Hobbit Movies Finally Receive Studio Greenlight

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hobbit Movies Finally Receive Studio Greenlight

The financial trouble behind the Lord of the Rings prequel has reportedly been resolved, meaning it's full steam ahead to the Lonely Mountain.

It's been a rough and rocky road, but it looks like the pair of movies based on J.R.R. Tolkien's book The Hobbit, are finally moving forward. According to a joint announcement from New Line, Warner Bros., and MGM, filming will start in February next year with Peter Jackson filling the vacant director's post. Jackson replaces Guillermo Del Toro, who stepped down as director earlier in the year after the production started to interfere with other commitments.

Besides needing to find a new director, funding has also been an obstacle for the project, as MGM's financial difficulties cast doubt over the studio's ability to pay its share of the estimated $500 million budget. But the BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11560411] reports that Warner and MGM have been able to reach an agreement that will allow the movies to go ahead. Unfortunately, it's not all plain sailing just yet, as there is still an unresolved dispute [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103846-The-Hobbit-in-Danger-Due-to-Labor-Squabbles] with an Australian actors union, which may result in the studios abandoning New Zealand and filming the movies in Eastern Europe instead.

The original plan was to make The Hobbit as a single movie, then create a second film that tied it into the Lord of the Rings trilogy. That plan was scrapped when the writing team, which included Del Toro and Jackson, realized that there was more to the book than would fit in just one film. Sir Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis and Hugo Weaving have all signed on to reprise their roles as Gandalf, Gollum and Elrond respectively. As long as no further delays occur, the two movies will film back to back using digital 3D cameras and have been pencilled in for release at some point in 2012.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11560411] and The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/its-official-hobbit-greenlighted-30856]

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
two Magnetos are gonna be in this film :D
(Sir Ian McKellen and Michael Fassbender)

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Yes yes YES! Good! Now here's hoping they can stay on track and finish this movie in time for Summer or Christmas 2012.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Very good news. Not only has the ball started rolling, but actors from the Lord of the Rings are reprising their roles. Between this and the Cataclysm cinematic release, I'm having a pretty good day on the entertainment front.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The irony is all three listed confirmed here were barely in The Hobbit. Come to think of it, was Elrond in The Hobbit? I dont recall him being so.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Booyah! And yes, Elrond was in the Hobbit, and Gandalf was in the Hobbit quite often. At least half the book, I would say.

I've been waiting for this for quite some time. I just hope it comes out while I'm still alive and able to watch it!

rayskyrift

All that is man
Oct 29, 2009
This is great. Finally back on track. Also it seems 2012 is gonna be a huuuuge year for movies.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
...the two movies will film back to back using digital 3D cameras and have been pencilled in for release at some point in 2012.
Crap, we'll all be dead before it's released then.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
the first half last paragraph sounded conflicted. It should have read as...

"The original plan was to make The Hobbit as a single movie. That plan was scrapped when the writing team, which included Del Toro and Jackson, realized that there was more to the book than would fit in just one film.So they decided to create a second film that tied it into the Lord of the Rings trilogy...."

apart from that though, I am very happy these movies are a go. I am genuinely stoked. However I wish Del Toro was still involved. It saddens me that he had to drop out.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
I'm not really sure The Hobbit would be a very good "epic movie" considering it was a lot more lighthearted than the main trilogy.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
008Zulu said:
The irony is all three listed confirmed here were barely in The Hobbit.
Gandalf was one of the main characters in the Hobbit book. He was with Bilbo the entire time.

..Can't remember on Gollum's behalf, but Elrond was certainly in there as well.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
ShadowsofHope said:
He was with Bilbo the entire time.
Except for the half of the book he spent disappearing for days on end without saying where he was going.

Gollum was also pretty significant, even if he wasn't in a lot of scenes. But as I understand it, they're going to flesh out some backstory that was only mentioned in the books, such as what happened with Gollum between The Hobbit and LotR. This also means that Gandalf and Elrond will have bigger roles, since it's gonna show what they're up to in the parts where they're not in the book.

P.S. Thanks

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Covarr said:
ShadowsofHope said:
He was with Bilbo the entire time.
Except for the half of the book he spent disappearing for days on end without saying where he was going.
Sorry, I should have said "He was with Bilbo the entire time while he was in his company."

Then again, that same argument could be said for quite a bit of the Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, and not so much the Return of the King. He was more on his own tangent when he was not with the fellowship members.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
If they can make the X-Box game that close to the Novel (not saying it's the same), they better not mess up the movie. >_>