MySpace Leaks Like a Facebook

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
MySpace Leaks Like a Facebook

Facebook isn't the only passenger on the leaky boat of privacy: Numerous popular apps and games on MySpace [http://www.myspace.com] have also been sending user data to online advertisers.

It came out a FarmVille [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104470-FarmVille-Leaks-Facebook-User-Data-to-the-Internet], were leaking identifiable user data to online advertisers and data trackers. "Tens of millions" of Facebook users were affected by the breach, although interest in the problem seemed limited to those with a good degree of anti-Facebook rancor to start with. But it turns out that Facebook isn't alone.

Much like RockYou [http://www.facebook.com] spokeswoman said the information leaking from its software was actually being sent by a third company, without its knowledge.

"We have taken immediate action to indefinitely suspend their services in connection with RockYou and we are reviewing all third-party providers to ensure compliance with our platform partners' terms of service," she said.

The Wall Street Journal [http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303738504575568460409331560.html] said the MySpace leak could be "more limited" than Facebook's because it allows its members to use "screen names" rather than their real names. Facebook also requires its users to make their gender and country public, and of course it has a much greater number of users. Nonetheless, it highlights a very simple truth about life online: Now more than ever, privacy is the responsibility of the individual, and relying on policies and corporate benevolence to protect it is one of the quickest ways to kiss it goodbye.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
People still use Myspace? Holy crap, what is this, 2004?

Wow, way back then, I was still in Junior High, using freaking Xanga. I guessI kind of skipped over Myspace, and from what I have heard about it, I'm glad I did. I guess these security leaks only show that one needs to be careful with social networking sites. I use Facebook myself, but I don't post anything online that I don't random people to know.

[sub]Be safe out there, kiddies![/sub]

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
Oh god, someone's going to find out that I'm 99 years old and think that Donnie Darko is the best movie of all time OF ALL TIME YOU SAY? Yes of all time.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
HA HA HA HA!! I don't use social networking.

However all of my classmates and relatives do.
luckycharms8282 said:
Easy solution, play real games, not horrible "apps" on facebook and myspace
But they cost moneyyyyyyy *whiney whiney whinnnnneeee....*

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
If it's true that third parties were sending customer data to other agencies without the copyright holders' knowledge or consent, could those third parties get lawsuits up the ass?

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I went to Myspace recently to see if anythings changed. All i found was Tom crying in a corner with facebook written on the wall in feces.

Demodeus

Sep 20, 2010
umm..
WHY the hell SHOULD I CARE if some indeterminate person knows my name/gender and country of origin along with that of a few million others?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Solution: Stop going to pointless as hell social networking sites. It's been working to keep my personal info pretty personal for quite some time now.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
I'll add my voice to the "People still use Myspace?" train. I find it odd anything could get Myspace in the news nowadays (EDIT: Not counting menopausal suburban moms with poor social skills). It'd be like an article about AOL.

mjc0961 said:
Solution: Stop going to pointless as hell social networking sites. It's been working to keep my personal info pretty personal for quite some time now.
Luddite convention is next door down. We're discussing something called a My-space here and trying to find out what it is.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Didn't even know people used Myspace any more..

I should visit my page for the first time in over 2 years right now.