Player Creates Working Computer in Minecraft

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Player Creates Working Computer in Minecraft

A Minecraft player created a computer capable of actual calculations using only sticks, stones and fire.

Using the tools and materials in Minecraft, a Minecraft player named "theinternetftw" created a simple Artihmetic Logic Unit, or ALU, which is the basis of all computer microprocessors. By using torches to ignite Redstone wires [http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuits], which can then carry a charge, theinternetftw's computer is able to perform simple arithmetic. In the demo video, he adds 2 + 1, and the answer is output as 11, which equals 3 in binary code. The project is far from complete as he plans to add RAM and registers to make it a legitimate computer.

Using technical prowess far beyond mine, theinternetftw got the idea to build the ALU from a book called The Elements of Computer Systems from the MIT Press [http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=10218]. He implemented the hack computer system in Minecraft based on the specs described in that book.

If your brain is hurting from the fact that someone used a computer game, which runs on many more complex ALUs combined into a microprocessor, to create a rudimentary ALU, you are not the only one. It's like Alanis Morrisette's Ironic song and Double Rainbow all combined into one.

I'm not sure what it means, but it's awesome.

Source: Hack A Day [http://hackaday.com/2010/09/29/16-bit-alu-in-minecraft/#more-28724]

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Essentially any system that allows you to put together a transistor object can make computers. Dwarf Fortress, Little Big Planet, and now Minecraft. Once you get past the ALU it gets really complicated, with things like a bus and memory.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
That's the truly evil thing about Minecraft - such a simple game can become so ridiculous given only time and effort. It's like if Plants vs. Zombies could have baby kittens that do math. Takes me back to the mid-90s, playing with <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widget_Workshop>Widget Workshop as a young dork.

NeedAUserName said:
That must have taken him ages to do. Imagine doing it and finding out you made a mistake...
There are importer scripts that let you use PNG files to make each layer, so it was probably a bit easier than digging up a world and building the whole thing, while fighting off skeletons riding spiders.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Yo dawg, so I heard you liked computing, so I put a computer in your computer so you can compute while you compute!

Pretty nicely done indeed, but I still prefer the Enterprise D 1:1 model for sheer geek points.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
..................:O

that is amasing...how did he find the time..and someone pleese give him a job doing...idk something...pay him to think

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I wonder how similar this is to those stupidly complex automated, fluid computers people make in Dwarf Fortress.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
You dawg, we heard you like computers, so we put a computer in your computer so you could compute while you compute.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Yo dawg I heard you like computers so we put a computer in your computer so you can play minecraft while you play minecraft!!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Greg Tito said:
The project is far from complete as he plans to add RAM and registers to make it a legitimate computer.
And then port Minecraft to it.

But seriously, it's impressive work. I heard tell that this guy's getting job offers because of this.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
......................holy shit.......... ok so it adds, right?....yeah im quite confused on this... very impressive...

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
What is it with creative games and making computers? I couldn't think of anything more boring or tedious to do with it.

Still impressive though.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
CaptainCrunch said:
That's the truly evil thing about Minecraft - such a simple game can become so ridiculous given only time and effort. It's like if Plants vs. Zombies could have baby kittens that do math.

NeedAUserName said:
That must have taken him ages to do. Imagine doing it and finding out you made a mistake...
There are importer scripts that let you use PNG files to make each layer, so it was probably a bit easier than digging up a world and building the whole thing, while fighting off skeletons riding spiders.
hate those guys who clearly just imported a pic but claim to have built it :(