Rockstar San Diego Not Shutting Down Anytime Soon

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

Far from what the rumors say, a rep from Rockstar assured me that their San Diego office is doing great and won't be closing anytime soon.

In early 2010, back before an open letter [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Xbox-360/dp/B001SH7YMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286809654&sr=8-1] addressed to Rockstar's corporate office in New York. The letter complained that everyone who was working on Red Dead Redemption have been working around the clock for a long time. There's nothing wrong with "crunch," as such forced overtime is called, but in this case the period of crunch had gone on for far too long.

Then there was a rumor that Rockstar San Diego would shut down or significantly cut its staff [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102091-Rumor-Red-Dead-Redemption-Dev-Lets-40-Staff-Go] after Red Dead Redemption was released, further exacerbating the horrible working conditions. An inside source at Rockstar told me that was not the case. The San Diego studio is going strong and there are no plans to shut it down.

I asked a Rockstar representative point blank at New York Comic Con whether San Diego was going to close its doors and his answer was simple:

"Nope. Still going strong. There are working hard on the DLC," he said. He couldn't confirm whether the studio was working on a new game or whether the success of Red Dead gave them all a free pass for a while. I'm sure that the game's critical reception [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7607-Review-Red-Dead-Redemption] certainly didn't hurt.

"We don't get as many perks as they do [here in New York.] They have a massage table in their office," the source said. The obvious question then came to mind but he unfortunately couldn't confirm or deny a pleasant conclusion to such proceedings.

With the large amount of DLC packs being released by Rockstar San Diego, it appears to be still in the swing of designing games. I've had so much fun with Red Dead Redemption that I have to admit it saddens me to think that the team there would be rewarded with a pink slip. I was happy to learn that I can hopefully expect more games from that talented team in the future.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I should hope not. They make the Midnight Club games...

I need my Midnight Club fix every few years.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Good. San Diego doesn't get nearly enough credit for video games as is.

...okay, so I didn't even know those guys were here, but still.

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
The San Diego branch did San Andreas right?...One of the best GTA's IMO. Would suck if they closed down. Implaying RDR now and it is a very good game. So they are talented.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Greg Tito said:

"We don't get as many perks as they do [here in New York.] They have a massage table in their office," the source said. The obvious question then came to mind but he unfortunately couldn't confirm or deny a pleasant conclusion to such proceedings.
This made me smirk. Also: Yay for RDR. Even with a few (imo) glaring faults the game is nothing short of fantastic and the first good cowboy game since forever.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
FlashHero said:
The San Diego branch did San Andreas right?...One of the best GTA's IMO. Would suck if they closed down. Implaying RDR now and it is a very good game. So they are talented.
All the console GTA games since gta3 have been made by R* North; they're in the UK but part of the same R* conglomerate.
These guys made most of RDR which (while not as outstanding as San Andreas) was one of the biggest games of the year so anyone who thought SD were still in trouble for the last couple of months needs their head examined.
I hope they do outdo San Andreas soon. It seems that lately they want to concentrate on serious stories and emotional themes rather than crazy game content. However Undead Nightmare dlc looks like they're putting the serious pretentiousness to bed.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
tzimize said:
Greg Tito said:

This made me smirk. Also: Yay for RDR. Even with a few (imo) glaring faults the game is nothing short of fantastic and the first good cowboy game since forever.
Like various plot holes, and bugs that respawn mountain lions every few second? Yes, it's far from perfect, but I haven't seen a more atmospheric game this console generation. Plus Westerns are a bit like space sims imho; you should forgive a few things, just because the genre is dying out...
Anyway, good for those guys, and I hope their working conditions have improved a bit.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
thethingthatlurks said:
tzimize said:
Greg Tito said:

Like various plot holes, and bugs that respawn mountain lions every few second? Yes, it's far from perfect, but I haven't seen a more atmospheric game this console generation. Plus Westerns are a bit like space sims imho; you should forgive a few things, just because the genre is dying out...
Anyway, good for those guys, and I hope their working conditions have improved a bit.
Also, the game has a lot of content, and most of it is very well done.

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
FlashHero said:
The San Diego branch did San Andreas right?
All the console GTA games since gta3 have been made by R* North; they're in the UK but part of the same R* conglomerate.
Ah thx for clearing that up i was confused lol.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
this isnt my name said:
latenightapplepie said:
After Red Dead Redemption, none of those fine folk should lose their jobs. That game was all kinds of excellent.
This.
Yep. Thank God, Rockstar San Diego ain't going down.

Now if we could only get Rockstar Vancouver to start on Bully 2...