Red Dead: Undead Nightmare Release Date, Standalone Pack Announced

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Red Dead: Undead Nightmare Release Date, Standalone Pack Announced

As expected, the Undead Nightmare DLC pack for Red Dead Redemption will be out just in time for Halloween.

People across the territory of New Austin are rising from their graves and its up to John Marston to put them back down. For those of you without an internet connection, Rockstar announced that it will package all of its DLC to date including Outlaws to the End, Legends and Killers, Liars and Cheats and all its multiplayer Free Roam downloads on a disc with Undead Nghtmare. The package will cost $29.99 and will not need the original game to play, like Episodes from Liberty City. We don't know when the separate SKU will drop but meanwhile, you can download Undead Nightmare, which does require Red Dead Redemption to run, on Oct. 26th on Xbox Live and PSN for 800 MS points or $9.99.

"Undead Nightmare turns the world of Red Dead Redemption upside down," said Sam Houser from Rockstar Games. "The supernatural vibe and the return of some favorite characters create a whole new game inside an already incredible world."

The first singleplayer-centric DLC for Rockstar San Diego's hit Western game, Undead Nightmare will add around 5 hours of missions, strangers to help and town survival mechanics. Many of the voice actors from the original return for new cutscenes and John Marston's arsenal now includes a blunderbuss that can shoot zombie parts. The storyline of Undead Nightmare is a side-story from the main narrative, so you will be able to play it no matter what point you are in the game. Also, it needs to be said, with "nightmare" in the title it's possible that the whole DLC will be just a dream. It's a little lame, but that seems like the only way to keep the continuity intact.

Marston will use his blunderbuss, all his other guns, plus a handy-dandy torch to take out four different zombie classes, including an acid spraying beastie and a huge portly woman turned ravenous undead monster. More beasts other than undead cougars and bears exist on the frontier. You can break and ride undead horses just like in the original with an interesting twist: if you whistle for your horse after it has been killed, it will come back to you as the living dead. I don't know about you, but I'd be reluctant to dig my spurs into that.

There will also be multiplayer modes, including Undead Overrun where you and your fellow gunslingers fight off wave after increasing wave of rampaging undead.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not a big purchaser of DLC. Usually, I get enough out of a game without needing to spend more money on it. But there's something about Undead Nightmare that just tickles my fancy. I will throw down my 800 points on Oct. 26.

If you haven't seen the trailer, here it is for your viewing pleasure. Just watch out for undead bears.

[video=2197]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
still need to get Legends and Killers, will get this probably before it though.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
So wait this is a completely separate game!? Interesting...I shall be getting it when I can!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Who was it that said zombies are immune to the Twilight madness?

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I am so glad i've waited to buy the DLC for Red Dead Redemption, since now I can just buy it all together. Looks good though.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
Holy cow that sounds epic. I mean the undead horse. I picture it will leave flame imprints on the surface. A horse from Hell itself!
One of them will anyway.

Apparently there are the Four Horses of the Apocalypse for you to break and ride, one of them (probably War) does have a flaming mane and can ignite zombies as you ride past them, so I'd imagine it would also leave flaming hoof prints.

Hvati

May 5, 2009
WHY, Oh why, has RDR not been launched on PC? I want to play this games sooo badly, but I don't own a shitty console...