NBA Jam Remake Sets Obama on Fire

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
NBA Jam Remake Sets Obama on Fire

Politicians are back in the new NBA Jam with Republicans and Democrats now going head-to-head on the court.

Forget the Electoral College, the only true way to settle a political dispute is through an extreme game of basketball. Thanks to the upcoming remake of NBA Jam [http://www.amazon.com/NBA-JAM-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003KZJB2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286291670&sr=8-1], constituents will be able to jam in the faces of multiple politicians they may or may not despise once again.

The original NBA Jam of 1993 featured former President Bill Clinton, first-lady and presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton, and vice-president Al Gore. The remake brings even more politicians out on the court, featuring the Clinton family and Gore again, but also Joe Biden, Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Sarah Palin, John McCain, and Dick Cheney.

Creative Director of NBA Jam Trey Smith told ESPN that the inclusion of new secret characters was a priority from day one. He believes the reason why NBA Jam was so popular in the 1990s was because it surprised players with things like hidden politicians and big-head mode.

Smith says that these politicians have some of the "best dunk faces in the entire game." Dick Cheney does what Smith calls his "Darth Vader snarl," while Palin dunks on foes sporting a beehive haircut. Smith has "no idea" how the development team got permission to use the faces of popular politicians in the game. He says an email request was sent out one day citing the original 1993 political inclusions, and a response eventually came back saying: "Yes, go for it."

Obama and friends aren't the only secret characters to be found in Jam, with plenty of non-political opponents also included such as the Beastie Boys. NBA Jam was released on the Wii today, and though it was once an exclusive, a planned pack-in deal with the very much delayed NBA Elite 11 [http://www.amazon.com/NBA-Elite-11-Xbox-360/dp/B003KZQUWE/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286292471&sr=1-3] has EA scrambling to bring it out on its own for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 by the holidays.

Source: ESPN [http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/5650055/palin-obama-star-nba-jam?readmore=fullstory]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
If Gore's in it, does "He's on fire!" Now confirm Global Warming?

I loved the celebrity figures in the prior releases. Should be amusing this time.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Hahahaha. Nice. I remember having a nice WTF moment when I first saw Clinton in the game. I miss basketball games where you could jump a hundred feet in the air while doing a flip before slam dunking. Glad to see it's coming back.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Oddly enough, I find the best part of that news to be that Dick Cheney's in the game. Still, I think they're missing out on a great opportunity here. They could have put some other Presidents in the roster. I'd chew my own leg off to watch Taft play against FDR.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
Me and my best friend popped in NBA Jam TE on the Sega just for nostalgia sake.
Still holds up to this day. Still fun. Still competitive.

^_^

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Can Dick Cheney shoot the other players?
No, but he can shoot badass 3 points. Haha!

Is it bad if I really want to play as G. Bush? That will be awesome! :D

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Dude... they should put ManBearPig in this game. I want to see ManBearPig square off against Al Gore. That would be awesome.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Tom Goldman said:
Smith has "no idea" how the development team got permission to use the faces of popular politicians in the game.
You don't usually need permission to use the likenesses of politicians. It's the same reason you can see all those cheap Obama toys, coins, and statues for sale.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Can Dick Cheney shoot the other players?
They couldn't put him in Madden because he misunderstood the term "shotgun formation".

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
-Zen- said:
Oddly enough, I find the best part of that news to be that Dick Cheney's in the game. Still, I think they're missing out on a great opportunity here. They could have put some other Presidents in the roster. I'd chew my own leg off to watch Taft play against FDR.
Indeed. We could have tons of incredible, historical figure unlocks like Churchill, and Abraham Lincoln.

Better yet, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter!

More fighting games need things like this as well. Soul Calibur/er would be have been awesome with such additions.[footnote]Screw Yoda, I want to drive an axe through someone as George Washington[/footnote]