NYCC 2010 Hands On: Golden Sun Dark Dawn

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
NYCC 2010 Hands On: Golden Sun Dark Dawn

Control the elements with your djinn in the rebirth of this GBA favorite.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn [http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Sun-Dark-Dawn-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001TOMR6Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1286810204&sr=1-1] for the DS picks up 30 years after the events of the GBA games, with the original characters' descendents signing up for hero duty this time around. From what I played, the core turn-based JRPG gameplay remains largely unchanged, with the emphasis once again on collecting djinn. Djinn are creatures that give you access to different kinds of elementally-themed powers called "psynergy"; the more you find, the stronger spells you can cast. The djinn themselves also have abilities that can be used in battle, such as lowering enemy defenses or healing members of your party. When enough djinn have been used and put on "standby," they can all summon deities like Atalanta or Rameses, which do devastating amounts of damage.

Unfortunately, the demo I got to play was very short. First, I got to work through the basics of battle, attacking with weapons, casting spells, and summoning deities with my djinn. The combat will feel immediately familiar to fans of the series, but newcomers should have no trouble picking up Dark Dawn's strategy. I also got to try a level that focused more on how you can use the djinn's power to solve environmental puzzles. I had to navigate my way through a simple obstacle course using two spells: fire and move. Fire, as you might expect, burns things away and lights fuses, while move can shove objects at a distance. I had to roll a few logs in the proper sequence to clear a path, and move statues over fountains to save a djinn - nothing too taxing. I was a bit stumped when I saw a djinn trapped at the top of a tree, but the Nintendo rep suggested I think about what I would do if my cat were trapped up a tree. When I tried to use fire to burn the tree down, he shook his head. "You must be a dog person."

You can use the stylus, the stylus and face buttons, or just the buttons to interact with Dark Dawn; I absolutely hated trying to use the stylus to control the spells and quickly abandoned that approach for buttons-only. Perhaps it was just that the unit I was playing had fallen victim to thousands of Comic Con attendees, but I found the stylus to be sloppy and unresponsive. Once I switched to the d-pad and buttons, I had no problems at all.

Dark Dawn's look is completely in keeping with the previous Golden Suns - bright, colorful sprites, dramatic deities and adorable little djinn. I wish I'd gotten to play more, but I guess I'll have to wait until the game comes out on November 29.

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
man i want this game! i had (and loved) the GBA ones...and even after the GBA had gone to the console graveyard i still played it on the VBA emulator....although i gave up on my DS years ago due to the games that were too childish...might have to invest in one again just to play this!

side note!
when it comes to RPG's on the DS, another good 'un would be "Contact" which is a rather unheard of RPG, but totally freaking sweet and original! a must get/check that out game!

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I tried at least five times to play the first one, but I always lost interest by the town with the flooded caves. I always feel bad about it, too, because I can tell the game is great, but I just can't get into it :(

EDIT: To further express my point here, I WANT to try Dark Dawn, but I absolutely cannot risk buying it or else it might be a waste of money for me. I already made the same mistake this year with Brutal Legend. Don't want to make it again.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
*Fanboy Squeal* Oh my God I am so excited for this game. My playthrough of the first one was about 80 hours and the second one 100 hours so I am so stoked for this game

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
You can use the stylus, the stylus and face buttons, or just the buttons to interact with Dark Dawn; I absolutely hated trying to use the stylus to control the spells and quickly abandoned that approach for buttons-only. Perhaps it was just that the unit I was playing had fallen victim to thousands of Comic Con attendees, but I found the stylus to be sloppy and unresponsive. Once I switched to the d-pad and buttons, I had no problems at all.
Awesome! Everytime I saw a video for the game where they were using the stylus, I was thinking "Eh, I dunno, it worked fine with just the buttons on the GBA. That seems a bit too gimmicky." It's great to know I can just ignore it now.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
I tried at least five times to play the first one, but I always lost interest by the town with the flooded caves. I always feel bad about it, too, because I can tell the game is great, but I just can't get into it :(
Yeah, Altin (town's name for anyone else who cares) was boring after the first run-through for me. At least you only have to go through it once.

OT: I was hoping for this to be controlled like the older games, and I am satisfied. If I have the funds and a competent market to go to, I will attempt to get this on launch day.

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
Goddomot, I didn't even get to play the second one and they do this shit?

I have too many games to catch up on already. D;

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Ugh, I don't like the 3D. :(

Other than that it looks great, but the old 2D Sprites had their charm.

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
any other golden sun fans go "Psynergy has a 'p' you silly man!" out of interest?

more ontopic, oh my gosh, it has a release date now :D happy happy happy

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
riottrio said:
any other golden sun fans go "Psynergy has a 'p' you silly man!" out of interest?

more ontopic, oh my gosh, it has a release date now :D happy happy happy
I was going to post that.

PSYCHIC + ENERGY = PSYNERGY CMON MAN

November 29th? This year? REALLY?!

YEAAAAAAAAH

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Mezzo. said:
Goddomot, I didn't even get to play the second one and they do this shit?

I have too many games to catch up on already. D;
What the what...

WE'VE WAITED 6 YEARS FOR THIS maybe more! With all due respect SCREW YOU SIR! You frankly haven't dealt with the pain of "Golden Sun Sequel?" at every convention ever.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Veldt Falsetto said:
Does anyone know if I can transfer my game from the 2nd one, I know it's a long shot but...can I?
I asked about that and was told "probably not." That's not a definite no, of course, but it doesn't bode well.

TraderJimmy said:
Heh. You're mean, burning that poor kitty.

Now I want to know how you get the cat down...goddammit.
You just climb the tree. :) Stupidly obvious, I know, but I never even thought of it.