Langdell Loses His Edge

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Langdell Loses His Edge

Edge Games [http://www.ea.com] in a courtroom victory that could ultimately leave Langdell facing criminal charges.

Edge Games, the notoriously litigational company that claims domain over all things "Edge," cancel several of Edge's trademarks [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101386-Edge-Games-Sues-EA-Over-Mirrors-Edge]. Edge Games demanded an injunction against EA and hefty financial damages.

But the courts sided with EA in a big way, not just dismissing the case but also taking clear note of the dodgy nature of Langdell's business, including the fact that Edge Games apparently used a faked magazine cover and game boxes to assert its trademarks despite not having actually made any games between 1989 and "at least 2003."

"Given the suspect nature of Dr. Langdell's representations to both the USPTO [http://www.uspto.gov/] and the Court concerning plaintiff's current and future sales and business activities, it is an open question whether plaintiff's business activities legitimately extend beyond trolling various gaming-related industries for licensing opportunities," wrote Judge William Alsup of the U.S. District Court.

"EA also presents compelling evidence that there was no bona fide use of the 'Edge' mark in commerce by plaintiff, its licensees, or its predecessors in interest at all between 1989 and to at least 2003. Even after 2003, the evidence that plaintiff had been making bona fide use of the 'Edge' mark in commerce is suspect," he continued. "For example, Dr. Langdell's declaration asserted that Edge Games has been selling the video game Mythora [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PXSJVC/sr=1-2/qid=1283302437/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1283302437&sr=1-2&seller=] (supposedly bearing the 'Edge' mark) since 2004. Curiously, while the exterior packaging submitted by Dr. Langdell to the USPTO for the Mythora video game included a website address, this website wasn't even registered by Edge Games until October 2008 - nearly four years after the game's purported release."

That's bad enough, but things really got ugly for Langdell when the judge warned that he could be facing criminal charges for his past misdeeds. "The record contains numerous items of evidence that plaintiff willfully committed fraud against the USPTO in obtaining and/or maintaining registrations for many of the asserted 'Edge' marks, possibly warranting criminal penalties if the misrepresentations prove true," he wrote.

The decision has no direct bearing on any of Edge's other licenses (or the conflicts that have arisen therefrom) and it'll be awhile yet before all the various legal knots are untangled. Given the court's strongly-worded criticism of Langdell's behavior, however, it certainly appears that his days of influence are numbered.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-10-05-court-rules-in-favour-of-ea-over-trolling-langdell]

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
Proof that trolls never pay. Just another a-hole taking advantage of the court system, wasting tax payer money. I say that Escapist needs to be as tough with trolls as this court is.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
The following video contains a metaphor of what EA has just done:

At last, Langdell is going to get what was coming to him.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Huzzah!
This is a good day indeed.
So long Langdell, you douche!
Enough of this ridiculous edge nonsense.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Langdell... has a doctorate?

On Topic: Good news, very good news. I am pleased and I may sleep well today.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Do love that picture.

Glad to see Langdell's getting the legal crotch-punch he deserves.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
WOO HOO! This is a happy day indeed! Good for EA! We need to keep the trolls out of the patent office and allow innovation.

If Mr Langdell was actually publishing games and not just re-releasing games from over 10 years ago, I would see his side and possibly support it, but he's not. So kudos to EA, I shall have this shot in your honor!

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Hope Apple fails just as hard as this guy. You can't copyright basic words, thats just stupid. Thats like trying to claim ownership over the word steak, or dog.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Well, we did try to warn him that messing with EA was a very bad idea. Then again we couldn't fully comunicate that to him since we weren't allowed to tell him "You're teetering on the edge of oblivion by pursuing this quest." cause he'd have just sued us.

Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Hope Apple fails just as hard as this guy. You can't copyright basic words, thats just stupid. Thats like trying to claim ownership over the word steak, or dog.
The difference between apple and this guys is that apple is actually a legitimate company that still actively participates in the market. Langdell has just been using his company that hasn't produced anything since the dawn of the internet to extort millions of dollars out of companies and has even taken a few swings at the indie crowd as well.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
That's not even karma, that's common sense.

Congratulations, Landgell, you are now a troll legally. That's quite an accomplishment.

I hope they sue you to the ground.

illiterate

Sep 10, 2008
Langdell wasn't smacked down over taking the word "Edge" out of public domain. The judge is simply calling him out on being a legal parasite and a fraudster.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
TL;DR: Guy is douche, gets comeuppance.
Now, if we could only do that to bobby kotick and we'd be on our way.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
illiterate said:
Langdell wasn't smacked down over taking the word "Edge" out of public domain. The judge is simply calling him out on being a legal parasite and a fraudster.
I'm fully aware of that but still, you can't own a basic word........ Anyway yes your right, he is trully a pathetic little paraiste. (Fuck I haven't even heard of "Edge games" till today)

Neofishie

Sep 23, 2010
The fact that the phrase "trolling" has by used by a judge and has entered the legal jargon makes me look forward to when lawyers communicate solely in emoticons and text-speak. Solely for the lulz.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
The difference between apple and this guys is that apple is actually a legitimate company that still actively participates in the market. Langdell has just been using his company that hasn't produced anything since the dawn of the internet to extort millions of dollars out of companies and has even taken a few swings at the indie crowd as well.
Indeed, I believe Apple (the tech company) got sued by Apple (the record label of The Beatles) shortly after iTunes gained major popularity. If Apple (computers) were like Langdell, they would have sued Apple records (and lost, most likely)