Shenmue Voice Boss Conflicted About New Social Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Shenmue Voice Boss Conflicted About New Social Game

Osamu Murata, who worked on the original Shenmue [http://www.amazon.com/Shenmue-Playstation/dp/B00004S99R/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286880381&sr=1-1], says that creator Yu Suzuki doesn't really want to make a Shenmue social game.

Murata, who was the voice recording chief for Shenmue's localization into English, says he has "complicated feelings" about the recently announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104160-Shenmue-3-Announced-No-Just-a-Social-Game] Shenmue Town, a "social game" created by Yahoo Japan's PC based social gaming platform, Yahoo Mobage, and mobile internet company DeNa.

Writing on Twitter [http://twitter.com/osmmrt10 ], Murata said that a friend of his had set up Yahoo Mobage, and while he wanted to be pleased for his success, he was unhappy that someone was making a Shenmue game that he felt couldn't live up to the quality of the originals.

Murata said that when he was working on the original Shenmue, creator Yu Suzuki was a perfectionist who would get very angry if anyone cut corners. Murata remembered Suzuki working tirelessly to get the effect he wanted, even if it meant that he collapsed or made himself sick. Murata was convinced that what Suzuki really wanted to do was to release Shenmue on the PS3 or Xbox 360, although whether he was talking about a new Shenmue game or a re-release of the original isn't clear. He said that he wasn't sure what to feel when the thought about what had pushed Sega and Suzuki to the point of making a Shenmue social game.

Not that Sega is openly admitting to have anything to do with the game just yet. Murata said that he talked to contacts at Sega, who had told him that the Yahoo Mobage and a new company that Suzuki had set up were handling development duties and that Sega was waiting to see if the game was successful before putting its stamp on it.

Murata's comments are pretty damning, but he's making a lot of assumptions, both about the quality of Shenmue Town and about Yu Suzuki's attitudes and situation. When you've helped create something, it's understandable to be a little upset when someone does something with it that you don't like, but Murata is judging the game based on almost no information at all.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/10/shenmue_city_osamu_murata/]

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
RIP Shenmue.

Both of them are on the shelf behind me. I pre-ordered 2 from Funcoland/GameStop. When the US release was cancelled, they acquired copies of E for the pre-orders who still wanted it.

Fortunately, that was just after the release of the DC bootloader. Unfortunately, the disc-swapping method they used made playing the game a bit dicey.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I can understand his feelings. Playing Shenmue was a like looking at a work of art, and Shenmue II was probably amazing, but I haven't had the chance to play it, as it was never released for the Dreamcast here in the USA.

So many tiny details in the first game felt perfect, from picking up a pencil to taking out the Sega Saturn. It's obvious that painstaking effort was put into making it look perfect.

I'm sure that seeing your single-player story-driven epic reduced to a social cellphone game.

I mean, I haven't played it, I can't really complain about it, but I'm sure it won't have the level of detail that the first game had. I remember so much was just incredible - fighting animations, the sound of glass shattering, how the words synced up with the faces, the darts game in the arcade and harbor lounge...

I just don't think the same kind of experience that made Shenmue what it is could really be put into a cellphone game. I mean, is it just Shenmue with no story or combat? Sort of a free-roam mode and you end up finding people with your friends to, what, hang out at the arcade or park at? This is all pure speculation and should be disregarded, but I'm thinking out loud here trying to find some correlation as to how a social network game would even WORK with Shenmue.

I guess anyone can remain helpful, but I'd be concerned about it too. Maybe they're just trying to drum up excitement for Shenmue III...