Polyphony Explains Gran Turismo 5 Delay, Sony Unhappy

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Polyphony Explains Gran Turismo 5 Delay, Sony Unhappy

Though the head of Polyphony Digital has apologized for the recent delay of Gran Turismo 5, it still makes Sony sad.

It was believed that announced [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BSA1C6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?ie=UTF8&cloe_id=6c14645a-0173-4eb4-a9f5-82c117049929&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002BSC57U&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1FYK9WCK1FPSZ0PW20FF] the game would be delayed once again. Polyphony head Kazunori Yamauchi recently took to Twitter to explain why it was delayed less than three weeks away from its supposedly final release date, but every explanation in the world wasn't good enough to cheer up Sony.

Kotaku translates Yamauchi's tweet to: "Apologies for the delay. It's because time and labor were spent ironing the kinks out of [Gran Turismo 5's] complex system. I'm really sorry. Everyone, it's inexcusable... Wait a little longer." The game is still planned for release by the end of 2010, with Andriasang translating a later tweet to: "I believe we won't keep you waiting until [the end of the year]."

Sony Computer Entertainment America producer Taku Imasaki further explained the situation to the New York Times. "We're really close, but this was an executive decision that was made yesterday," he said. "Realistically, we thought we had a good date. We're not happy over here."

Imasaki confidently said that racing game fans "won't see too much more delay." Unlike Duke Nukem Forever, which was constantly delayed with little to no gameplay ever shown until recently [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103223-Gearbox-Made-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Confirmed-at-PAX], Gran Turismo 5 at least hasn't been hiding behind a curtain. Seriously though, let's just get this thing out already, okay?

Sources: Kotaku [http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/13/gran-turismo-5-is-delayed-again/]

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
This game has taken for fucking ever to come out. In between it's announcement and it's release I've been playing a ton of cool and fun racers. This is just lame

Physics Engine

Aug 18, 2010
Well... at least it gives me more time to finally buy a PS3 and a G27 then.

*fires up Forza 3, forgot about broken class system...

When's GT5 coming out?

Oh, right.

Dammit!

*sigh

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
I don't have a PS3 nor am I a big fan or racing sims, and I never thought I'd say this but...
Can't they just release the damn game already then patch in whatever the hell they needed to do later?

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I don't really like racing games. I had GT3 back when that came out and I enjoyed it somewhat. It was a really good racing game, problem is, I don't really like racing games.

I'm sure this will be a fantastic racer for people into that sort of thing but its really just not for me. Its not even so much that I dislike the actual racing concept its that the game feels too basic for me. Its just racing. No real story, no real motivation other than "First is good". I feel detached from the experience. It doesn't immerse me very well.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
armageddon74400 said:
I don't have a PS3 nor am I a big fan or racing sims, and I never thought I'd say this but...
Can't they just release the damn game already then patch in whatever the hell they needed to do later?
That's a bad mentality for developers to have. A surprisingly large number of consoles aren't connected to the internet. Releasing a broken game to use the people who buy it at launch as beta testers only to fix it later screws over a decent number of people. Its better the way they're doing it, as annoying as it may be.

Lovelocke

Apr 6, 2009
I always explain to people "there needs to be 10 console-exclusive must haves... not 10 console-exclusive high profile titles". Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War III... am I to understand PS3's been out for five years and they only have THREE games to tempt me? And ONE has continuously failed to evolve beyond a playable demo?

I'm sure Sony's very pleased with their wonder wands, but they just... aren't... doing it... for me... glad I bought a 360 with its 3 or 4 "definitive" racing sims already out the door.

I *love* Gran Turismo, but I thought GT4 was playable forever... there's literally nothing I can imagine aside from Graphics Engine Faults/Complete Technical Failures that'd keep a game help up this long.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I believe this game is gonna be a fail.. From what i've tried of Gt5 demo, Forza games pumped out every year are actually better...

How come GT5 take this immensly long? It cannot possibly be 5 times better than Forza, i simply refuse to believe it..

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Well now this better be the best racing game ever! You built this hype! Your responsible Polyphony Digital for it!

(Im gonna buy it anyways but still XD Not like the PS3 has many racing sims to choose from :p)

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Is it me or do I smell a case of OCD amongst Polyphony? One thing I'm hearing from them is that they want Gran Turismo 5 'Perfected'. Perfection is something I encourage, but I discourage it if its taking time away from us.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
This is the game I was considering buying a ps3 on launch day for... man did I dodge a bullet. A really really slow bullet.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Corpse XxX said:
I believe this game is gonna be a fail.. From what i've tried of Gt5 demo, Forza games pumped out every year are actually better...

How come GT5 take this immensly long? It cannot possibly be 5 times better than Forza, i simply refuse to believe it..
Short story, they're trying to optimize the code so the in game renders can actually look like the screenshots, and cry fanboy all you want, but the in car cam in forza raised the hell out of the racing sim bar. GT had to keep up with the joneses but had brewed up a much larger roster so I'ts likely taking forgoddamn ever to do that as well. They want this to be the omega racing game, but at this rate forza 4 is going to come out and have powerboat racing before gt5 comes out.

fKd

Jun 3, 2010
got a ps3 on day one. indeed this game is on my list of must buys. but seriously guys. ppl spazing out because they have to wait just shows how juvenile and retarded we as gamers can be. its out when its out.. dragging up forza etc is just a waste of time. its their baby and they have every right to delay. and by the sounds of things its gonna be out by the end of the year anyway. would you prefur the whole id mentality of its out when its done?

basically, chill... there are lots of other games to play in the mean time. stop whining!

ack... bring back the day when gaming was for nerds and the whole console generation did not exist... sigh