Review: Kirby's Epic Yarn

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Kirby's Epic Yarn

It's industrial strength adorable all tied up with string.

Read Full Article

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I'm sure this is a great game, but I wanted a 3-D Kirby with power theiving. The first Kirby console game to come out in 10 years shouldn't have been a side scroller. Especially not after people were expection 3D Kirby after seeing Kirby Air Ride. If I wanted to play a yarn platfirmer, I'm gonna go for Little Big Planet. Again I'm not saying this game is bad, I just don't like the idea of it.

Is...Is that good enough not to be flamed?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Buldges and zippers?

This game is starting to sound a little kinky.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
I still can't help but think this wasn't a Kirby game when it was pitched, but they tied it in for an easy sell.

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
One joke, I don't want to check out Kirby's bulge.

And, I'm more thrown out with the "Kirby having an apartment" thing.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Artemus_Cain said:
One joke, I don't want to check out Kirby's bulge.

And, I'm more thrown out with the "Kirby having an apartment" thing.
What's wrong with Kirby having a bachelor pad? Even pink balls of fluff need a place to bring the ladies.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Considering the currenty UK release date seems to be March 2011, I'm just gonna sit here and sulk.

Apr 28, 2008
Hm... Your video review is kind of hard to understand. I couldn't hear anything with such insane amounts of cuteness(D'AAAWWWWW he's a little car! SO CUTE!) flooding my eyes.

Kirby games have always been fun, fantastic platformers. This seems no different, and that makes me happy.

Also:
[HEADING=1]D'AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW[/HEADING]

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Is...Is that good enough not to be flamed?
Of course! It's the "Nintendo's out of ideas/wii sucks because I don't like Wii Sports" crowd that gets flamed, not people like you who simply don't want to play a new game.

OT: I'll probably wait for Christmas, since I'm broke, but I look forward to playing this.
Also, AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :D

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Another reason to purchase a Wii. They are steadily increasing...

If Epic Mickey is as super fantastic as it is predicted to be, that might be the tipping point for me. We'll see. Nice review, by the way.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
You can't die in this game. A big part of gaming for me is exploring a hostile environment and making it out alive, hence why I like the horror genre and Demon's Souls is my favorite game this gen by leaps and bounds, as well as being my second favorite game of all time.

Kirby is therefore really not my thing.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
That dance kirby and prince fluff did at the end...reminds me of the fusion dance from dragonball xD

Want this game, nao! :p

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
This is not going to make me run out and buy a Wii, but I appreciate any game that attempts a unique visual style, especially when it looks like it was successful.

And according to my friend, apparently this has niche appeal to the gamer/knitter crowd.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I got the throbbing ache of "too much cuteness" just from looking at this video.. And I still want it! Yow!

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Dammit, guys, stop giving me reasons to keep the Wii!

I currently only have two games for it (clue: they both involve our friend Travis Touchdown) 'cos I've been planning to trade it in for a while now but I might just have to play this first.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Its games like this the reason why I regret not having a Wii.

Looks very enjoyable, but I fear it might be too simplistic and easy for me. Still I'd love to play it.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Moriarty70 said:
I still can't help but think this wasn't a Kirby game when it was pitched, but they tied it in for an easy sell.
Well... Sort of. But this is Nintendo, they do this with pretty much all of their first-party characters. And if its a good game, why not go with it? I'm just a little bamboozled by the lack of his signature puff-n-float ability.
Scrumpmonkey said:
The Cute. IT BURNS!!

The yarn nature of the universe is really taken to heart, everything is yarn in a way i really didn't expect it to be. It's so extensive and well implemented and i don't think it will get old. A truely unique looking game. I know people will compare it to LBP but i found that game to have borderline broken platforming.
OK, this has really been bothering me:
[.spoiler]
I can't help but feel like they're revisiting the massive, "Meh" of Yoshi's story, when it comes to the settings and some of the visuals, and adding in what they've done in side scrollers for the past decade.
All the better, really.

I guess the thing that's bothered me about Kirby lately is the distinct lack of a true evil since Kirby 64. I mean, a evil yarn guy doesn't have quite the same effect as a bleeding eye that embodies suffering and hatred. Zero was a great antagonist for Kirby 'cause it pushed you a bit out of your comfort zone and made you have to rethink the entire game when this thing's hemorrhaging from your magical pom-pom happy lasers of love and friendship.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
I want this game badly now! So much cute... must... have... it! xD

Also, thanks for totally making my day and cheering me up with this review ^_^