No HD Halo For Now, Says Microsoft

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
No HD Halo For Now, Says Microsoft

Microsoft is looking towards the future right now, says Microsoft's Phil Spencer, and isn't planning on gussying up the past anytime soon.

Don't expect Microsoft to follow in Sony's footsteps and release a bunch of its old games with updated, high-definition graphics, not anytime soon anyway. That's the message from Phil Spencer, Microsoft Games Studios' corporate vice president.

Spencer isn't necessarily against the idea of remakes, but says that he hasn't given the matter a lot of thought. But he did express concerns over whether Microsoft Game Studios would be able to deliver a product that customers wanted at a reasonable price, as well as how the logistics of fitting such projects into the schedule. "I'm going to think about it from the customer's perspective," he says. "Are we really delivering something of value to the customer at a price that they want? ... If you can provide real value to the customer, there could be possibilities for that."

Sony has a slight edge over Microsoft when it comes to remastered rereleases, as it's a lot easier to cram multiple games on a Blu-Ray disk than it is on a DVD. But even split over a couple of disks, HD versions of the first two Halo games would probably sell alarmingly fast. Spencer might say he's not given it a lot of thought, but I wouldn't be particularly surprised if he turned around and announced it tomorrow.

Source: IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1130329p1.html]

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
hmm, accually would love to play a HD Halo, have some fond memories of sitting in my living room with my mates playing it on LAN.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Damn you, Microsoft.
Seeing as I haven't played either Halo 1 or Halo 2 in full before, this would be a great purchase for me.
Think about the potential: You could also relaunch new servers for Halo 2 online, think about how happy that would make long term Halo fans.
But no, instead you decide to focus on losing Bungie, releasing a cheap Wii knock-off, and delaying the only promising looking 360-exclusive of 2011 by five whole months.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
looks like many people have disposable income, I honesty don't see the point and seems like a waste of money at any point just to re-play (and repay) the game for better graphics.

hang-on, isn't there already a HD version of 1&2 out on the 360?

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
mad825 said:
looks like many people have disposable income, I honesty don't see the point and seems like a waste of money at any point just to re-play (and repay) the game for better graphics.
There's a lot of money in it, to be honest, and a number of publishers seem to be tapping into it. I would kill to have The Longest Journey rereleased in HD form!

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
mad825 said:
Well my old disk is starting to get a bit worn(lost the box years ago) so if i had the choice of a fresh new copy agasnt a cheap but most likely scratched second hand one, i 'might' fork out for the new one as a replacement.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
an HD combat evolved remake? sounds cool, but it NEEDS to come out to PC as well, like the original game

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
Halo 1 cam be played on the 360 with extended resolution , all original Xbox games can(the ones the 360 compatible with at least) so it's not really a big deal.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I'd get it just simply because the 360's backwards compatibility is pure shite.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I'd only be able to accept an HD Halo: Combat Evolved remake if it meant that Thel Vadam (i.e the Arbiter) was involved in the plot as the main antagonist back when he was still serving the Covenant.
Because that way both characters would have been implemented right from the start and the character arc for the Arbiter would be perfect.

Although I admit, I would probably just rather keep things the way they are.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I'm crazy-go-nuts for Halo, but a hi-def retread doesn't interest me in the slightest. I'd rather see new games instead of remakes... I felt the same way over the Beyond Good and Evil HDification, truth be told.

I'm just afraid that this'll turn out like the Turner Colorization of old B&W movies, or the current trend of slapping 3D on anything animated or with explosions whether the film was written for it or not.

-- Steve

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
hang-on, isn't there already a HD version of 1&2 out on the 360?[/quote]

No, there is a remake on Xbox live but it has no updated graphics and minor changes

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, to be honest...I'd prefer a Crimson Skies HD.
They have Crimson Skies HD at Chuck E. Cheese's (Boardman, Ohio).

I play it all the time.