Analyst Predicts Modern Warfare 3 Will Be a Sledgehammer Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Analyst Predicts Modern Warfare 3 Will Be a Sledgehammer Game

The next chapter of the Modern Warfare will be on shelves by early Spring 2012, says Janco Partners analyst Mike Hickey.

After the upheaval at Infinity Ward earlier this year, Hickey thinks that the studio will be in no fit state to make Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Instead, he thinks that role will fall to the latest addition to the Call of Duty development family, Sledgehammer Games.

In a research note released today, Hickey wrote that believed Modern Warfare 3 would be released by the end of Activision's 2011 fiscal year, meaning some time before March 31st 2012, and could sell in excess of eighteen million units. He also thought that an online only Call of Duty game would launch in China, also before the end of March 2012, and that Bungie would release an MMO in the following fiscal year.

It's certainly possible that Activision could hand over development duties on Modern Warfare 3 to another studio, but whether it's going to be Sledgehammer is another matter entirely. If the torch does get passed, giving it to a brand new, unproven studio, with a background in third-person adventure games, rather than first-person shooters seems like a rather risky proposition. It seems a lot more likely that Treyarch would be given the task, having produced several Call of Duty [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286476999&sr=1-1 ] games already.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=268699]

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
if this turns out to be true, it could end up being a nice, refreshing change.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
I predict lamentations. I wouldn't be surprised to see some gnashing of teeth as well.

Activision really fucked up this time.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
If it actually gets released during Spring, awesome. If it fixes the horribly fucked up plot from Modern Warfare 2, double awesome. If they fix everything wrong about Modern Warfare 2 in MW3, then even more awesome.

Then again, I'm still left with a bitter taste from MW2, so I couldn't care less at this point.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
I was going to ask what a "Sledgehammer Games" was, but you meant the game studio...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
So we'll go from Call of duty, modern warfare to "Call of duty, SPACE RAINBOWS".

Then they'll make halo dark and gritty. That's my prediction. Can I get my own news post please?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
I thought that Sledgehammer was going to do a renewal of the franchise, not another MW, in any case, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
This guy is delusional... Black Ops in Nov, right? So, only 4 months and they will release another CoD game? I... don't think so.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Wolfram01 said:
This guy is delusional... Black Ops in Nov, right? So, only 4 months and they will release another CoD game? I... don't think so.
Re-read the dates. It's March 2012, not 2011.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I'm wondering if people are beginning to see a pattern here.

Obviously Activision is milking this series for all it's worth. And as we've seen, constantly harping on a series will only have it blow up in your face at some point (see Call of Duty 3). They're trying the same thing with "Black Ops" as they did with Call of Duty 4. They're trying to refresh the series with a new locale and time before returning to the old cash cow and utterly failing (see Call of Duty: World at War).

I see potential in Black Ops for the same reason that I saw potential in Call of Duty 4 before it came out, but Modern Warfare 3 will backfire, I think. Just as World at War did.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Infinity Ward is not in good form? Maybe it's because all the important people from this studio left you, Activision, because you were di**s? Nah, that's totally impossible, Mr. Kotick?

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
He's named Hickey?

Oh dear lord, that means that the street he lives in will be Apocalypse Lane!

flipsalty

May 11, 2010
I thought that Activision didn't have the rights for "Modern Warfare 3". I thought that IW kept the naming rights to that series so wouldn't it technically have to be called something else?

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
first i thought when reading the title ''they replaced knifes with sledgehammers? awesome!'' seems i was a bit off...

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Whether it's made by Treyarch or Sledgehammer, one thing will remain true: MW3 will still be a shitty game compared to CoD4. Just like World at War, and just like MW2. CoD4 is the Ocarina of Time of FPS.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
So I'm guessing Respawn didn't get the Modern Warfare rights? Shame but at least they can do something else then.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Logan Westbrook said:
Wolfram01 said:
Re-read the dates. It's March 2012, not 2011.
Oh... right...

Well in that case... no duh?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
In a research note released today, Hickey wrote that believed Modern Warfare 3 would be released by the end of Activision's 2011 fiscal year, meaning some time before March 31st 2012, and could sell in excess of eighteen million units.
unless, like with Guitar Hero, the public gets exhausted of realistic shooters... let's hope Duke Nukem Forever causes a revolution (I know Bulletstorm and Gears of War are both coming out soon as well, OVER THE TOP SHOOTERS FOR THE WIN!)

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I'm sure we all eagerly await the next crowning jewel in this over-used franchise. Sure, I understand a lot of people like their realistic shooters and that's fine. But how about some innovation rather than releasing the same title every 2-3 years?

They already killed music games by doing this.