Darkness Sequel Delayed by Rights Issues

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Darkness Sequel Delayed by Rights Issues

Jackie Estacado might keep a running total of the number of times he's died, but creator Top Cow wants him to add a rebirth to the tally as well.

Despite some teasing and poking at the hands of the Unskippable [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/551-The-Darkness] crew, The Darkness [http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Xbox-360/dp/B000HX1P72/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1286739362&sr=8-2 ] - the story of mobster turned monster Jackie Estacado and his quest for vengeance against the men who betrayed him - was pretty well received. Rumors of a sequel to the 2007 shooter have been floating around for some time, and creator Top Cow says that it can see no reason not to make one, once it straightens out a few legal issues.

Top Cow's marketing director Atom! Freeman said that there were no specific plans for the sequel, but that it was something that was on the minds of everyone at Top Cow. He said that the issues that needed to be resolved were to do with rights, but they were in the process of being dealt with so that the project could move ahead.

Freeman wouldn't go into any further detail, but as Top Cow is the owner of The Darkness property, it seems reasonable to assume that it has some problem it needs to work out with either 2K Games or Starbreeze Studios, which published and developed the first Darkness game respectively.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/08/darkness-sequel-still-planned-top-cow-clearing-up-rights-issues/]

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
There was a lot of potential in The Darkness. I loved the story, and the gore, but there was not enough interactivity with the environment, and a lot of the levels were too small.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
It was an amazing game, one of my first 360 games. i really enjoyed the story, I think because it ended ambiguously. With you pulling helicopters into mansions. Also, the darkness tentacles had sort of a personality to themselves!

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
such a large amount of time i spent in that game deliberatly searching for more hearts for my darkness buddies to nom nom....and more people to throw around with the tenticle spikes :D

aaahhh...fun times :D

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010
I would really like this to happen, as I actually really enjoyed the first game, even though the Darklings were irritating as hell. :D

EDIT: Even more importantly, will Mike Patton make a return in his role as The Darkness?\x

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I hope they do manage a sequel. It was a great game and had room for a sequel. I have a list of things they could fix too.

I've never read the comic or know how it relates to the game, but I'd guess thee re plenty of unused plotlines.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
The darkness was actually pretty original, with the whole summoning thing in a FPS.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
I hated the Darkness. Never finished it due to a few areas not giving enough info as to how to pass things.

Now I await the "You idiot!" posts.

DR3AMCATCH3R94

Apr 2, 2009
Cliff_m85 said:
I hated the Darkness. Never finished it due to a few areas not giving enough info as to how to pass things.

Now I await the "You idiot!" posts.
while yes, some parts were a bit tough to follow, it was still an incredible game. one of the first games i got with my xbox, along with bioshock and other greats. the story, setting and characters were all done greatly and the darkness with there powers and evil personality added more color to the game. cant wait for the sequel

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I played the game once or twice and was impressed with a lot of the details. I recommended it to a friend and he said it was the worst game he'd ever played. I guess the lines that were said when you died made him laugh for being stupid or something.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I really do hope that they make this sequel. As flawed as the original was, and by god was it, it was still a good game with a great story and fabulous storytelling technique.

I have no idea how they did it so well, but watching Jenny's (I think that's her name; it's been a long, long time) death gave me a genuine sense of loss and pure rage. Considering how little she had appeared up to that point, that is goddamned impressive.

EDIT:
Before I forget, for the love of god, take out the gremlins (Darklings, whatever). They were annoying, mostly useless, and felt very out of place.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
-Zen- said:
I really do hope that they make this sequel. As flawed as the original was, and by god was it, it was still a good game with a great story and fabulous storytelling technique.

I have no idea how they did it so well, but watching Julia's (I think that's her name; it's been a long, long time) death gave me a genuine sense of loss and pure rage. Considering how little she had appeared up to that point, that is goddamned impressive.

EDIT:
Before I forget, for the love of god, take out the gremlins (Darklings, whatever). They were annoying, mostly useless, and felt very out of place.
It's Jenny.

OT: I hope the issues don't take too long to resolve. I really want a sequel.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Grayjack said:
It's Jenny.

OT: I hope the issues don't take too long to resolve. I really want a sequel.
Shitbiscuits, am I an imbecile. Thank you for telling me that. If you'll excuse me, I'll go correct my original post.

REAPER5594

Nov 3, 2009
I thought it was a pretty good game and to this day, I can still hear The Darkness try to tempt me to do something evil. "Theeeessse Baassstardss are Moving too slooow thhhrough the HALL! kill,kill,kill KILLKILL!!!!!" however, let the left snake thing eat a heart once in a while. and let us melee attack with the darkness. and let us eat braaaaains! hell, let us "play" with the people we kill, leave 'em dismembered, hangin' from street lamps, ect.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
REAPER5594 said:
I thought it was a pretty good game and to this day, I can still hear The Darkness try to tempt me to do something evil. "Theeeessse Baassstardss are Moving too slooow thhhrough the HALL! kill,kill,kill KILLKILL!!!!!" however, let the left snake thing eat a heart once in a while. and let us melee attack with the darkness. and let us eat braaaaains! hell, let us "play" with the people we kill, leave 'em dismembered, hangin' from street lamps, ect.
The right one is a greedy douce. Poor left tentacle. :(

Linkassassin360

Dec 28, 2009
The darkness was pretty groundbreaking in many reguards, with the best intergration of powers and gunplay I had ever seen. Kinda sad its taking so long to make a sequel though.
Heres a few things that made it awesome enough to deserve a sequel:
The ability to pull the trigger just a tad bit to draw back the gun hammer
An intresting cutscene narration FOR loading screens
A story that actually plays into every thing you do and place you go, that is both badass and touching at the same time. Remeber Jenny?
A gritty story with both the mob and Jackie's possession intertwining without either overshadowing the other.
And of course the variety of demon powers, from summoning to the impale (personal favorite)