276: Confessions of a GameStop Employee - Part Four

Scott Jones

Mar 17, 2010
Confessions of a GameStop Employee - Part Four

Ben ends his glorious stint at GameStop by getting small children in trouble.

Read Full Article

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
Very good story I must say, perhaps the gamestop voices carries over into the way you write or simply the story itself (because honestly, im sure we've all seen those kids who think they can get away with stuff like that and reading about their just deserts is priceless) but it was definitely worth a read.

El Gostro

Aug 25, 2009
Maybe Ben is a bit over-excited about his "authorithy" voice,if anything it sounds to me more like the calmness one learns to develop after being subject for a time to the stress that naturally accompanies the daily rutines of jobs such as retail.

As for digital distribution and physical purchasing,well,someone who wrote a book where John dies at the end not too long ago did say FARTS about it...

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
No i disagree thats not the stupidest criminal i have a topper from Kmart just 3 weeks ago
Older man walks in grabs a Printer (89.99) goes up front and tries to return it. Since he had no receipt he could not return it, so his bright idea walk out of the store with it only to be caught be the store security guard since the electronics department head watched him do all this and radioed the security guard when he tried to return it.
whats really funny is he had already tried this and failed at another Kmart only to fail (we later found out via the police), so apparently he is not only stupid but insane

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Gamestop isn't going to go out of business. Ever. They'll just change forms. They too will adopt the digital distribution business format, and stay in the game.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
A good read, and it's nice to know some people are reasonable. Still, it seems like this one could have been squeezed into the last one or something. I mean, just two pages?
All in all though, this "saga" has been very interesting. Good work.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Meanwhile: "Today I just tried to steal store credit from a local retail, was tricked into giving my home phone number, and am on my way home to my abusive father. FML"

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
What kids don't realize is that even though they have the Yellow sticker for the used games price, it's the actual official bar code on the box (the one used to scan it in the original sale) that is scanned to put it in the computer. You can MAKE it look like it's used, but the computer will pop up and say "Purchase" instead of "Trade-In"

Good series, I think I might actually miss it during next week's Issue. This one was maybe a tad short, but I've dealt with people like this before. I worked at a gas station and you have to authorize people to use the pumps. Once they get the gas, they simply drive off. What they don't realize is that the cameras are set up in such a way that we can clearly see the lisence plate.

I lived in a suburban area at the time when someone stole gas. $400 worth in (I shit you not) a yellow H1 Hummer with green flames. I called the police and told them the description of the car and the lisence plate and they simply laughed and said "Subtle. only one hummer-owner in this town"

NinjaRabies

Mar 26, 2010
I just love this article. It made my week. Shame there's no part 5. Even though he portrays GameStop as hell, I don't think I would mind working there. Especially if I too got a GameStop Voice.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Ah, dealing with the public.

I can't read stories like this without thinking of [a href="http://www.actsofgord.com/"]the Acts of Gord[/a]. Classic.

Sorry you had to deal with this, Ben (and everyone else who's suffered behind the retail counter). It's a thankless job, and often not especially rewarding. Hope it helps a little bit to get this off your chest and share stories with people who can appreciate what you went through.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Nice end to this, but I have one gripe. Not about the article itself, but this comment about the way the industry is headed...

Digital distribution is already chipping away at their business model. A day will come when the lights go out on GameStops everywhere. It will happen. It's inevitable. Might be next year. Might be in 10 years. But make no mistake, it's coming.
I chuffin' 'ell hope not! When that day comes, we've effectively given away what rights we still have as video game consumers to the publishers, all in the name of "convienience"...

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Nevyrmoore said:
Nice end to this, but I have one gripe. Not about the article itself, but this comment about the way the industry is headed...

Digital distribution is already chipping away at their business model. A day will come when the lights go out on GameStops everywhere. It will happen. It's inevitable. Might be next year. Might be in 10 years. But make no mistake, it's coming.
I chuffin' 'ell hope not! When that day comes, we've effectively given away what rights we still have as video game consumers to the publishers, all in the name of "convienience"...
Yup. F that. When their servers do crash, NOT if they crash, when, We loose everything.