Microsoft Won't Force Kinect on Developers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Won't Force Kinect on Developers

Microsoft has a lot riding on the success of Kinect [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/kinect/] but says that first-party developers are not being pressured or forced to incorporate support for the device into their games.

I hadn't really thought about it one way or the other, to be honest, but if I had, I would have assumed that Microsoft Game Studios [http://www.microsoft.com], says that's not the case at all; Kinect will "unlock potential" but it's up to game makers to decide what to do with it.

"Gamasutra [http://www.amazon.com/Fable-III-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JGDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288125348&sr=8-1].‭ ‬"I think I said this a year ago:‭ ‬I think there's opportunity in Fable for things that make sense with Kinect.‭ But... it's a trivial equation ... that people buy great games.‭ ‬And they buy the platforms that those great games show up on."

He said Microsoft is committed to delivering the best experiences possible, which isn't a matter of mandating the use of features like Kinect or Xbox Live [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live] but of simply providing game makers with the tools to make really great games.

"What we think we do is we unlock potential, and the creators usually want to take advantage of things like Live," Spencer said. "And you've seen now that Live shows up in almost every one of games, not because I stop on top and say, 'You have to.' But they just see the opportunity that's there. I think honestly that's really what you're going to see with Kinect. But I don't want to force it into places it doesn't belong."

16 launch titles have currently been announced for Kinect and while the lineup isn't exactly breathtaking, with titles like Ubisoft [http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Central-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0HBOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288125424&sr=8-1] are working on Kinect-enabled projects. Kinect comes out in North America on November 4.

Jul 22, 2009
+1 respect point?

Well this is good, not pressuring developers into supporting a system they don't want to.

Anyway I'm still waiting on Kinect to show off the 'hardcore' titles.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
Thank God. This addon can only be used for games that are built up for it. At lest for the move its an option. I can only see this being fun for mini games. Imagine Angry Birds or Cut the Rope (is that what its called?) with this.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That's good, because it feels like Sony is making people add Move support. Whether they are or not is another story.

And I love Sony. Except for that little PSP Go thing...

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
i'm waiting for kinect to crash and burn like the rest and then microsoft trying to figure out why for the next couple years :p

gunna be fun!

microsoft: hey guys! KINECT KINECT KINECT!
people with brains: go to hell.
microsoft: :eek:

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Nah, it's only a matter of time before it is forced upon everyone...

This IS microsoft we are talking about...

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
This just means they aren't providing good third party support
Also, why with all the Kinect hate? Try to be optimistic. By which I mean, try not to think about it

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
skitskat said:
i'm waiting for kinect to crash and burn like the rest and then microsoft trying to figure out why for the next couple years :p

gunna be fun!

Seems like you are bit to sure of that arent you. It seems like you kinda called people who would like Kinect brain-less if you were to read between the lines. Maybe I'm just reading to much into it though.

OT: Sounds good. Hopefully some developer will make something out of this. Not too big a fan of motion controllers but they could be fun I guess.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Well thats good news.

At least developers don't waste money and time trying make a game using Kinect just after its been released. Slow and steady I say.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
skitskat said:

gunna be fun!

So did you not read the OT?

It's good that they're not pushing it for every dev to incorporate it into their game in some way. The down side to that is, will it ever progress beyond shovelware games?

The big names listed give some hope to it. I wont be investing in one anyway, I'm not into the idea of motion control, although I think it's a brilliant piece of tech.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
skitskat said:

gunna be fun!

people with NO brains: go to hell.
Fixed that for you.

Seriously guys...smarten the heck up. It is not even OUT yet and you are calling it a failure. Grow up.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I don't really buy it. Call it a sneaking suspicion or a hate for motion controlled items, but I do believe that if the Kinect games don't make a substantial amount of money, then they will probably start forcing people into the mines to the drawing board to develop games for them.