30 Million Steam Accounts Can't Be Wrong

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
30 Million Steam Accounts Can't Be Wrong

Valve announced today that there are currently over 30 million active Steam accounts and that its sales keep growing astronomically..

Everybody loves Steam. It's a great service and more and more gamers are adopting it as the distributor of choice for downloading and playing games on their PC. Today, Valve reported that the 30 million accounts it currently boasts is the result of 187 percent growth in the last 12 months. In addition, actual sales in the last twelve months have increased over 200 percent from the same period the year before, marking the sixth straight year of such an increase in sales. In short, Gabe Newell is loaded.

"Steam is on track to record the biggest year in its six year history," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve. "We believe the growth in accounts, sales, and player numbers is completely tied to this work and we plan to continue to develop the platform to offer more marketing, sales, and design tools for developers and publishers of games and digital entertainment."

More impressive are the amount of gamers who access the service. Valve reports that peak users hit the 3 million mark this year, with another milestone of 6 million unique users accessing Steam in one day. To cover all of that bandwidth, the Valve servers can now stream up to 400 gigabytes of data per second. For those of you wondering, "Hey, how many times a second can Valve distribute the Oxford English Dictionary over Steam?" Well, for those of you stumped by the obvious question that popped into everyone's brain, the answer is 92.6 times per second. That's a lot of words, people.

Anyway you cut it, Steam is a success. But, of course, you PC gamers already knew that.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
What's a Steam?

I kid, I kid. I like it. I bought a lot of adventure games on it. Haven't played most of them. Got the Telltale bundle last Christmas sale. You know...Steam sales make you buy games you never end up playing. Mostly use it for Puzzle Quest, Torchlight, and Morrowind. And 2 playthroughs of The Longest Journey.

*goes back to Morrowind*

It's fucking annoying to mod Morrowind on Steam, though. Have to change file dates and shit. Too lazy. Vanilla Morrowind will have to do.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Greg Tito said:
In short, Gabe Newell is loaded.
Well disguised weight joke? Hey, don't look at me that way...

[sup]You all thought the same thing.[/sup]

BritishWeather

Mar 22, 2010
Cmon Valve destroy Microsoft and there shitty gfwl. Microsoft recently stated they would support the pc but they just announced exclusive xbox 360 fallout: new vegas dlc.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I had to use it because of The Orange Box, I continue to use it because of the awesome sales they constantly have.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
BritishWeather said:
Cmon Valve destroy Microsoft and there shitty gfwl. Microsoft recently stated they would support the pc but they just announced exclusive xbox 360 fallout: new vegas dlc.
Yeah, because destroying all other companys is a good thing >.>

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
What's a Steam?
steam   
[steem]
?noun
water in the form of an invisible gas or vapor.
water changed to this form by boiling, extensively used for the generation of mechanical power, for heating purposes, etc.
the mist formed when the gas or vapor from boiling water condenses in the air.
an exhalation of a vapor or mist.
Informal . power or energy.

*cough*
Well good for them, always nice to see a primarily PC developer doing well, still i wonder how many of those accounts were forced by hard copy versions of games that won't run unless you install Steamworks and make account there...

BritishWeather

Mar 22, 2010
dogstile said:
BritishWeather said:
you sir and trying to be clever but end up sounding like a cracker. EXPRESSION OF SPEECH

Jul 22, 2009
Everybody loves Steam.
HA(!)

OT: Good for them. I'll stick with GFWL for now.

BritishWeather said:
Maybe they're annoyed because New Vegas is not using GFWL?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
BritishWeather said:
dogstile said:
BritishWeather said:
you sir and trying to be clever but end up sounding like a cracker. EXPRESSION OF SPEECH
Not trying to sound smart. Merely hinting that maybe you should understand why GFWL is actually a good thing for PC gaming in general (not as a service guys, its horrible as that).

Competition breeds advancement.

And its freedom of speech, or freedom of expression.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Presently, steam has plenty of competition, in the form of the still-dominant retail market.

Ten years out, then we can have conversations about how steam may or may not be squealching the competition. I have had nothing but joys from steam, and nothing but misery from GFWL.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
I love skewed numbers. 30 Mio is LOL. How many are actually "in use"? Not even 1% for sure as any sane player uses Steam-Remover cracks to get rid of this pest called steam sticking to your legit applications. But this created account count idiocy is done at a lot of places. Important is not the number of "created" accounts but the number of actually "used" accounts... and the number of pissed off customers.

Apr 28, 2008
Good for them.

Now how about they fix all the little problems Steam has had for ages? Like an offline mode that needs to connect to the internet to start offline. Or how about a download-scheduler, so we have more options instead of "immediately" and "never". I hate it when a game starts downloading, I set it to offline mode, and the game is unplayable.

I'd much rather schedule updates to start at night when I'm asleep then "whenever it feels like, usually when I'm doing something".

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Did anyone buy (I think it is called) Pirates, Vikings and Knights? It was free at the weekend...not sure if it still is. Gosh that was awful. But free. And that is the important thing.

I do wish however that I could put a lock on my account, as I keep buying games I don't need...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Irridium said:
Now how about they fix all the little problems Steam has had for ages? Like an offline mode that needs to connect to the internet to start offline.
Never had that issue...I can turn on my laptop in the middle of a desert, far from the internet, and start playing Sam & Max with no problem.

BritishWeather

Mar 22, 2010
dogstile said:
BritishWeather said:
dogstile said:
BritishWeather said:
Not trying to sound smart. Merely hinting that maybe you should understand why GFWL is actually a good thing for PC gaming in general (not as a service guys, its horrible as that).

Competition breeds advancement.

And its freedom of speech, or freedom of expression.
True, but Microsoft do too much unnecessary harm to pc gamers, why not support your own bloody platform.

By expression of speech i mean when i say i'm going to destroy someone i won't actually destroy someone, lol i'm not saying your blocking my freedom of speech.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Beats the hell out of anything Microsoft has done to 'lead the way' on PC. Steam is great. It's convenient, cheap and well utilized. Prices for new games seem to be going up on Steam though, which is concerning, but in the meantime it's nice to be able to pay 1/3 of normal price BEFORE discounts kick in.

In short: Go, Valve, go!