5 Years Later, WarDevil Gets Sent To The Afterlife

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
5 Years Later, WarDevil Gets Sent To The Afterlife

With the closure of its London offices, Ignition Entertainment has revealed that it's killed what is quite possibly its longest-running project.

Ignition Entertainment's been having a rough time, lately. Following the mixed reaction of Blacklight: Tango Down, the company announced that it was shutting down its London studio and laying off an undisclosed number of staffers. With the closure of the London offices comes the cancellation of WarDevil, a PS3-exclusive that had been in development for over five years.

If you never heard of WarDevil, there's probably a reason for that: details about the game never really surfaced, aside from impressive tech demos occasionally being put on display for the press (one particularly memorable demo occurred last year, via an original Xbox). Apparently, the idea was to create a fast-paced action game that could run at 60 FPS on a 1080p display setting.

The game was first shown at E3 in 2006 and then wasn't really mentioned again for another two years until <a href=http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/870/870668p1.html>a new, somewhat nonsensical, trailer surfaced (seen here).

It's always a shame to hear about how projects that have been in development for so long are never going to see fruition. Still, it's not exactly surprising to hear that such a long-lasting project finished with a whimper rather than a bang.

Source: Joystiq

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
NeedAUserName said:
Dammit! Why did I watch the trailer, now I'm annoyed about it being canceled!
Really? I didn't get anything from the trailer. It looked like he politely stabbed the ... erm ... whatever they were on the ground and then kinda just stood there. At no point did he "unleash the beast within" or anything close to that. I was very disappointed.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
That was a pretty awful trailer... Doesn't look like I'm gonna be missing much. That said, 60 FPS at 1080p would've been nice.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Considering all that happens in the trailer is somebody gets mildly hassled by some sort of robot that's clearly too damaged to get up, the music used is rather dramatic given the mundanity of the event occuring.

I remember reading about this project in Edge Magazine a long time ago. The one thing I recall was some senior representative for the project complaining about how similar all CG films look the same, stating it was impossible to tell them apart, and that WarDevil and it's accompanying movie was apparently going to be some sort of stylistic triumph. Ironic I thought, given that WarDevil looked a whole lot more generic (I feel I've been using that word too often lately) than something like Up, for example.

After that, I can't say I had much time for the project.

Can't say I'm sorry to see this game go.

Owlgravy

Sep 10, 2009
The main problem with it was trying to run 1080p at 60fps solely on marketing BS.
The mighty engine they required to run it was non-existent and all 'cutscenes' were pre-rendered.
In the 5 years creating the game they had nothing to show for it.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Meh, the trailer didn't do anything for me anyway. It just looked like a crappy Demon's Souls clone. I mean, come on. "WarDevil"? I'd can it on the spot.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It looks quite similar to God of War and Darksiders... although that trailer didn't showed anything interesting and I'm pretty certain that finishing off a red-bleeding-machine-alien-demon-dude by simply stabbing him with a pole wasn't all that "beastly" for the subtitle of the game. And, I don't know if it's YouTube's fault, but it didn't looked THAT impressive to me.