Question of the Day, October 11, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, October 11, 2010

It seems that everyone is jumping on the Minecraft cart these days. burnt his in-game house down [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/8194-Experienced-Points-Mine-all-Minecraft] while making a tutorial on how to make a fireplace. What about you? Do you play Minecraft? Feel free to post screenshots!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I do wanna play it - Looks like fun! Plus, the enterprise looked epic

drphil1234

Nov 9, 2009
I loved playing it for a couple weeks, but then it lost its luster as I ran out of ideas for awesome structures to make.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I'm fascinated by the various machinations of people - from the ALU and massive Enterprise to the projects people on the IRC channel have been working on.

But I'm not too sure what I would do with the game myself, so I don't have it.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
i tried it the week it was free...it was all right but not that terribly great.

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
I play the free version, just because i dont have the cash to buy it.

Love the game.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Yes, it's the perfect game for me because I spend a lot of time in front of a computer at work. It's surprisingly zen, logging on and adding new tunnels to my network of underwater glass tubes.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
I've got it, I play around with it, but to call anything I do interesting is a bit of a stretch. It's pretty fun, but I won't say it's worth any more than the alpha already costs. It's a neat concept, a decent application of the concept, but it lacks polish.

Maybe if it cleans up quite a bit for the finalized product. Not a bad time waster, and very good at sinking the hours away, but not really something I'd write home about. Won't stop me from goofing off on it once in a while. It's software LEGO.

There's also an Escapist Minecraft server. Just plug minecraft.escapistmagazine.com into the client's Multiplayer option.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
During the free weekend, I tried it. Realized I was mining for diamond to make more diamond picks so I could keep mining. Kinda lame I thought. Then I watched a youtube video of someone building a tower, and thought, "I could do that..." Been hooked since. Two castles, two towers, and underground road system, various mines, underground tree farm...

However, I've put play on hold for now, as the Halloween update will introduce several changes and from what I hear, Bimoes won't be compatible with old saves, so I'll probably start a new world then.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
It's Lego with one sized bricks and the Alpha is pretty fun trying to prioritize one's survival versus building fun stuff. I've wasted so much time already. If you're thinking about getting it, best to do it now.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
itf cho said:
During the free weekend, I tried it. Realized I was mining for diamond to make more diamond picks so I could keep mining.
Save your diamond picks for things that actually require them, like obsidian, redstone and more diamonds. You can probably get away with a stone or an iron pick for everything else.

Xocrates

May 4, 2008
snowman6251 said:
I have a mac so I can't play it right?

Otherwise I totally would.
The game is available for Windows, mac, and Linux. Say goodbye to your life :)

OT: Yeah, I play the game and quite like it. In fact, a videogame tribute I was heavily involved in just got an official acknowledgement: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/introversion/viewtopic.php?t=2571

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Nevyrmoore said:
itf cho said:
During the free weekend, I tried it. Realized I was mining for diamond to make more diamond picks so I could keep mining.
Save your diamond picks for things that actually require them, like obsidian, redstone and more diamonds. You can probably get away with a stone or an iron pick.
Oh I know that now. And considering that my 2nd world (wanted to see a non frozen/winter world) where I've built all the stuff, doesn't seem to have much diamond, it's a good thing too. I realize it's there, but I'm just not as lucky finding it as I was in my first world. My first world seems to have diamond all over the bottom layers. I do most of my mining with stone picks and shovels. I have a diamond sword, but that is the only diamond tool. I save the iron/steel tools for the redstone and diamond when I do find it. I haven't bothered with obsidian.