Question of the Day, October 27, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, October 27, 2010

This week's issue of The Escapist is all about videogame music. From 8bit tunes to epic symphonies, music can often make or break a game. What do you think? Do you love videogame music, or are you quick to hit the "mute" button?

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
I'm embarrassed to say that most of the time I really don't notices it... Though when some one points it out to me then I'm usually quite amazed :)

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I love Videogame Soundtracks, in fact very often now I probably listen to more of Videogame music than I do bands.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
This is going to sound sad but, Video game music is pretty much the only music I enjoy.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Oh yes.

I have the entire Blazblue soundtrack on everything that I can burn the CDs to.

That's right...CDs. Those old things.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I think music is one of the big factors in a good game. It helps set the mood. It gets you hyped up to beat the bad guy, or terrified about what may be lurking behind you. So yes, I do pay attention to the music.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I don't notice the music much, either because I have my own playing or because it's just not notcable (this can be both good and bad). But I do notice some, and they tend to be easily recognisable and favourites.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
I'm a harlot for a good tracks. A good soundtrack is something I'm almost guaranteed to like, regardless of whether or not I like the game attached. It's part of the reason I have several games worth of music from OCRemix, even though I didn't like a good majority of them.

Particularly, I wish to see .hack's soundtrack with the original concept for the music, given that a large principles the sound director was going to implement had to be left out due to the limitations of the PS2. Which is a terrible shame. Maybe if it ever gets an HD release, I'll get to hear the soundtrack in its full glory.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I love some of the video game music! I could easily tell people what a certain game a piece of music is from!

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Getting Ace Combat: Assault Horizon in the hope that the music is as good as Fires of Liberation. Liberation of Gracemeria is right below Hellmarch in my top 5 Favourite game themes

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
IF the game has a good score (I'm currently looking at you Vindictus) I'll stop my music. Other games I'll turn off the music if it can't keep my attention. It really adds to the game and if it's lacking in my opinion than I have other music to play.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Omnomnom chiptune.

Seriously, most of the music on my iPod is chiptune. I'm not sure if that entirely counts, seeing as a lot of it is never actually used for video games, but I love the chip sound.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
Music is a huge part of the game for me. While there are only a couple of composers I can actually recognize, Music is one of the things I actually look at when considering whether to get a game. An awesome soundtrack can actually make up for a poor storyline or iffy gameplay.