Question of the Day, October 21, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, October 21, 2010

A group of scientists at the University of Ljubljana are training robots to punch humans [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104390-Robot-Punches-People-to-Learn-Asimovs-Laws]. No, it's not a practice in sadism, but a way for robots to learn one of Asimov's basic laws: "A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm." By testing pain thresholds, robots can be programmed to avoid accidentally (or otherwise) harming a human. Would you let a robot punch, or otherwise harm you, for the eventual benefit of mankind?

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I said "this just sounds like a bad idea" because it does, I mean a robots punch would come from some serious mechanical movements, could malfuncion which would result in untold amounts of force.

On top of all that, nothing is mentioned about the "fist" being covered or not, uncovered metal will probably bend after really hurting you, covered wouldn't be so bad, but, no, this idea is not for me.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Where's the "I have more honor than that" poll option?

OT: Of course not. I could spend my time doing more productive things in my life. Not develop a robot that will have its first blue-screen in the next 20 years. THAN you've made it to Windows 98 standards....

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Uhm. How about we get a dummy with realistic fake human physiology? We don't need to test pain thresholds, we just need to make sure the skull doesn't explode.

More importantly, using a human to test whether or not the robot will harm a human? That's just not logical.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Did anyone else see that question and think that they were making a sly reference to a certain robot in Fallout:NV?

Or am I just weird for thinking that?

Yeah... I probably am.

*ahem*

Moving on.

OT: Yes. But only if (a) I was being hit on the arm or leg and (b) the object striking me was blunt.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Zhukov said:
Did anyone else see that question and think that they were making a sly reference to a certain robot in Fallout:NV?

Or am I just weird for thinking that?

Yeah... I probably am.

*ahem*

Moving on.

OT: Yes. But only if (a) I was being hit on the arm or leg and (b) the object striking me was blunt.
actually i think its about the guy whos doing this test to see if robots can know what are pain limit is so they dont violate robotics rule one

on a side note heres a real question who here when they make one in 10 to 20 will sleep with a robot?

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
nope, what's the point?

I'd rather not be hurt by a robot, I imagine it to be powerful as well...

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Well right now they are only testing small robots. And they are showing how much force the human can take.

Now I know I'm getting a little away from things, but won't they need to test many robots of many different sizes? Add on any work specific tools. that can't touch humans... the robot dropping objects... There's ALOT of programming to be done.

I think I'd volunteer for the basics

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
I hear there's another college student working on making skynet... lets pray these 2 never meet