Bioshock to be Part of Trilogy - At the Least

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Bioshock to be Part of Trilogy - At the Least

Take-Two Interactive head Strauss Zelnick dropped a substantial hint that Bioshock would be part of a trilogy - at the least.

In a conference call with investors and analysts, Zelnick responded to a question about the time frame for the release of previously-announced movie tied in with the game.

"It's unlikely that the picture would be released to coincide with Bioshock 2," he said. "It would be more likely that it would be released coincidentally with Bioshock 3. That also remains to be seen."

Zelnick also said the franchise was key to his company and that "roughly an every-three-year [release] schedule would be optimal."

The first-person shooter, which featured role-playing game elements and a storyline depicting an Ayn Rand-inspired underwater world gone awry, was first released on the Xbox 360 and later on the PC. A PlayStation 3 version was also recently announced.

Bioshock 2 is slated for a 2009 fall release.

Source: Gamespot.com [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6192149.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;4]

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Hmm...the ending(s) of the first one isn't really condusive to a traditional trilogy structure. I mean, you can't really go forward in time from those endings, and going back in time isn't really anoption if you want the final chapter in the trilogy to be the massive ending that ties all three together.

Just kind of sounds like Take-Two have some of that GTA IV money and are deciding to pump out sequels to fortify their market position.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

I like hedging my bets.

swatmajor1

Gimme 5 Minutes!
Jan 3, 2008
Well, is they think they can make a game which, while follows the theme set by Bioshock, let them be. And if its good, we will get it. If its not, then it will die, and we will all be like, "lalala sequals suck, lalala."

Just kidding, we will just have to wait and see on this one.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Hey Joe said:
Hmm...the ending(s) of the first one isn't really condusive to a traditional trilogy structure. I mean, you can't really go forward in time from those endings, and going back in time isn't really anoption if you want the final chapter in the trilogy to be the massive ending that ties all three together.

Just kind of sounds like Take-Two have some of that GTA IV money and are deciding to pump out sequels to fortify their market position.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

I like hedging my bets.
Agreed, it would be hard to see another game taking place after the first game, and they could only do a prequel if they went in an entirely new direction, perhaps showing the fall of the utopia.

Personally, I'd say they need to stop with the making of the sequels. I don't care how good the first game was.

"Congratulations, you made a successful game! What are you going to do now?"
"We're gonna milk that fucker for all she's worth!"

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
No doubt it will only be a sequel in name, since Bioshock was a pretty self contained story. Perhaps theyll do a prequel perhaps theyll revisit rapture in the future. Either way, nice to see plans for another franchise to be milked till its tits go septic :)

UpInSmoke

May 14, 2008
the game doesn't need or deserve a sequel. Doom-era gameplay w/ imaginary RPG elements tacked on. Boring backtrack/collect-a-thon tripe. I HATE that this game gets praised.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
T'was a fun game in my opinion, but why does everything have to be a trilogy these days? You just know that part 2 will be some lame excuse storyline, only there to tie 1 and 3 together.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
A prequel would be interesting, but then again not much could be said about it.
It would be interesting to have some sort of resistance related game, in the sense of either being on Andrew Ryan or [other guy who's name has eluded me]'s side fighting against the other. It hasn't really been said what kind of resistance was fought, just that there was resistance. The problem here is that it'd be so far removed from BioShock that the BioShock fanatics would be pissed and the 'blast them all' FPS players would be put off it due to the original's RPG/story elements so are unlikely to pick up the new one.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Cousin_IT said:
No doubt it will only be a sequel in name, since Bioshock was a pretty self contained story. Perhaps theyll do a prequel perhaps theyll revisit rapture in the future. Either way, nice to see plans for another franchise to be milked till its tits go septic :)
They could pull a Legacy of Kain and have the bad ending be cannon. It'd be pretty interesting to play a marine trying to invade an underwater city that's gone fascist. The army rolls up expecting everyone in Rapture to greet them with open arms and be pumped about you killing their evil leader.

Then, y'know, things get weird.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Rabid Toilet said:
Personally, I'd say they need to stop with the making of the sequels. I don't care how good the first game was.

"Congratulations, you made a successful game! What are you going to do now?"
"We're gonna milk that fucker for all she's worth!"
Except the original team behind the game is doing something completely different.

I hope Bioshock 2 sucks so badly that everyone ignores its existence. Like Highlander 2. Only a third doesn't come after the second sucks so bad.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Well, we'll see... I mean, Electroshock never got old, right? Right!?

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Fuck all you nay sayers. You guys are only jumping on their asses cause you understand that they weren't planning on a prequel/sequel and just because they had a massive success and want to make another Bioshock they should be condemned cause their in it for the money?

Who are you kidding? EVERYONE is in it for the money. Nah, there just making great games for the sole purpose of making you ungreatful SOBs happy.

Did you guys even like the first one? If so, I thought you would be like "Awesome, I get another chance to explore the city of Rapture through a hopefully thrilling storyline and atmoshpere as the last Bioshock." Not like "Motherfuckers! They know I like their game and now they're trying to make another possibly great game in the same setting that I loved in the last game. Them bastards!"

Come on think for a second. They potentailly make another ass kicking game and everyone is happy. The worst thing that can happen is that its terrible and blah blah blah....

Its their franchise and they do what they will. I'm personally just happy that they delivered a great game the first time and am hopeful that the next time I visit Rapture its as pleasurable and terrible as the last time.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Did you guys even like the first one? If so, I thought you would be like "Awesome, I get another chance to explore the city of Rapture through a hopefully thrilling storyline and atmoshpere as the last Bioshock." Not like "Motherfuckers! They know I like their game and now they're trying to make another possibly great game in the same setting that I loved in the last game. Them bastards!"
I learned my lesson as a kid with Alien Resurrection. There are some franchises where a sequel can do well or add to a universe. There are some where...it doesn't work. Alien 3 finished off the franchise in a way that gave closure. It would not make sense to make any more. But they did. And the fourth was terrible.

Bioshock is perfectly fine as it is, and really, it just feels silly to go back. It feels like you explored all there really is to Rapture, so going back doesn't feel necessary. A prequel just seems to be beating a dead horse, because honestly, unraveling the mystery and piecing together how Rapture fell is part of what made Bioshock amazing. I don't want it spelled out to me. Third, we need to be in a location that is completely isolated from the rest of the world. Well, the only thing that beats underwater, which would be trite to repeat, would be outer space, in which case you might as well call it System Shock 3.

Plus, while the fact that the original developers aren't working on Bioshock 2 means we could find some nice new ideas from a new team, I somehow doubt they will find a guy as well read and intelligent as Levine to provide an excellent story with so many layers and symbols to it.

Yeah, I enjoyed Bioshock. Now I'm ready to see what else Levine wants to do, as Bioshock simply feels....done. It's not like Fable, where there was so much they could still do with the franchise, the story and the universe, and hence Fable 2. It's not like Half-Life or Halo, both of which left off saying "you're not done yet". It had a pretty definitive ending, and doesn't need a sequel.

Even if the game is fun, I expect the story to suck, and that alone keeps me from being interested.