Ubisoft Montreal "Masters the Language" of Assassin's Creed

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Ubisoft Montreal "Masters the Language" of Assassin's Creed

The director of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood said that the studio was in the dark for the first game but that the team has finally hit their stride.

Patrick Plourde, game director of Brotherhood, said that the team has begun "to master the language of Assassin's Creed." At first, Ubisoft Montreal wasn't sure how to create a fun open world game in that universe and Plourde admitted that creating the first Assassin's Creed was like "walking in the dark." Now, with Brotherhood, Plourde thinks that he could set a Creed game anywhere and in any time period, including modern day.

Working on the first Assassin's Creed was "an unsure experiment" that was more about "opening doors to see where they lead" rather than keeping to a strict design. By the time the sequel rolled around, Ubisoft had discovered what the series was all about.

"With AC2, especially in the last six months we realised 'this is it.' We captured a genie and put it in a bottle," said Plourde. "For Brotherhood we've got that knowledge and [we're] starting to master the language of Assassin's Creed. There are a lot of possibilities."

Plourde then moved on to where the franchise might go next. "Although the franchise is in a way stuck with the present - which is the final card that will always be there - other than that there are limitless possibilities with the brand."

"I don't think a game is a finished project," Plourde said. "You have linear experiences like BioShock and you can say 'this is perfect' and then add stuff to make it better. With Assassin's there is a lot of stuff that can be worked on, it's a work in progress thing that you can experiment with.

"It's super-liberating as a creator to be able to try wild stuff. There's always the possibility of changing the time period. You can keep the same core but because you've changed the setting you can do things like have firearms, have Leonardo Da Vinci."

I'm interested to see where the franchise goes next, honestly. After hearing that Assassin's Creed was originally set in Mexico during the Mayan empire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103830-Assassins-Creed-II-Was-Almost-Set-in-Mayan-Times], I keep thinking about what such a game would be like. Ezio meets Apocalypto? Sign me up.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=270396?]

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
It's good in the sense that this means the games should feel fun and playable and immersive and all that, but doesn't that also imply the series will start to stagnate somewhat now?

Of course saying that, if Assassin's Creed 2 was 100 hours long I still don't think I'd be bored of it before the end. Heh.

May 25, 2010
This just means they will never end properly. Even if every single game in the franchise is significantly different, it won't be long before it starts to stagnate and feel old. Besides, I don't think they'll ever reach, much less surpass, what they created in Assassin's Creed 2.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
More and more news on Brotherhood as we get closer to release. Color me excited. I'm glad to see that the developers are feeling even more comfortable now than they were with AC2. Hopefully they went rest on their laurels and keep the franchise from stagnating.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
"You have linear experiences like BioShock and you can say 'this is perfect' and then add stuff to make it better" Literary contradiction! Perfection can't be made better, it's already perfect.

To be honest I'm not too interested in Brotherhood, mainly because I never finished #2. I really should rent that again some time, was a good game.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
If they have more ideas on where they're going, why they always end things on cliffhangers?
Because that's a standard narrative technique, and can't be counted as an idea of whether people have planned ahead or not? You've got to cock-tease people to keep their interest.

OT: Just watched the latest interview on Gametrailers.

I came.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
This is actually pretty interesting to hear. At the end of the day, I agree with their points, and I'd actually love to see an AC title set in the modern day. The setting would work, what with the whole Templar/Assassin war stretching through to 2012, and the small number of modern-day bits from AC2 worked fairly well in terms of transplanting the gameplay into modern times. The only thing we'd have to deal with would be how to balance widespread use of firearms in the modern day, plus stuff like the police/FBI/SAS/MI5/CIA/whatever the hell law enforcement is around by 2012. If you could make it work without the obvious answer to every mission being 'sniper rifle' then it could be a pretty interesting take on the existing franchise...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Arec Balrin said:
Obligatory post disparaging the developer over the DRM.
I have been pre-emptively ninja'd. Almost down to the letter.

God damnit.

So, uh... plan B: [Obligatory post criticising the manner in which ACII's story shat itself inside out at the end.]

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
uro vii said:
Random Argument Man said:
If they have more ideas on where they're going, why they always end things on cliffhangers?
Because they have to yet reached where they intend to go.
Or they can milk the franchise on a yearly bases.