Final Fantasy XIV's Poor Launch Leads to Trial Extension

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Final Fantasy XIV's Poor Launch Leads to Trial Extension

Anyone playing, and hating, Final Fantasy XIV will at least get another free month out of the troubled MMORPG.

Final Fantasy XI [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Pc/dp/B002I0JJ2U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1287249570&sr=8-2], but impressions indicate that Square Enix shouldn't have launched the game in its current state. If there's any light shining within the game's darkness, it's that Square is able to admit its mistake, as the company has increased Final Fantasy XIV's free trial period for another 30 days.

In a statement on the Final Fantasy XIV community portal, Square Enix thanked anyone that is currently playing the game, and those that have provided feedback. Noting that the original 30 day free trial period will be ending within the next couple of weeks, Square writes: "Considering the nature of much of the feedback we received, and the current state of the game, we have decided to extend the free trial period for all users." Anyone that starts playing by October 25 will now get 60 days free before a monthly charge goes into effect.

Final Fantasy XIV is apparently plagued with many issues that may not even be reparable in another 30 days, but it's a start. Despite a flexible class system and a focus on story, the MMO sits at barely above 50% on Metacritic due to a harsh interface, the lack of player direction, and purely annoying mechanics, amongst other complaints.

Square Enix says it is "constantly growing and evolving" Final Fantasy XIV with updates and fixes, and hopes players will be patient as it improves the game. In my limited experience with the title, I was confused by the fact that I could barely figure out what to do, and wondered if it was just me. Once I did figure it out, I was repeating the same bland tasks over and over and wandering across the landscape with basically no direction. I can at least take solace in knowing that I wasn't alone, and instead Square Enix may not have released the caliber of product that typically bears the Final Fantasy name.

Source: Final Fantasy Lodestone [http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=60bd5ecff1b7645d4e1ead107941f0d8c4e88994]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Interesting tactic, though I'm doubtful it will be enough. Certainly there are going to be enough diehards (and Square fanboys) around to keep to viable but if an MMO doesn't have an absolutely amazing launch it's pretty much dead in the water as far as longevity and competitiveness goes.

Jul 22, 2009
I still don't understand why they feel the need to release Final Fantasy MMOs.

I instantly am not going to play one because of subscription fees, I have an expensive enough lifestyle as it is without having to pay per month to play a game.

Just stop trying to make multiplayer ones and spend more time remaking FF7. You know we all want it anyway.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Gameplay was terrible, so were controls and interface. Not sure if the game will survive more than few months in EU/NA.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
GamesB2 said:

I instantly am not going to play one because of subscription fees, I have an expensive enough lifestyle as it is without having to pay per month to play a game.

Just stop trying to make multiplayer ones and spend more time remaking FF7. You know we all want it anyway.
Thought we'd all been over that the remake is never gonna happen.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I think they need to take away the P2P, honestly Square has enough money to make this game F2P and support it.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
There is a reason they didn't want any videos or screenshots released from the beta. I highly doubt even 50% of the people that played the beta bought the full game, I played the beta having low expectations and I was blown away at how badly they had failed.

Not to say the game is all bad. if you enjoy walking aimlessly for hours in boring unimaginative gray corridors and flat fields you will have a blast.

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
So is anyone going to make any bets on when they'll let Final Fantasy lie down and die in its, cold, dark, yaoi-encrusted hole to die? Because I really am tired of reading reviews about how wonderful tedious gameplay, retarded narratives and character designs are.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
FF XIV is god awful. The terrain is copy/pasted, the gameplay is just plain bad, the quests take MMOs back about six years, they pretty much just throw you into the game with no explanation of what in the blue hell you need to do. Seriously, this game deserves far less than a 50 on metacritic. If you want to know just how bad it is google BFF Report Final Fantasy XIV

Jul 22, 2009
Arkhangelsk said:
Yeah I know, just every now and again I feel like dragging it up for good measure.

They could at least re-release it on arcade though... my original disc is scratched ¬_¬

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Now I'm confused. This sounds like exactly the caliber product that bears the Final Fantasy name. It certainly matches 13's level of quality, or lack thereof, anyway.

GamesB2 said:
They could at least re-release it on arcade though... my original disc is scratched ¬_¬
It already was re-released on Playstation Network. That's probably all you're going to get too, so if you want it, better go get a PS3.

Jul 22, 2009
mjc0961 said:
It already was re-released on Playstation Network. That's probably all you're going to get too, so if you want it, better go get a PS3.
I've been planning to get a PS3... for 3 years... still doesn't seem likely in the foreseeable future.

Maybe one day.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
GamesB2 said:

I have never played Final Fantasy 7. I haven't even ever really played any Final Fantasy game. And I actually hated what little that I did play of whichever Final Fantasy game. Yet I even want an FF7 remake for some distorted reason!

I am also one to be deterred by subscription fees for MMOs, and FFXIV comes off as a wasted investment for players.

What I am curious of is what was Square thinking when they released this. If it's that bad from the sound of it (and video reviews don't paint a pretty picture either), how do they plan on essentially re-doing the game through patches and updates now to try and hold onto a limited audience?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Arkhangelsk said:
GamesB2 said:

Given the massive dead start of FF14, which I assume the idea of which was to make a money printing machine (one of the side or even main goal of making an mmo in the first place), they might as well just make FF7 again, because that WOULD be a money printing machine, as all they'd have to do was add voice acting and improve the graphics, they've got everything else planned, all of which would make a successful and very lucrative game, so they might as well.