Review: Pro Evolution Soccer 2011

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: Pro Evolution Soccer 2011

Competing soccer franchises means that everyone wins!

Read Full Article

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
even though I never really got into football games since I didn't own a console for a long time (and playing them solo isn't cool these things are meant for multiplayer). And I really like playing the real life thing is better. I think I do agree that weight should be on the on field gameplay. Managing and menus is what foothball manager is for, and not FIFA or PES will ever beat that game in the managing aspect. And fluid animations are very important for immersion. the 360 passing and appropriate AI sound like what I missed in the games I did play in the past.

And as far as licensing goes. unless your english (british that is) all liscences will do is cringeworthingly mispronounce the names of your native countries teams. commentary can really get in the way of your immersion if your constantly thinking 'damn you, it's "kuit" not "koit"' (a difference that is hard to explain if your not native dutch)

looks solid

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I felt that PES was a lot harder to get a hang of. FIFA just seems more inuitive, and personally it seems to flow better. It's also a lot more fun to play with friends, which is pretty much the point in owning a sports game.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I personally feel that FIFA feels like an easier, more realistic game to play. However, I will be eternally indebted to PES to be the first title to allow totally custom formations even when the game has started.

Suck it, FIFA. If I want to pull all 10 of my guys back when I score a goal, then I should be allowed to (much to the fury of my opponent, of course).

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I love the 360 passing. I used to play Fifa on my computer and it sucked balls. I really was dissapointed, the whole thing was miles worse than the consoles version. What made me stick with it? Mouse controlled passing, joy of joys! You could use the mouse and click into open space to set up through balls for your team mates. Once you got the hang of it the game got much more tactical and I could challenge much harder AI. I loved it!

360 passing seems to be a bit similar. I can't wait to try it.

Also, I think you should have gone into depth about the PES player system and ratings. I think the Fifa ratings are absolutely laughable. The current appropriation of the skill of some players is okay, but the progression system is just weak and there are lots of players that get good too quickly or never advance past a certain point. It sucks. PES has a much better system and a much more natural progression with ratings that actually matter for your playstyle. I chose Fifa last year, this year I'll try both and then see how it goes.

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
I played the demo and it sucked. Maybe it didn't do the full game justice, but FIFA has been solid for a few years now so I'll stick to that.

Big Phil

May 4, 2010
I don't like the defensive player switcher for the very same reason it is praised here. It completely strips you of the opportunity of tactical cover. For example, an opponent you were chasing passes the ball to some player on the left wing; that player turns around and takes a long look across the wing; the switcher gives you control over your closest player while it would be far more efficient to take the player who is just standing on the same wing a couple of feet farther than the next opponent who is certain to get a pass from the first one in a second and cover him. And the tactical menu and schemes are of no particular use because most of the teams you face have slightly different tactics, thus making you have to adjust your tactics in the menu accordingly every single game.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Disappointing review. All the so called advantages in gameplay pointed out in comparison with Fifa, are also in Fifa, just turned off by default, like the auto switching, the 360º manual passing. FIFA's gameplay is very customizable, from the totally arcade full automatic game to the extreme simulation full manual game, including everything inbetween, and this is not true in PES.

And really, PES has very deep animation differences and realism for very specific players like Messi or Ronaldo, but other players feel like they are all the same.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
You said Football not Soccer.
I'm so happy.

That aside I don't plan to buy either of the two this year as playing them with friends is fun but gets old too quickly for me.
I'll stick with my Fifa 02 for the PSX thanks.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
What I don't understand is why no one sees the value in having local co-op. FIFA World Cup South Africa had it, and it's still an absolute blast to play.

Aside from more work to add another player on the same console, I really don't see why it's such a neglected feature.

Vainglory

Oct 18, 2008
I can see why you would say that you have to judge it solely off of the gameplay, but i'm a big football fan and if i'm going to buy and play this for a long time, theres got to be a decent manager mode, and pes always fell short of expectations.

Brainplant

Jun 7, 2010
Maraveno said:
This is all just ripped from fifa badly
Then again, the FIFA franchise has ripped ideas off of PES before.

Personally, I'd rather see which game implements ideas better instead of getting into the whole "who thought of that first" stuff, and while it's by no means a perfect game, PES does things better in my opinion.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Maraveno said:
This is all just ripped from fifa badly
Yeah, because there's no chance that two games built around the same sport using the same rules featuring the same teams and players are ever going to be similar :p

Maraveno said:
Become a legend mode? Fifa has had "be A pro" since whar 08,09?
As has PES. The legend mode is not a new addition to the game, I know for a fact it's been in there since at least '09.

Maraveno said:
And all the things Fifa 11 brings new and inventive this games only rips pieces of previous fifa games and comes with nothing of it's own
What, precisely, are the new and innovative things FIFA 11 brings? PES has been the acknowledged innovation leader since the ISS days, with the majority of FIFA games being the standard EA procedure of taking last year's game, changing some player names and updating the number in the title. Every PES game has had significant changes to gameplay (not all of which I've liked, admittedly, I hate the new passing system) whereas with FIFA it's often hard to know which year you're playing.

Maraveno said:
you just bullshitted your way through it entirely , You're american right? Leave the reviewing football games to europeans.... or people who've played a lot of them
I agree completely, the rantings of a FIFA fanboy are far preferable to an honest, unbiased review :p

I think Greg has covered it pretty well, and has obviously had fun with the game. Good for him.

Giest4life said:
Suck it, FIFA. If I want to pull all 10 of my guys back when I score a goal, then I should be allowed to (much to the fury of my opponent, of course).
If I were your opponent, I'd actually thank you for using such tactics ;-)

Pulling too many men back after a goal is a sure-fire way to screw up. The players get in one another's way, play in positions they aren't very good at, and having more men trying to tackle a single player leads to more fouls which, given the area of the pitch they're all playing in, leads to more penalties. The best way to play after a goal is the same way you were before you scored, or if you really want to go defensive then bulk out your midfield a little more, but pulling everyone back leads to disaster. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
Neither of these reviews have done any more than casually scratch the surface of the games, and this is incredibly disappointing.

My first impression of PES was that it was stilted and didn't flow, much the same a previous years which is the reason why I defected from the Pro Evo camp to Fifa in 2009. I can't comment any more than that yet as I didn't play it long enough to try the tactical options and control customisation but I will tonight.

Football is a lot more than just punting a ball about on grass. That's like me reviewing an NFL franchise comparing how well the players run with the ball (I know nothing about the game!).

Oh, accidently scoring when the ball ricochets off the arse of a defender - that's one of the great simulation aspects of the latest generation of football games. I'm hoping I can get that feel from Pro Evo when I try it again (I didn't the first time).

Incidentally, I don't enjoy playing the premier teams in Fifa. Matches including lower league clubs are so much more interesting and I've grown unintentionally attached to Bristol City having learned their strengths and playing style - that's what I think football is about;

Giest4life said:
You can do this in Fifa - have you tried experimenting with the formation and tactics controls? However the one easiest way of breaking down a defence is to get them to commit themselves - then you can walk straight through no matter how many there are.

I'd hate to be a fan of the club you manage if that's your style though :p

Brainplant

Jun 7, 2010
Going back to the licensing issue, the problem is more that EA have a lot more financial clout to get the licenses and retain exclusivity.

Back when PES was riding high, the licensing was all FIFA had going for it, and while PES Productions are fighting back, I believe EA will fight harder to keep the upper-hand, cos they know how much of a deal-breaker it is for a lot of people to have correct names and kits for the players and teams.

There's no excuse for PES's piddle-poor commentary, though. They really need to fix that quickly.

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
Interesting review. I think I will try out PES this time around.

I tried both demos last year, I went with FIFA, I think mainly because the demo of FIFA had the dribbling - oh, to try to go back from 360 dribbling back to what PES had, it was really an eye-opener.

I think I'll try the same as I did last year, but favour heavily towards PES. I've really enjoyed PES for a long time now; even though FIFA had various options that cover PES, I just really enjoyed playing PES, while I feel like I'm... I don't know, managing something with FIFA.

Also, I love me some eye candy. FIFA, you're really nice and all, and I'm sure you've got some really nice things under... that, and you're not all that bad, really, but have you seen PES?
Those.. curves! Everything looks so... sleek with it. Admittedly, this was through the PES demo of last year and FIFA of last year, but if that's anything to go by, then well...

Jul 13, 2010
I personally prefer FIFA to be honest. I chose after playing both at the yearly games convention down here (rAge) and I found FIFA to feel more like a team play, passing based game, while PES feels like more of an arcade game, often allowing a single player to sprint half-way across the pitch and score. Player individuality also feels better in FIFA, a you can really tell the difference between trying to score as a striker and trying as a defender. This was not really the case in PES as all the players felt largely the same.

This, though, is just my opinion of how the games felt, so take is that and don't think I'm pronouncing any of this as fact. I do also admit that since I went on to buy FIFA and not PES, I have had substantially more time to get into the feel of FIFA.