pay substantial damages to Rockstar Games and has also agreed to pay their legal costs."

The Daily Star's lawyer, Clare Kissin, agreed by saying, "Express Newspapers Ltd accepts that the allegations made against Rockstar Games are untrue. The defendant apologizes for the upset and damage caused."

Unfortunately, it is unknown whether the writer of the offending story, an update to his Facebook page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102270-Journalist-Who-Wrote-Fake-GTA-Story-Ridicules-Gamers] after the controversy berating "adult gamers" "who sit around all day playing computer games." Lawton said, "You would think I'd denied the Holocaust!!!"

No, but you did cost your company millions of dollars in damages for a sensationalist story with no basis in fact. I think that ranks pretty high on the screwup scale.

Source: Daily Star [http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=46083&c=1]

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
You know, there's something seriously wrong with our media establishment when the print equivalent of 4chan are the only ones willing to own up to the shit they sling against new media.

Goddamnit.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I expect Private Eye will rip into them about this.

I mean what did he HONESTLY expect was going to happen when he deliberately tried to piss a tonne of people off?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Ha, ha, ha!

"Multimillion dollar corporation uses 'sue for libel', it's super-effective."

Arcanist said:
You know, there's something seriously wrong with our media establishment when the print equivalent of 4chan are the only ones willing to own up to the shit they sling against new media.

Goddamnit.

You're right.

Where's that damn "cancer face" from Awesome Centre Redux?

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Thank god. Might teach them to research their stories and not just make shit up.

Also, Moat only actually killed one person, his ex-girlfreinds lover. He deliberately only injured her, using specially prepared cartridges that would leave terrible scarring.

He also shot at a policeman sat in a patrol car. He was badly injured, but survived.

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
Well it took awhile, but this a great conclusion to a frustrating story.

Now if only there was a better conclusion to other various anti-gaming storys. I'm looking at you Frumpy Mom.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
It seems that in order for Newspapers in Britain to be cared about, they must either have cheap Tits or make up crap from an inexperienced journalist. I might as well had said that I had babies with the English Big Cat, posted the birth on Youtube but it was removed for Copyright!

Then again, I'd be called crazy and not an idiot.

Calumon: You're not Crazy?

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I don't know why anyone would actually believe anything written by the Daily Star... Hell I'd double check the page numbers knowing those useless berks.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Of course he's still bloody employed. This is the Daily Star! He'll probably get a promotion for this; that's what they call "good journalism" at that bloody paper.

Feb 13, 2008

Anything that hurts the Star/Mail has my backing.

BTW: He's still employed by the Star as their Chief Crime Correspondent. Nuff said.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Am i the only one noticing the weird name: "Mr Justice Tugendhat" ,and if i understood correctly, that was the judge? That's a bit...weird?

Also, great to see justice served.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Arcanist said:

Goddamnit.
agreed, the media messes everything up, and what kind of idiot would even think of publishing this, he must have absolutely no sense at all...

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
Deathsong17 said:
Serves 'em right. Did they really think that fake cover looked official?
They know nothing about video games. Other than the propaganda fed to them by the U.S. politicians. But A quick google image search on a grand theft auto box art (any of them, they all follow the same art style art style IIRC) and realized that box art was not nearly up to the standards of a normal box art of a Grand Theft Auto game.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
Good. This story is sad because the ranter was doing exactly what he was ranting against the game for doing. Trying to make money off a sad incident and upsetting everybody involved.

I am sad to read that the *ahem* newspaper was not forced to pay or even apologise to the grandmother of Moat's ex-girlfriend. She was upset and tricked by a lie designed to make money. The ranter should have to pay every penny of this fine from his own pocket.