Fallout: New Vegas Hardcore Mode Earns Players "Special Reward"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Fallout: New Vegas Hardcore Mode Earns Players "Special Reward"

Playing Fallout: New Vegas in hardcore mode could earn gamers more than just prestige with their peers.

Obsidian Entertainment's upcoming Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Pc/dp/B002SU4QG4/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1287328550&sr=1-3] is known to have a hardcore mode that will be much tougher than the regular mode. Obsidian said that players would earn a major achievement/trophy for their trouble, but an early screenshot has indicated that a simple achievement might not be all that's awarded.

The screenshot supposedly shows the prompt screen in Fallout: New Vegas that pops up when gamers must decide whether they want the game to go hardcore or not (though the mode can be turned off later). The screen reads: "If you activate Hardcore mode now and maintain it through the end of the main storyline, you will receive a special reward."

The language used is vague, but seems to point to another reward outside from just an achievement or trophy, because many might not find an increase to their Gamerscore all that "special." Considering how much New Vegas's hardcore mode stacks the odds against players, an in-game reward like an amazing set of power armor or a new alien blaster would make sense.

The mode changes various major aspects of the game: ammunition has weight, players must regularly eat and drink, players need to sleep, stimpacks restore health over time and don't heal broken limbs, and Rad-away also cures radiation poisoning over time rather than instantly. It's a more realistic take on living in a nuclear apocalyptic wasteland. Exactly what reward is being referred to here, whether it be an achievement or something more, will have to wait until Fallout: New Vegas is released on October 19, or at least until someone gets a good look at the strategy guide.

Source: VG247 [http://www.strengthgamer.com/News.php#Fallout:_New_Vegas_Hardcore_Mode_Offers_Secret_%27Reward%27]

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
I wonder what it might be, perhaps an amazing orbital laser? A missile launcher that fires Vault Boys? Anyways, I hope does of us that do a second run through start to finish on Hardcore can at least get the Achievement or the reward.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
It probably is just an achievement/trophy, just worded like that to keep it from spoiling it. Like a secret achievement/trophy or something.

Still, regardless, I'm totally going to try out the Hardcore mode probably on my second playthrough so I know what I'm doing. I have yet to decide whether to get it on PC or PS3, but I'm not much of a modder and I'm always afraid to tinker with my on-the-fritz-brand-new-computer, and the PS3 has delicious trophies, so most likely I'll go with that.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Hardcore more does sound great, its just a shame I know I'm gonna get my head kicked in if I go anywhere near it...

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I love the idea of the hardcore mode, the extra award is nice but I'd still play it fully through on hardcore just because it sounds alot more fun.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Jumplion said:
It probably is just an achievement/trophy, just worded like that to keep it from spoiling it. Like a secret achievement/trophy or something.
There is an achievement but I doubt it's just that.

If it was a perk or item it would either to too good or usable on other playthroughs.

Yggdraz0r

Jun 7, 2009
I definately aim to atleast try it on hardcore.. most likely in a second or third playthrough.
It might be a certificate or a number related to one for free future DLC? :D

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
How about... your reward.... is a....

Or....

Or maybe even.... a change to fight the mysterious stranger.

I'd want that.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Screw that, I plan to start playing this on Hardcore right away :D
Sure it might get frustrating, but I like my roleplaying realistic. Fallout 3 was fun, but after a while it didn't feel like I was surviving in a post-apocalyptic wasteland anymore, which was a shame.

This might make me slow down the play speed a bit so I can get into the game on a different level. Which, let's face it, when you pay the ridiculous amount that games cost today, is not an entirely unwelcome thing.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Impluse_101 said:
O.O

How do hold that thing without stabbing yourself?

OT: I like this addiction, though I hope the reward is worth it. Some extra content, or some kind of "real" ending?

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Hardcore mode sounds absolutely amazing and I feel like I should be more psyched than I am. But it's made by Obsidian. They always offer some form of revolutionary gameplay experience and absolutely destroy it with cut corners and bugs. I'll withhold judgment for now.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Jumplion said:
no because my steam account's list of achievements for the game show an achievement for playing on hardcore (called "Hardcore"), thus it is not secret. there has to be something else.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I can't wait for this game to unlock this tuesday, I've already preloaded it and I'm replaying Fallout 3 just to get in tone for New Vegas. I may start in Hardcore right away, I don't think it's going to be THAT difficult.

As for the special reward, it way be a new, overpowered bobblehead, or an amazing new weapon, or inifite play after finishing the game, as they already stated that when New Vegas ends, it really ends.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Mr.PlanetEater said:
I wonder what it might be, perhaps an amazing orbital laser? A missile launcher that fires Vault Boys? Anyways, I hope does of us that do a second run through start to finish on Hardcore can at least get the Achievement or the reward.
Or it could be the one thing you couldn't get in Fallout 3: some tail!

But yeah, this is definitely 2nd-playthrough material. Simply making ammunition have weight is going to change the fundamentals of the game.