PS3 Exclusive Developers Tapping Into Console's True Potential, Says Sony

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
PS3 Exclusive Developers Tapping Into Console's True Potential, Says Sony

It's an exciting time to be involved with the PS3, says Sony Worldwide Studio's European VP, Michael Denny.

Denny says that Sony's first party developers, as well as third party developers that work exclusively with the PS3 like Sucker Punch, are starting to really get to grips with the console, and are figuring out how to get the best performance out of it.

Sony has made a lot of noise in the past about its undeniably strong group of first party developers, and Denny said that the communication between these studios, and the tricks and tips they learned from each other, was pushing the envelope for PS3 games. In fact, Denny explained, a big part of the philosophy behind Sony Worldwide Studios - which is the umbrella organization that covers first party developers like Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, and Guerrilla Games - had been to set up a network of hardware specific teams that retained their "individual views and creativity," but could lean on each other for support.

Denny foresaw a lot of exciting things in the PS3's future, especially with 3D gaming and the PlayStation Move expanding the scope of what developers could do with the console even further.

As a Sony executive, and in particular, one who deals with the company's first party teams, you have to approach Denny's comments about the PS3's glorious future with a certain degree of skepticism. But even taking that into account, there's every chance that first party developers really are starting to get the best out of the PS3, which is great news for everyone that owns one. You do have to wonder though, what games we've missed out on because Sony deliberately made its developer kit difficult to use [http://news.cnet.com/sony-ps3-is-hard-to-develop-for-on-purpose/] to inflate the longevity of the console.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271296?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
It's like communism, minus the oppression, and instead of currency that's being shared, its ideas.

Dec 14, 2009
"Heys guys! We've made a new console, the only problem is that we won't be using the console to it's full pontential until 3-5 years after release!"

Like buying an oven and not realising it has a grill a couple of years after you've bought it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
"Heys guys! We've made a new console, the only problem is that we won't be using the console to it's full pontential until 3-5 years after release!"

Like buying an oven and not realising it has a grill a couple of years after you've bought it.
Exactly. What kind of tactic is this?

Sounds kinda like an attention-seeker to me.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Well you have to admit, PS3 exclusives are usually beautiful. Littlebig Planet doesn't even look like a game most of the time, it looks like you're playing with toys made out of real materials.

So yeah, I'd buy what he's saying.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Nouw said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Exactly. What kind of tactic is this?

Sounds kinda like an attention-seeker to me.
Come on guys, surely you know better than this, you don't learn anything in an instant now do you?

Because you two are being so hard on Sony I expect your replies to be done in Sanskrit, fluently, right now.

Jul 22, 2009
Well really you can say that about any console...

Sony are only making a big song and dance about it because many developers criticised how hard their dev kit was.

'It's okay guys! People who are basically owned by us are doing well and using the tech to it's full potential... other developers can go suck it... especially ones friendly with Microsoft... man I hate Microsoft'

I am not impressed ¬_¬

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
That's funny, because of course, we know how GT5 is suffering from slowdowns. :p

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Maybe the reason there are so many PS3 fanboys is because sony constantly adds fuel to the flame like this.

Apr 28, 2008
Halyah said:
.... wait wait. They made their developer kit difficult to use on purpose? Did I misread something or?
From what I hear they did this because they didn't want crappy shovel-ware to get on the PS3.

OT: So thats why in every first party and most third party games PS3 exclusive game's credits all of the main PS3 software devs are listed. Interesting.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'm pretty sure it's always been standard for console developers to start discovering the "true potential" of any given console about halfway through its life cycle.

Nothing new under the sun.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
JediMB said:
I'm pretty sure it's always been standard for console developers to start discovering the "true potential" of any given console about halfway through its life cycle.

Nothing new under the sun.
And lo, the voice of reason was heard by all.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Well, it is true in the end. You just aren't going to see things like Uncharted 2's train and building collapse level on the 360, nor are you going to see a game as massive and complicated as Gran Turismo 5 running at 60FPS in full 1080p (most of the time). God of War 3's Titan sequences are probably in that category as well. And I believe Kojima Productions have said that MGS4 just couldn't be done on the 360 without a huge rework of the engine? The first inFamous looks like something that could be run on the 360, but the second could be different with more experience behind it.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Xzi said:
kibayasu said:
Well, it is true in the end. You just aren't going to see things like Uncharted 2's train and building collapse level on the 360, nor are you going to see a game as massive and complicated as Gran Turismo 5 running at 60FPS in full 1080p (most of the time). God of War 3's Titan sequences are probably in that category as well. And I believe Kojima Productions have said that MGS4 just couldn't be done on the 360 without a huge rework of the engine? The first inFamous looks like something that could be run on the 360, but the second could be different with more experience behind it.
It's true if you're drinking Sony's Kool-Aid. Both consoles are holding back the industry in terms of graphics performance. They're outdated. But neither Sony nor Microsoft will admit to it because they have a mutually beneficial agreement to keep the cash train rolling without having to invest more money into new hardware.

Crysis 2 on PC will look better than anything the PS3 or 360 have released within the next five years, which is supposedly how long both consoles plan to last.
Man your so funny. Being able to produce the best graphics because you just purchased a 200-300 dollar graphics card *and thats just the graphics card* then a year later realizing your card is no longer up to snuff on the latest game at its highest settings and high resolutions...etc means nothing in pushing the graphics envelope it just means you were gullible enough to get into pc gaming.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Xzi said:
It's true if you're drinking Sony's Kool-Aid. Both consoles are holding back the industry in terms of graphics performance. They're outdated. But neither Sony nor Microsoft will admit to it because they have a mutually beneficial agreement to keep the cash train rolling without having to invest more money into new hardware.

Crysis 2 on PC will look better than anything the PS3 or 360 have released within the next five years, which is supposedly how long both consoles plan to last.
Was anybody talking about PC's here? Nope. Get that stick out of your ass.

Oh, and its hilarious that you mention Crysis 2. The CryEngine 3 is an engine that is built for consoles. Unless Crytek put in many many many many hours of work into it, that is all it will be. They may do that, I hope they do, but until I see it running on my PC, I'm going to assume they aren't. The gameplay demos for Crysis 2 have been inconclusive, at best, probably because they were running on consoles.