Fallout: New Vegas: There Will Be Vaults

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fallout: New Vegas: There Will Be Vaults

In a last-minute Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Xbox-360/dp/B0028IBTL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287164437&sr=8-1] Q&A, Executive Producer Jason Bergman reveals that while the Strip is the centerpiece of the upcoming game, players will still have plenty of opportunities to go spelunking in the Vaults.

New Vegas is just a few days away but fans are still clamoring for information, wanting to know everything they can short of outright spoilers about the game. Fortunately, Bergman has the answers and he shared many of them in one final Q&A on the PlayStation Blog.

First and foremost, the infamous Vegas strip has been the center of attention thus far but rest assured, there will be Vaults. "We have five different Vaults in the game. They serve as unique dungeons, and depending on what path you follow through the main storyline, you may have to venture into one of them to retrieve something." The Nevada wasteland is also "littered with abandoned (and not-so-abandoned) locations for you to explore," he added.

He also had the lowdown on the new "Hardcore Mode" the game will offer, which I think sounds pretty awesome. "Hardcore Mode can be turned on or off at any time, although if you want the Hardcore trophy, you have to turn it on when initially prompted and leave it that way all the way to the end of the game," he explained. "When it's on, players will have to eat, sleep, and drink water every day. In addition, ammo has weight, companions can die, Stimpaks heal over time, and damaged limbs can only be healed with a Doctor's Bag. While you can fast travel in Hardcore Mode, you can't if the time it would take to get you there would result in the player dying from dehydration/exhaustion/starvation."

The new Fallout game will have a level cap of 30 and while Obsidian [http://www.obsidianent.com/] "has a plan" for DLC, Bergman said that gamers won't be able to continue playing once the main quest is completed. "Fallout: New Vegas has a real ending, that shows the results of your actions throughout the game and how they affected the different factions, locations and people you encountered," he said.

Bergman answers a pile of other questions ranging from how much drive space the game will chew up to what the city of New Vegas is going to look like, so if you just can't wait until Tuesday to find out for yourself you can get the full low-down at the European PlayStation Blog [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/10/14/your-fallout-new-vegas-ps3-questions-answered-hardcore-mode-morality-combat-and-more/]. Fallout: New Vegas comes out on October 19 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I'd be interested for them to use some sort of tracking of player behaviour so we get to see, how much the hardcore option is used. It sounds nifty to me personally...but I've always wondered just how appealing this challenge might become to players on repeat playthroughs.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"Fallout: New Vegas has a real ending, that shows the results of your actions throughout the game and how they affected the different factions, locations and people you encountered," he said.
Basically how STALKER Call of Pripyat ended, awesome.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Oh man, I cannot wait for this. It's Fallout 3 improved in everyway possible with what seems like a good story hopefully.

Can't wait for next Friday.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
Andy Chalk said:
"Fallout: New Vegas has a real ending, that shows the results of your actions throughout the game and how they affected the different factions, locations and people you encountered," he said.
Basically how STALKER Call of Pripyat ended, awesome.
Or, you know, the first two Fallout's. Only difference is you can't continue after.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Such a shame that you can't continue the game after the ending; it was fun blasting mutants heads off with the gatling laser in F3. :\

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I already have my pre-order in (though I expect Amazon to get it here late).

The only part of this that really worries me as an RPG fan is what they say about the shooting mechanics. The problem with "iron sights" and so on is that your combat abillity is supposed to be dictated by your stats, even when your not using VATS. The abillity to use a gun in Fallout 3 between say a skill of 20 and a still of 80 is profound in how effective
you are, and most people who were complaining about the gunplay were mostly complaining that it wasn't a FPS and their newbie couldn't twitch through the meanest monsters in the game (though by the end all the enemies become fairly trivial).

I mean I don't mind the iron sights, but I'm thinking they should be entirely cosmetic. If the game handles like a twitch fest I'm going to be a bit disappointed.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I'd really hope at least one of the vaults is a fully functioning, inhabited vault. Making them all desolate dungeons inhabited only by bad guys makes them pretty boring after you've visited the first.

Mausenheimmer

Feb 11, 2008
I'm really torn on this game. On the one hand, I absolutely loved Fallout 3 and this game promises to improve on the formula. On the other hand, Obsidian has never released a finished game, by which I mean the third act is always extraordinarily weak.

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
That Hardcore mode is gonna be a role player wet dream, I am getting my tissues ready now.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
C'mon game, dun disappoint!

Wow, I'm usually always up for immersion but the hardcore mode sure sounds.... 'hardcore'. Cognitive dissonance...

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I love that Robo-Dog, pure awesome.

And i knew Vaults would be in them, seen many pictures and one showed a vault.

flipsalty

May 11, 2010
uppitycracker said:
I'd really hope at least one of the vaults is a fully functioning, inhabited vault. Making them all desolate dungeons inhabited only by bad guys makes them pretty boring after you've visited the first.
I agree, I was kinda disappointed about that when I played Fallout 3. Although the first time discovering the vaults was awesome. I remember discovering the vault full of the crazies and trying to fit in by wearing one of their jumpsuits, should have worked.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
The new Fallout game will have a level cap of 30 and while Obsidian [http://www.obsidianent.com/] "has a plan" for DLC, Bergman said that gamers won't be able to continue playing once the main quest is completed. "Fallout: New Vegas has a real ending, that shows the results of your actions throughout the game and how they affected the different factions, locations and people you encountered," he said.
So they haven't learned from Fallout3, or are they simply trying to pull the same bullshit move again by making the game open-ended via DLC? Fuck you guys!
Yes, I'm still going to play it, but I am not pleased. At all. Hardcore mode sounds awesome though, and the number of vaults to explore, and Vegas in general...

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Gardenia said:
My biggest question still goes unanswered: Will there be less bugs?
Fallout New Vegas will probably have more bugs to be honest, I mean Obsidian making it... I love Obsidian but all their games seem to have plenty of bugs...

Mausenheimmer said:
I'm really torn on this game. On the one hand, I absolutely loved Fallout 3 and this game promises to improve on the formula. On the other hand, Obsidian has never released a finished game, by which I mean the third act is always extraordinarily weak.
I think even an unfinished Fallout New Vegas would have a better ending than Fallout 3 originally had.

And yes, Obsidian games for consoles have a tendency to be unfinished and have bugs but they are still very fun and still have great writing and stories so I'm greatly looking forward to this New Vegas.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Actually, what bothered me about Fallout 3 wasn't that the ending wasn't opened but that the ending made no sense if you had certain companions at the end. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/JustBugsMe/Fallout The only fallout game to have an open ending originally was Fallout 2... It really isn't it that important to me, but I just want the ending to make sense...