Mortal Kombat Trailer Finally Explains Why Scorpion Hates Sub-Zero

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

The most recent trailer for the reboot of Mortal Kombat explains why Scorpion hates Sub-Zero's guts, but it's pretty standard revenge stuff.

You might think that there is some huge reveal to the recent trailer from NetherRealm Studios about their upcoming Mortal Kombat. I mean, the game is a retelling of the first three MK games after the thunder-god Raiden sends a message back to his former self. We will finally understand why Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Lizard all look similarly and why the undead Scorpion has it out for his blue counterpart. But really, it's just because Sub-Zero killed Scorpion and his family. Sorry, that's all the writers could come up with for this one. Dead family, revenge - ho-hum.

Perhaps I'm being wrongfully hard on the designers, but I think that I'm bound to be underwhelmed after seeing the awesome fan-made Mortal Kombat trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101195-Mystery-Mortal-Kombat-Trailer-Will-Blow-You-Away]. If the remnants of Midway haven't hired the guys who made that short film to write and create the cinematics for the new game, then the powers-that-be are doing the gaming world a great disservice.

Then again, maybe the filmmakers behind that film are working on a Mortal Kombat movie that doesn't suck. That would be OK, too, I guess.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I thought that the fact Sub-Zero killed Scorpion family was already known? Wasn't it mentioned in one of the movies, or am I mistaken? In any case, revenge is always a good enough reason to do that kind of thing to someone in my book. Though I wonder why Sub-Zero killed them all...

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
It always was a standard revenge story.

Also, my MK is incredibly rusty, but isn't it Reptile? Or is there a character named Lizard?

God Worm

Jul 13, 2009
Yeah...Scorpion's backstory isn't anything new, it just might not have been presented too well. I haven't played the multitude of old MK games, but most of the important story business can be skimmed off of Wikipedia.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
There is a lot more detail to this well-known revenge story, but you have to read a lot to find it out...Wiki helps!

Dr_Pie

Aug 11, 2009
Kapol said:
I thought that the fact Sub-Zero killed Scorpion family was already known? Wasn't it mentioned in one of the movies, or am I mistaken? In any case, revenge is always a good enough reason to do that kind of thing to someone in my book. Though I wonder why Sub-Zero killed them all...
I assume Sub-Zero is of a rival clan, and went to kill all those who were a part of Scorpion's clan.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
What I don't understand is why Scorpion is always made out to be superior. They're equal, if not Sub-Zero always seems to have a better move set.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Dr_Pie said:
Kapol said:
I assume Sub-Zero is of a rival clan, and went to kill all those who were a part of Scorpion's clan.
They didn't agree on shirt color. One clan had to go.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Although I loved the fan-made MK "What If" movie trailer, it really wasn't Mortal Kombat....just something that borrowed some loose themes from the real thing. That guy would definitely make a good MK movie though....but if it was missing the weird Outworld mysticism and supernatural stuff it wouldn't feel right.

And yeah, I've known about Scorpion/Su-Zeroe's back stories for ages, no big reveal here....

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Kapol said:
I thought that the fact Sub-Zero killed Scorpion family was already known? Wasn't it mentioned in one of the movies, or am I mistaken?
I would swear sideways that it was actually shown in the first arcade game. They had little pop-up biographies of each character that would show up between the sample fights.

Unless I'm confusing it with a different game, of course. That's entirely possible. They all blend toegher after a while.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
In other news, Darth Vader is Luke's father, Snape kills Dumbledore, and Rosebud was a sled.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Dr_Pie said:
Kapol said:
Well, here's my problem with that, if Sub-Zero could kill an entire clan by himself, then wouldn't his clan have defeated Scorpion's clan a long time ago? I mean, I know Sub-Zero is powerful, but taking down an entire clan isn't easy... maybe I'm just overthinking it, but it just seems a bit too awkward to me.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Anyone who paid attention to Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero (I know, it's hard to pay attention to that conjumbled mess) would know this.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Greg Tito said:

The most recent trailer for the reboot of Mortal Kombat explains why Scorpion hates Sub-Zero's guts, but it's pretty standard revenge stuff.

You might think that there is some huge reveal to the recent trailer from NetherRealm Studios about their upcoming Mortal Kombat. I mean, the game is a retelling of the first three MK games after the thunder-god Raiden sends a message back to his former self. We will finally understand why Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Lizard all look similarly and why the undead Scorpion has it out for his blue counterpart. But really, it's just because Sub-Zero killed Scorpion and his family. Sorry, that's all the writers could come up with for this one. Dead family, revenge - ho-hum.

Perhaps I'm being wrongfully hard on the designers, but I think that I'm bound to be underwhelmed after seeing the awesome fan-made Mortal Kombat trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101195-Mystery-Mortal-Kombat-Trailer-Will-Blow-You-Away]. If the remnants of Midway haven't hired the guys who made that short film to write and create the cinematics for the new game, then the powers-that-be are doing the gaming world a great disservice.

Then again, maybe the filmmakers behind that film are working on a Mortal Kombat movie that doesn't suck. That would be OK, too, I guess.

Uh.. this has been known since the 90s

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
...That's it?

It almost looks like an intentionally bad youtube video using gameplay footage and the creator's own voice.