Duke Nukem Demo Discussion Blows Away Vaporware Label, Says Gearbox

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Duke Nukem Demo Discussion Blows Away Vaporware Label, Says Gearbox

Gearbox is excited that you're excited about Duke Nukem Forever.

Just a few years ago, the chances of actually seeing Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0HAC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284415313&sr=8-1&tag=vglnk-c21-20] on shelves seemed about as likely as seeing a unicorn driving a bus. But since a new developer took over, it seems much more likely that we'll one day actually get to play it, and Gearbox thinks that talk of a demo only helps make that idea more real.

Duke Nukem Forever has been in development since 1997, with released dates announced, missed, re-announced and re-missed. Gearbox's head of marketing Steve Gibson said that after such a long time and so much disappointment, the sense that someone was making solid, concrete plans about the game - like giving early access to the demo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104061-Borderlands-GOTY-Includes-Groovy-Duke-Nukem-Bonus] to those who bought the Game of the Year edition of Borderlands [http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-Game-Year-Xbox-360/dp/B0041OWQUI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286790249&sr=1-1] - was getting people excited about the game all over again. Gibson said he was "thrilled to death" that Gearbox had been able to rehabilitate Duke Nukem Forever and turn one of the longest standing jokes in gaming history into a game that people were actually looking forward to.

There's no release date planned for the Duke Nukem demo just yet, but Gibson thought that people would be "surprised" by the content of the demo and what happens in it. He implied it would be a pleasant surprise though, as he said he didn't want to spoil it before the demo came out. Duke Nukem Forever is scheduled for release on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 early next year. Y'know, provided that it isn't cursed or something.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-11-duke-forever-demo-for-everybody]

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
There's no release date planned for the Duke Nukem demo just yet...
If they gave some solid release dates, at least for the demo, people such as myself would be more inclined to believe the game is actually going to come out. Tell us a date for the demo, release it on the day set (no delays), and there may yet be hope for Duke Nukem Forever's release.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
And i bet it will be one of the Best Demo's so far.

So far that spot is by Batman Arkham Asylum (My opinion anyway ;D ), i could play that demo all day if i didn't have the game =D

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Duke Nukem Demo Discussion Blows Aware Vaporware Label, Says Gearbox
Should this not be ".. blows AWAY vaporware" as opposed to "blows AWARE vaporware?"

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Damn right you give us a demo! Why should only people who live in Washington and Brisbane get to play this game? 1997! That's how long I've been waiting boyo, along with many, many other Duke lovers.

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
i've been waiting forever aswell! :( i might have to splurge on the borderlands GOTY just to get early access to the demo, even though i have the game and all the expansions...

i'm currently playing through all the old duke games to get me in the mood ready for it aswell :p

GIVE MEH TEH DEMOZ!!!I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!!!

NOM NOM NOM DEMO NOM!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I want to try the PC demo...

Is this actually going to happen? What if this is all some huge, elaborate prank?

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Mr. Mike said:
Logan Westbrook said:
If they gave some solid release dates, at least for the demo, people such as myself would be more inclined to believe the game is actually going to come out. Tell us a date for the demo, release it on the day set (no delays), and there may yet be hope for Duke Nukem Forever's release.
And if the game never comes out, at least we'll have the demo.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Just a few years ago, the chances of actually seeing Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0HAC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284415313&sr=8-1&tag=vglnk-c21-20] on shelves seemed about as likely as seeing a unicorn driving a bus
When you're talking about games-design, a few years is a lot, so for people to have been expecting it a few years says how stupid this whole thing is. I think that while this game will be fun, it won't be worth the time people have waited. I'm just glad I was a little too young to get involved with it.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Why is Gearbox excited that we're excited?. Most of us certainly are not.

DNF is just a long running joke. If a decent game comes out of it, it will be a miracle.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
I ain't excited, but I'm still looking forward to playing the demo and, eventually, the full game.

smeghead25

Apr 28, 2009
Mr. Mike said:
Logan Westbrook said:
I'm getting sick of people like you...

Duke Nukem Forever IS coming out now. How do I know this? BECAUSE IT'S A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DEVELOPER! They've taken over the project, they've shown some progress, they're actually going around to places to show that it exists AND the developer is reliable! Find me one reason why it WOULDN'T come out and THEN start spouting crap about not believing it exists. People have played it. It obviously fucking exists.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
You know...I'm not the kind of person to buy into the hype. I never really got the whole thing about people like Peter Molyneux getting on the stage and hyping up their games to the nth degree, only to have the actual product suck ass compared to all their big promises and words. I never really managed to buy into that and always wound up seeing the same old marketing tactics and over-enthusiastic bollox that ultimately dissapoints and only serves to screw you over your cash.

But with this game...goddamn is there a schizm inside me. On the one hand I know the facts - over 12 years in development there is NO way that this game will have anything new or revolutionary in the terms of gameplay or mechanics...and yet...the idea of this kind of character with this kind of hilarious over-the-top content being released in today's modern-day serious climate that had thought it had rid itself of the 80s and 90s machismo just gets me so excited about it I honestly can't believe myself!

smeghead25

Apr 28, 2009
paketep said:
Why is Gearbox excited that we're excited?. Most of us certainly are not.

DNF is just a long running joke. If a decent game comes out of it, it will be a miracle.
Some of us are excited. It looks great and looks like it has some great humour. I'll be playing it on saturday and I'll make a thread to brag about it then I'm sure. It's made by one of the leading FPS's designers of our times, there is no reason this can't be good. A miracle doesn't have to happen for it to work out, just people need to stop expecting it to be the damn Messiah of gaming. It's a cheesy sci-fi FPS with an iconic character that aims to be FUN, that's all.

EDIT: Oh, and if anyone's wondering, I've never played a Duke Nukem game before. I'm not a fan, I just like what I've seen so far.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
I bet it will be a flop. Forgive me for being cynical, I can just see it happening. I'm calling it now: it will be made, but it will be mediocre.