New Study Says Gamers Are Okay With 3D Glasses

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Study Says Gamers Are Okay With 3D Glasses

The waters have become a little muddier with the release of a new survey showing that 80 percent of gamers are okay with having to wear glasses in order to play games and watch movies in 3D.

A couple of weeks ago we told you about a survey that found that nearly two-thirds of console owners have a gross misunderstanding [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104104-Majority-of-Consumers-Dont-Understand-Realities-of-3D] of how 3D works, believing that a firmware or software update is all that's required to make their equipment capable of displaying it. Even more, 83 percent, were unaware of glasses-free 3D technology on the horizon and nearly half said that glasses were the number-one reason they weren't interested in going 3D at all.

But now another study, this one conducted by the U-Decide Initiative, has been released that contradicts those findings, indicating that 80 percent of gamers say they're perfectly willing to wear glasses in order to experience videogames and Blu-ray movies in 3D. Without glasses, the figures rise to 92 and 91 percent respectively. 65 percent of respondents said they already own an HDTV, while 35 percent are looking to buy a 3D HDTV within the next two years.

The survey took in nearly 1200 respondents, 735 gamers that don't yet own 3D equipment and 434 "experienced stereoscopic 3D gamers" who do. The two groups were surveyed separately "to reflect their experience and unique perspectives" and while only the preliminary results [http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11877&Itemid=114] have been released, the full report in November will cover a wide range of topics including the breakdown of PC and console gamers, amounts gamers are willing to spend on 3D hardware, obstacles preventing the purchase of 3D equipment and much more.

"If you are concerned about the impact Stereovision-3D is having on the gaming market, then you should check out U-Decide's latest findings, and consider becoming a supporting S3DGA [S-3D Gaming Alliance ] member," said Dr. Jon Peddie of Jon Peddie Research [http://www.jonpeddie.com/].

S-3D Gaming Alliance [http://www.mtbs3d.com/], whose members include Panasonic, LG, EA, Blitz Games Studios and others. The U-Decide survey was "made possible" by the S3DGA, EA, Ubisoft, Blitz Games Studios, Steelseries, Panasonic, Computer Power User and Zalman.

But there's a big difference between being willing to wear glasses while you game, and being willing to fork over a couple hundred bucks apiece for them. So what's it all prove? Two things, I think: The 3D arena is still fraught with risk and statistics can be used to prove pretty much whatever you want them to.

via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-20-80-percent-willing-to-game-with-3d-glasses]

Feb 13, 2008
uh...do we really want to do a straw poll here to check this claim?

I'll put a fiver that it's the other way around. Especially if I get to write the question.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
A new study says I can stick my foot up the ass of a panda from twenty foot away. I swear to God, studies more often than not are just complete nonsense.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I tried the demo pair of 3D glasses at a Sony store once and those didn't bother me at all. Of course I wear a headset to small for me with no padding so I guess I really cant speak for the average customer/gamer :p

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

I'll put a fiver that it's the other way around. Especially if I get to write the question.
Let's do that. I claim BS on this study. 80%? Hell no. Never.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
I'm not, I would lose those SO fast, and I'm sure i wouldn't be the only one!
I bet this study was funded be the 3dtv manufacturers.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008

Seriously, study something that's acctualy useful!

And i call Bullshit on this.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
I have never had any problem with the glasses.
I actually have nothing against 3D. 3D is the future, and in a couple of years it'll be refined and affordable, like HD, and I will buy it and it'll be awesome.

Addendum; Some call bullshit on the test, and they might be right, but I simply don't see what's horrible about having glasses on.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010

Just notice how "No glasses needed" always clears by atleast 11%

It's a fad, it depends on how many people you poll really. It's hard to makea claim on too few people.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Oh, I just checked out the site. They want you to pay money for seeing the full report, that includes their premisses and their testants. Obviously this is a hoax to try people from the industry to pay for their "study".

I can't think of any real scientist that would charge people that want to check if he is talking bullshit or not.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008

Indeed. Personally I can't stand 3D even without the damn things.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
A study agrees with the forum majority, they decalre it as proof. A study disagrees, they declare it garbage. Unsurprising.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
Let me guess where they got those numbers... facebook right? I can only imagine how many of those "gamers" only have farmville in their libraries.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
Where's the desire to not want to watch 3D at all?
I don't have a desire to watch shit in 3D. Play games, yes, but watch films? No, because a vast majority of films that utilise 3D either (a) add 3D as an afterthought, resulting in cheesy looking effects, or (b) build their film alround the idea of 3D...resulting in cheesy looking effects.

The only film to possibly use 3D well would be Avatar, though I can't comment on that because I haven't watched it. The rest quite haven't grasped that having shit fly at you doesn't equal a good film.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
AC10 said:
Let's do an escapist poll and find out the truth then, shall we?
Escapist poll != truth.
Honestly? I'm not surprised. Although the number is a bit high, in my opinion.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
By 'Gamers' they mean causual gamers, and by poll, they mean 'asking random people off the street if they would play a 3d game'.

I HAVE SPOKEN.