Sesame Street "Old Spice Guy" Parody Wins the Internet

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sesame Street "Old Spice Guy" Parody Wins the Internet

Stop what you're doing right now. It's over, guys. Turn the internet off, we're done.

While many of our readers at The Escapist are located all over the world, here at our home base in Durham, North Carolina it's Friday night. That means it's time to post something silly, adorable, or just plain odd to kick off the weekend. This video happens to be all three.

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. This is a Sesame Street skit starring everybody's lovable skinny blue monster Grover in a parody of the popular Old Spice commercial [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE&feature=channel] with Isaiah Mustafa. In it, he helps teach children the meaning of the word "on," while simultaneously making almost every adult who has grown up on Sesame Street break out into a fit of smiles.

History will show that I do love parodies involving Muppets [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96338-Watch-Jim-Hensons-Muppet-Bohemian-Rhapsody-Right-Now], but I think I'm vindicated in this one. It's educational, it's incredibly clever - if only for the ending alone - and it's really, really cute.

I don't think we need the internet anymore. Something tells me we're not going to top this. This is the pinnacle of human creation right here.

Okay, maybe it isn't quite that monumental. Either way, it's just a great way to start off the weekend. (Unless you're in a time zone where it's already the weekend, in which case it's just awesome.)

(Via The Daily What [http://thedailywh.at/post/1271621473/stop-what-youre-doing-and-watch-the-hell-out-of])

ShwimShwam

Sep 28, 2009
I am on a horse.

(moo)

Cow.

This is quite possibly the best parody of the ad so far. :D

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
...I don't know how to respond to that... but I do agree that it was pretty funny. Though I doubt most kids would get it that much.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Okay... this is officially the greatest thing ever made.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I can't see it. Obviously it is so good it has broken my iPhone. I need to get to a PC right away. I dont care that its 2am.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Epic fucking win.

Side note: I thought it was "Sesame Park" or some BS now because "street" supposedly encouraged kids to play in the street... or am I way off base here?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Copypasty said:
Did you know that the meme "you win the internet" was orignally used ironicly?
Yes. As with all language, it evolves over time. :)

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
You're right, this has made my weekend awesome.

I'm not sure if it quite explained the meaning of the word 'on', but I don't really give a fuck.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Target Acquired. The Monster has failed on copyrighted style of awesomeness that is the Old Spice guy.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
now we just need the cookie monster, yes COOKIE monster to parody an above the influence ad and the universe will explode from the awesome.