Rumor: Bethesda Working on Elder Scrolls MMO

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rumor: Bethesda Working on Elder Scrolls MMO

Bethesda and its parent company are looking for a few good folks with RPG and MMO experience. Let the rumor mill start working overtime.

The possibility of an Elder Scrolls MMO has been floating around the Web for a while, but a new rumor that's recently sprung up seems to have a bit of grounding in reality. A new job posting with Bethesda parent company ZeniMax Media has revealed that it's looking for some new employees with experience in the field of online games.

Aside from Bethesda looking for a Quest Designer, ZeniMax is on the prowl for a Lead Content Designer who meets the following qualifications:

Manage a team of designers responsible for design of encounters and scenarios around particular sections of the world.

Work with story writers to integrate missions into larger scenarios and storylines.

Oversee the balance and tuning of scenarios and rewards.

Lead the team in development and implementation of behaviours for monsters and bosses.

While that might be a bit vague, there's also the demand that applicants should have "Professional experience in developing content for MMOs." Not only that, but there's also the statement that "ZeniMax Online Studios, a division of ZeniMax Media, is a premier developer and worldwide publisher of online games currently working on an unannounced Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMOG) title from its headquarters in Hunt Valley, Maryland."

At the moment, this is all guesswork and theory, but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable leap of logic. Seeing as how Fallout 4 is already in development (with an expected 2012 release date), it wouldn't be surprising to learn that the companies are beefing up staff for a new Elder Scrolls title; if such a project is in the works, then it sounds like the game could possibly be an MMO, which could be mighty interesting for fans of the series.

Source: Massively

Johnny Cain

Apr 18, 2010
This is seriously old news. This 'rumor' has been milling around for close to a decade! (which you politely mentioned)

I think it's something a lot of people would like to see, but unless it is genuinely the Elder Scrolls engine with dozens of players at once - first person real time control - an MMO product in this franchise could disappoint millions and bury said franchise under disdain and hate.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Wua. Hell not, please. I don't need another MMO. I already got one. I know Blizzards pile of money is huge and attractive, but you are not going to get there. Give me a good single player Rpg, other people stopped making these.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm not too keen on an MMO. I'd prefer a large single-player game myself.

Ah well, perhaps next time I guess.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
vansau said:
At the moment, this is all guesswork and theory, but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable leap of logic. Seeing as how Fallout 4 is already in development (with an expected 2012 release date), it wouldn't be surprising to learn that the companies are beefing up staff for a new Elder Scrolls title; if such a project is in the works, then it sounds like the game could possibly be an MMO, which could be mighty enraging for fans of the series.
Fixed. Considering how many people are pinning their hopes for a new single-player RPG, an announcement of an Elder Scrolls MMO would be an even worse slap in the face than if they don't announce anything at all.

Just look at the lukewarm response the Neverwinter Nights MMO received. The developers have even went so far as to avoid calling it an MMO, even though it essentially is one.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Dear and heavenly God do not make this happen.
I am sick and tired of the MMO rage.
I want a single player TES5.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Irridium said:
I'm not too keen on an MMO. I'd prefer a large single-player game myself.

Ah well, perhaps next time I guess.
I agrees with the flash ninja. Considering what it would be up against: a revived WoW,SW TOR, and LOTR Online that just took a big turn upward, I doubt it would have anything unique people other than fanboys would want. And to make an MMO work you need more than just core audience to keep the engines running.
Nah, Zenimax would be best engineering something completely new for an MMO and keeping Elder Scrolls in the single player market. If anything they can make it multiplayer the same way Diablo does.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
the MMO is no surprise, this was hinted at the interview from the Bethesda software works in 2009. TES 5 will still be Single player as this game is from a different development team

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
sounds like good fun to me, although a elder scrolls game sooner as opposed to another fallout game would be preferred.

steverivers

Jun 7, 2010
Ugh, yeah, the BEST thing about the Elder scrolls was its immersion - never having retarded 12 year olds jumping around the place lolling.

I also seem to remember an Elder Scrolls dev once saying they'd never turn the series into an MMO because of that reason - breaking immersion of the world.

I SO hope its a different project, because

Elder Scrolls as an MMO is the first Elder Scrolls ill never play.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Don't want it. If people want to play MMORPG they play Warcraft. Concentrate on what you are good at bethesda or face ruin.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Exterminas said:
Wua. Hell not, please. I don't need another MMO. I already got one. I know Blizzards pile of money is huge and attractive, but you are not going to get there. Give me a good single player Rpg, other people stopped making these.
You know, that's the kinda talk people were saying with Everquest...
Still, I doubt anything's going to dethrone WoW any time soon...